Forum Index > Gear Talk > Crampon opinions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 5:08 pm 
Anyone have any insight/opinions/recommendations on any of these? -Salewa Alpinist 12pt Aluminum or Steel (reputable brand I know, not many reviews though) -Singing Rock Fakir 12pt (lesser know brand, cant find many reviews..) -Grivel G1 New Classic 10pt (would work, good reviews) Wondering if the flex bar in the Salewas or Singing rocks is flexible enough for wear on a pair of regular non alpinist boots? Ill be using them for general mountaineering, glacier/snow travel this winter and coming spring/summer. Anythings appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm 
Forgot to add, Ive found them all for pretty cheap and in the same price range, which is why I'm considering these 3 options....not rolling in the $$ right now and dont have $130+ to spend.

mike

mike
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 5:38 pm 
If you would consider used in good condition cheap then PM me

cartman

cartman
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 3:08 pm 
CAMP Stalker steel crampons are $99 at REI and other places. Universal binding strap on crampons so they will go on any footwear as long as the boot isn't too wide.

christensent

christensent
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 9:36 pm 
You mentioned aluminum crampons as a possibility, I highly recommend steel for general Washington mountaineering. You travel on a lot of rock when climbing most peaks in Washington, and aluminum crampons will be destroyed almost immediately. Steel holds up well for a long time on rock. You should only get aluminum as a second pair of crampons dedicated to ultra light weight trips where you can be very sure it will only ever be on ice or snow.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 am 
christensent wrote:
You travel on a lot of rock when climbing most peaks in Washington, and aluminum crampons will be destroyed almost immediately.
I disagree on both counts. Some WA general mountaineering routes have substantial rock, but most don't. 7000 series Al alloy is tough stuff, and good Al alloy crampons work just fine for nearly all general mountaineering routes in the PNW. My Al alloy crampons (Stubai Ultralight) have held up very well for 15 years and hundreds of days of use, e.g., Ptarmigan Traverse, BRT, Olympus (3X + traverse over Oly massif), Northern Pickets, Rainier (2X), Glacier Peak (3X, including Frostbite Ridge and Kennedy Glacier), Baker (Easton and Coleman), Eldo (3X), Red/Ragged Traverse, Borealis/Primus/Klawatti/Inspiration Traverse, Isolation Traverse, Mystery Ridge, Bacon/Hagan/Blum/Berdeen (3X), ALHR (4X), Daniel/Hinman area (10+X), etc., etc., etc. My steel crampons have not left the gear room for 20 years. The bigger point is that OP has not provided enough info re whether steel or Al alloy crampons would be better for him. He says he'll be using them for "general mountaineering, glacier/snow travel this winter and coming spring/summer" with "regular non alpinist boots." If he indeed is sticking to general mountaineering "glacier/snow travel [in] regular non alpinist boots," good quality Al alloy 'pons should do. I acknowledge that if OP is planning to do the N Ridge of Baker or Liberty Ridge or routes of such ilk, he should have steel 'pons. But I do not consider those routes to be within the category of "general mountaineering." And if a guy is planning to do routes like that, he's unlikely to start a thread asking for 'pon recos in a forum called NWHikers.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 12:17 pm 
One of the most important things is to check the fit, and for general glacier travel any of the mentioned crampons will work fine...go for the best fit on your boot.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 pm 
^^^ This Properly fitting crampons and attachment systems in good repair and secured is very important. There have been fatal accidents in the cascades when improperly fitted crampons came loose while travelling on steep and hard conditions.

pcg

pcg
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:18 pm 
irierootsnw wrote:
Wondering if the flex bar in the Salewas or Singing rocks is flexible enough for wear on a pair of regular non alpinist boots?
Yes, I've been using those crampons with hiking boots for decades. You can sometimes find them on eBay for as little as $10. New neoprene straps make them into a solid strap-on crampon and, at that price, I keep a couple extra pair for visitors, etc.

Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:29 pm 
pcg wrote:
irierootsnw wrote:
Wondering if the flex bar in the Salewas or Singing rocks is flexible enough for wear on a pair of regular non alpinist boots?
Yes, I've been using those crampons with hiking boots for decades. You can sometimes find them on eBay for as little as $10. New neoprene straps make them into a solid strap-on crampon and, at that price, I keep a couple extra pair for visitors, etc.
Thank you! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, I appreciate it! You've used both or one over the other?

pcg

pcg
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
I now use AL strap-on when I can simply because they're lighter. The points do wear faster if you're on dirt/rock a lot, however, and If I'm on hard ice I prefer the steel. Neither will work well if you don't keep the front points sharp so learn how to sharpen them and don't neglect it - it's a safety issue.

Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:49 pm 
pcg wrote:
I now use AL strap-on when I can simply because they're lighter. The points do wear faster if you're on dirt/rock a lot, however, and If I'm on hard ice I prefer the steel. Neither will work well if you don't keep the front points sharp so learn how to sharpen them and don't neglect it - it's a safety issue.
Sorry I should have been more clear, have you used either of the models of crampons? Not referring to alu or steel

Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
christensent wrote:
You travel on a lot of rock when climbing most peaks in Washington, and aluminum crampons will be destroyed almost immediately.
I disagree on both counts. Some WA general mountaineering routes have substantial rock, but most don't. 7000 series Al alloy is tough stuff, and good Al alloy crampons work just fine for nearly all general mountaineering routes in the PNW. My Al alloy crampons (Stubai Ultralight) have held up very well for 15 years and hundreds of days of use, e.g., Ptarmigan Traverse, BRT, Olympus (3X + traverse over Oly massif), Northern Pickets, Rainier (2X), Glacier Peak (3X, including Frostbite Ridge and Kennedy Glacier), Baker (Easton and Coleman), Eldo (3X), Red/Ragged Traverse, Borealis/Primus/Klawatti/Inspiration Traverse, Isolation Traverse, Mystery Ridge, Bacon/Hagan/Blum/Berdeen (3X), ALHR (4X), Daniel/Hinman area (10+X), etc., etc., etc. My steel crampons have not left the gear room for 20 years. The bigger point is that OP has not provided enough info re whether steel or Al alloy crampons would be better for him. He says he'll be using them for "general mountaineering, glacier/snow travel this winter and coming spring/summer" with "regular non alpinist boots." If he indeed is sticking to general mountaineering "glacier/snow travel [in] regular non alpinist boots," good quality Al alloy 'pons should do. I acknowledge that if OP is planning to do the N Ridge of Baker or Liberty Ridge or routes of such ilk, he should have steel 'pons. But I do not consider those routes to be within the category of "general mountaineering." And if a guy is planning to do routes like that, he's unlikely to start a thread asking for 'pon recos in a forum called NWHikers.
Nothing I am wondering has to do with alu or steel, it has to do with these specific models of crampons and any experience anyone may have had using them.

pcg

pcg
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 4:53 pm 
irierootsnw wrote:
have you used either of the models of crampons?
Of the models you've listed, I've only used the Salewa.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 5:48 pm 
AFAICT the Salewa Alpinist Alu Walk is the new name for the Ultralight, which I have used for hundreds of days on a dozen different boots. The pic of the Alpinist Alu Walk on Salewa's site looks identical to my Ultralights (except for the anti-balling plate color). If the above is so, the flex bar (steel) will bow sufficiently to work well with most boots marketed in the U.S. as "backpacking" boots, e.g., Asolo 520. Easier to answer using UK boot/crampon standards: Salewa Alpinist are C-1 crampons and thus will work well with B-1 boots, sometimes marketed as "hillwalking" boots in UK (usually marketed as "backpacking" boots in the US). A floppy B-0 trail boot (e.g., Keen) will likely pop out. Not sure what you mean by "regular non alpinist boots." ETA: IME the Salewa flex bar works very well with the roundish flex of modern B-1 boots with synthetic midsoles (vs. old school 3/4 shank boots which tended to develop a kink at the ball of foot). Also, modern synthetic midsole B-1 boots tend to have quite a bit more torsional rigidity, which also compliments use with C-1 crampons v. old tech steel shank boots, which tended to lose torsional rigidity with use.