Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > National guard plan for 9.0 earthquake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:49 pm 
Might want to keep your bicycle in working order.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 8:20 am 
That's sobering. It's so hard to wrap my mind around what all of that means for my family. But one thing I realized is I was counting on being able to use my camping water purifier for water, but what if the pipes break? I guess I need to rethink my plan. Get more serious about our emergency supplies.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 am 
Exactly. And where to locate stuff. Will my house collapse or slide off the hill with emergency stuff? Will the shop building collapse on it? It is still a crap shoot.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am 
Hiker Mama wrote:
But one thing I realized is I was counting on being able to use my camping water purifier for water, but what if the pipes break?
Know where your local creek / freshwater lake is. Know how far the walk / bike ride is. Know what likely failed structures (bridges, roads on steep hill sides) you'll have to work around. I know this for my 'hood. 1km one way, 1.5km the other way to my primary source. About the same to my secondary source. Tereratry source is about 2-2 1/2 km. No major structures between me and the water. To be blunt, this one shouldn't be too tough for a hiker to get through decently. If you have a white gas stove (whisperlite) all you need is a gallon or two of gas to be good for weeks, some multi vitamins, instant rice and canned chicken take care of the caloric / nutrition, your filter (or bleach, 3 drops / gallon) for water and your set. Living in a tent would suck, but it's better than the alternative. As for storage - I'd say pick the most robust structure on your property. I actually keep things in the tool shed since IMO this structure won't fall down, or even it it does, things will be salvageable. It's also less likely to burn since there is no power. My biggest concern is a general conflagration. If this thing hits during a hot summer dry spell, all the falling power lines will spark fires. All the busted water mains, blocked roads and downed comm systems mean firefighting will be limited at best. Being able to pack up and go (on foot) in a hurry may mean the difference between decent survival and misery / death.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 pm 
I'm sure that members of the National Guard and those working for "Homeland Security" have the best intentions, but the geology of western Washington makes it fairly evident that a seismic event on that scale would destroy virtually all existing infrastructure, and has the possibility of triggering volcanic events which in themselves have the potential for devastation on an even greater scale. Carry a good pocket knife and a bottle of water. You'll avoid dying of thirst and you'll be able to slice open your wrists before the looters and gangsters arrive to steal any provisions you've cached. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."