Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Malheur Occupiers acquitted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 6:45 pm 
Bundy brothers found not guilty of conspiracy in Oregon militia standoff I don't really know what to say. Did the jurors think these guys actually thought others should just continue their work as if they weren't there? As if they were protesters walking down the street with signs, who just happened to be armed? Were these the wrong charges?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm 
The acquittal is a monstrous failure of justice. I've been seething with rage since I saw the news. The evidence against them was overwhelming - there's no way they should have been acquitted. I find it extremely suspicious that just before the verdict the jury got one member thrown off because they accused him of bias. Can the Jury's verdict be overturned? Can the government sue them for damages?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:34 pm 
So, I should be able to go into a government employee's workplace, sit down at their desk with my rifle and pistol, claim that I'm protesting government overreach and exercising my 1st & 2nd amendment rights and there should be absolutely nothing they can do about it. Awesome! Where shall I go first? Olympic National Park is my favorite, maybe I'll start there...

The only easy day was yesterday...
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:38 pm 
Thank God, free speech and the right to protest have been reaffirmed!

Chico

Chico
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm 
Okay! Who all has sat on a jury (and actually paid attention to the process?) The judge gives the jury the law as the judge feels it pertains to the case. That IS ALL the jury can consider. They can't make conjectures and suppositions about things NOT brought out in the trial. I myself have been jury forman several times now. So I've been there done that. As for the trial, good job jury! The BLM has been running rough shod over ranchers for years. Some managers feel the land is their own little kingdom and if they want a rancher gone, well, all hell will break loose. The rancher has every right to use the land just as you and I. And some of BLM's policies go a tad bit too far in my opinion. Ranchers try and be good stewards of the land. After all their livelihood depends on it! Said my piece.

drm

drm
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Can the Jury's verdict be overturned?
No.
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Can the government sue them for damages?
They were acquitted of the more serious charges but the jury deadlocked on some lesser charges relating to government property. If the government chooses to retry on those charges, and gets a conviction, then there could be damages. My guess is they won't do that. There is another trial pending for the Nevada event at the Bundy ranch, and the government may focus on that.

drm

drm
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 pm 
Chico wrote:
Some managers feel the land is their own little kingdom and if they want a rancher gone, well, all hell will break loose.
Some ranchers think that our public land is their own little kingdom and if we try to collect rent on it or regulate it, they point guns at us and tell us to leave.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
well.... after reading a half a dozen different articles (including the one drm cited in the first post) I can sum up my comments in a few words: Bizarre. A jury acquitted O.J. Simpson too.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 pm 
drm wrote:
Chico wrote:
Some managers feel the land is their own little kingdom and if they want a rancher gone, well, all hell will break loose.
Some ranchers think that our public land is their own little kingdom and if we try to collect rent on it or regulate it, they point guns at us and tell us to leave.
Some? Like maybe two real ranchers. Please do not defame a whole group of people with an untrue general statement. It makes you look bad.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 pm 
My worry is that the west east of the mountains will be inundated with people who are not from there but want to come "out west" and play army. We shall see. Poor Burns. It is not a happy place since the invasion. I imagine a few charges still will be made for their use of the equipment and pickups and tearing down a fence.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:45 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Some? Like maybe two real ranchers. Please do not defame a whole group of people with an untrue general statement.
Granted, that was not my intention. Replace "some" with "a very few."

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:52 pm 
There's no way this was a fair trial - that jury was bought and payed for. If we start seeing more terrorists copying the Bundy's attempt to steal public land I'm not going to sit idly by and watch it happen. If another occupation happens I'll travel to assist those opposing these criminals.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 9:56 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
that jury was bought and payed for.
paid*

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 10:07 pm 
lol the buuthurt is epic! I think the protestors were a bunch of tards but it really was a peaceful protest and no different than the so-called "occupy" movement (which was actually quite violent, but let that go). Meanwhile, real domestic terrorists protesting the pipeline are shooting people and throwing fire bombs at police. http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/BREAKING-Morton-Co-says-shots-fired-at-DAPL-protest-camp-398958241.html http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/woman-arrested-after-reports-of-shots-fired-at-authorities-in-morton-county
Quote:
The North Dakota Department of Emergency Services says protesters are now throwing molotov cocktails at law enforcement. They also report two fires have started on the Backwater Bridge. Authorities say a woman being placed under arrest pulled a weapon on officers and fired three times at authorities on the Highway 1806 bridge. The woman was taken into custody without officers returning fire. Authorities say a victim was shot in the hand in a separate incident after being run off a road by protesters.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:15 pm 
...like the pundit said, white guys with guns are "militia". Those were terrorists who were on MY land, and they should have been treated as such. Their acquittal makes me mad. Maybe the state charges will stick.