Forum Index > Gear Talk > Merino Wool Socks Back at Costco
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 8:25 pm 
The 80% merino wool socks are back at Costco! They were gone through the warm months and now they are back for winter. Best deal around on medium weight wool socks. 4 pairs for $12.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 am 
They seem to be thinner than last year. Still a good buy.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Sep 30, 2016 8:30 am 
Thinner? They didn't seem any different to me at all so I weighed them alongside a pair that I had barely worn from last year. The new pair was 3.2 oz Last year's pair was 2.9 oz They both are 80% Merino wool. I think they are exactly the same. Since I had worn last year's pair a few times, it had probably lost .3 oz of wool from wear and tear.

hermes

hermes
PostFri Sep 30, 2016 11:49 am 
Didn't see any 80% Merino at Kirkland store. They do have 70% Merino wool socks - are they ok?

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 4:14 am 
I think they feel lighter because they are taller.Maybe same weight but longer?Definitely differant.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm 
My mistake. They are not 80% wool. They are 70% merino wool and 29% nylon. This weekend I was checking out Cabellas when I saw a bin with a sign that said "wool socks" I thought they looked almost exactly like the Costco socks but when I looked at the tag it turned out they were only 20% wool! Personally, I think it's wrong to call anything with less than 50% wool, a "wool sock." Manufacturers fudge with this because usually the wool costs more than synthetics or cotton. So they put a tiny amount of wool in a sock to keep the price down and then call it wool. Buyer beware! rolleyes.gif

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 pm 
They are definitely not the same. down.gif I knew this before I bought but the old ones were way past time for replacement. After a few washes they are starting to pile and show wear. Unfortunately confirms all the bad reviews I had read. These are the new version which are blue and black not the light green of old. The old version were also noticeably thicker in the toe and heel area and more comfortable. The new ones are a more uniform thickness. Will complain to costco Might get lucky and they will switch back to previous supplier for next year. Hand written letter sent to CEO will get attention ,but online complaints or in store go nowhere. Maybe just a secretary's attention but a powerful one. For now will need to shop for replacements.