Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gentrification? There’s an app for that.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 pm 
While these apps are obviously not the cause of gentrification, they're "enablers." Recycled Cycles is closing in Fremont, because their rent went up too much and they can't make it work. They're one of the most affordable bike shops in Seattle; they don't just sell bikes but repair them too. Especially considering how close they are to a major bike-commuting corridor, it was an extremely useful thing to have in the neighborhood. I've unfortunately seen a lot of useful local businesses go belly up for that reason. There used to be a built in correction mechanism. When a neighborhood became desirable and a flood of people moved in, that would have the effect of raising rents. But when businesses started closing because rents got too high, that made a neighborhood less desirable. Who wants to live in a place with no grocery stores? This is where the apps come in. Doesn't matter if there's a grocer; if not, just have your groceries delivered. This breaks the correction mechanism.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 1:11 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
While these apps are obviously not the cause of gentrification, they're "enablers."
Thank you. You've articulated it more succinctly than I've so far been able to. Exacerbating the problem is the consolidation of telecommunication and entertainment networks (such as the AOL-Time-Warner acquisition by AT&T), and the corporate mergers and acquisitions that have resulted in the de facto control of markets by a small number of huge corporations. An excellent example is the dearth of choices for grocery shopping; I can have Safeway, or I can have Kroger's Fred Meyer. (I don't include "Metropolitan Market" or "Whole Paycheck" because they're beyond the means of the average person.) If I drive all the way across town I can have "East Asia Supermarket" or "Hong Kong Market" or (15 miles away) I can go to "H-Mart" out in Lakewood. The end result of this is lack of choice. We get one product (perhaps with different labels on the package) and we get one message. (Okay, make that two if you include the fantasy stories from Fox News.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message