Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shannon Ridge 10/28/2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 am 
I was able to skip work last Friday, the one sunny day in a week of rainies (not sure that’s a word but it stays). This hike had been on my list for awhile, you can probably guess why. Pretty sure it’s one of my new favorites. It starts out tame on an old forest road then heads up on a climber’s route at 3900ft on a path of roots and rocks. It needs some serious water bars, most of the trail is just a river of water. Pretty trenched. You pop out on the ridge at 4500ft and it’s just view after view. The national park boundary is at about 4900ft. The pass in front of you just calls, so you finish your climb and it is all worth it. We went left for a bit through 1-2ft of snow to 5400ft and found a lovely perch for lunch. I tried scrambling a bit further but soft snow made it a bit sketchy so I headed back down. I will definitely be returning. You can find my pictures and video at: http://www.musthikemusteat.com/sr-20-north-cascade-hwy/shannon-ridge-trail/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 am 
A beautiful area, for sure!
Snuffy wrote:
It needs some serious water bars, most of the trail is just a river of water. Pretty trenched.
I'm pretty sure this trail was never actually "built" except by boots of climbers headed for Shuksan. In the 1970s one could drive the now-abandoned road to the now-growing clearcut. The route up through the clearcut up to the ridge crest was even worse then. People ( I assume volunteers) have done some work in the old growth section, mainly cutting through fallen logs, that makes it easier than it would be.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 3:10 pm 
I got that feeling and if its rough nature keeps it from being more advertised, I'm all for it! Having learned a lot of trail maintenance this year, it was hard not to notice the difference between a designed trail and this one "of the people". You are right that someone has come in and cut through some of the big logs over the trail and cut back the brush in the first mile (based on change from previous trip report) but no real maintenance. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
capbiker

capbiker
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 pm 
I was over on Rainbow Ridge same day....stellar views and upclose encounter with Mt. Baker. Felt humbled to experience such a day in late October.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 am 
My hikes around Baker tend to be more of the socked in variety so I was feeling pretty lucky!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:31 pm 
I thoroughly enjoyed a trip to Shannon Ridge this summer. Agree the trail is fairly rough and not entirely pleasant to begin with, but payoff is very worth it. Seems very undervalued as a hiking destination, basically it's a climbers approach trail. I continued beyond the pass to the edge of a glacier and got a great view of Shuksan's summit pyramid.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:14 pm 
Nice photos! That old clearcut is one of the few places I've seen a cougar up close. Back in the 60's I sat down and leaned against a big stump. A few minutes later I looked up and a cougar was staring down at me from 2 ft above my head on top of the stump. Most of the others I've seen in my life have been around Baker Lake also.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:32 pm 
@olderthaniusedtobe I can imagine the view from the right side of the pass is an amazing one of Shuksan. I hope to return and explore more!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:34 pm 
@Schroder Thank you! The only place I've seen an actual cougar is in the Olympics and prints above Stehekin. It makes sense to keep an eye out there as well!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 7:55 am 
Schroder wrote:
looked up and a cougar was staring down at me from 2 ft above my head on top of the stump.
Whoa! Bet that increased your pulse rate. eek.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still