Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > things were different in the 50's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 7:11 pm 
At our school blue jeans were prohibited, white Levis were ok. Girls could not take shop, l was considered odd because I took wood, auto, and metal shop rather than than typing and drafting which were considered college prep. I never regretted as I already knew how to type and draw. GM cars still used the "Stove bolt" 6 from 1938 up to the 60's and were usually good for no more than 5 years, unless you were in Cuba. I used to pour old oil down mole holes. A plus was everyone had long guns but nobody seemed to get shot. I went to Chaco Canyon and the ground was covered with pot shards.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 9:57 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO LIVE THAT LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really? Would you/all your family/friends be alive today with 50's medical technology/trauma care? Would you want you kids/grand kids growing up with it?
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Did they make a lot of money? No they did not, but things weren't expensive.
Actually, most things are relatively cheaper now. How about 50's income tax rates (highest bracket 90%), how would you like those?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
cefire

cefire
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 1:57 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
No damn cell phone! No damn internet. No damn 1000 television channels! NO DAMN COMPUTER GAMES! Im not the smartest man, but Im not stupid. That life sounds INFINITELY better than ours today!
BTW - you can still live without those things wink.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 2:56 pm 
CC wrote:
Really? Would you/all your family/friends be alive today with 50's medical technology/trauma care? Would you want you kids/grand kids growing up with it?
Oh my, how did anyone survive past the age of 20 in the 1950s???? But seriously: Some of the largest drops in mortality from infectious diseases happened between the 1930's and the 1950's, due to the development of many vaccines during that period. There indeed has been a reduction of infectious disease mortality rate over time, but there has been an increase in degenerative disease and chronic disease mortality, especially those caused by pollutants and environmental contamination. This all can be quickly confirmed with a search online. Medical science has improved the care for trauma victims, but a lot of trauma is subjective (Darwin Award candidates as an example) so I guess they have a lot of people to practice on as intelligence seems to have dropped a bit over the years...hahaha. In my opinion, overall, we have only gotten better at prolonging the life of sick people, but have not gotten much better at preventing most diseases in the last few decades. HIV/AIDS being one exception and great strides have been made. They may even be close to a vaccine. Polio and TB are making a comeback of sorts after they all but disappeared, for whatever that is worth. Every generation has its good points, and bad. Overall, I think people were happier in more simple times.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
JPH

JPH
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:12 pm 
I wonder if my daughter would have had a normal life in the 50s. She was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at about 6 months and spent the next 9ish months in braces and casts. Now at 5 you would never know it was an issue. In the 50s she probably would have been slow to walk, then we would have said she has a short leg, then she would have just lived her adult life in pain. Not saying overall society wasn't happier then, but i think my family would have had more stress medically 60 years ago.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 1:10 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
In the 60s, if you were a girl, you had to wear a dress to school. That meant during the winter, when there was snow on the ground and temps did not get above freezing, you had to wear a dress.
Move forward to late '60's early '70's. I was at three school districts when the "girls wear dresses, skirts or coulots (sp)" rule changed. One in B.C., two in WA. At all three there was a "girls can wear nice jeans, or slacks for the duration of the current cold spell" mimeograph sent home. Wearing mini-skirts in interior B.C. in the winter? It was nuts. And sure little girls wore tights. But Grade 10, 11, or 12 wore pantyhose. At least in B.C. you could wear mukluks (apres ski boots) to school, then change into runners or cowboy boots. Girls wore those plus some variety of strappy shoes. And a couple kids from moneyed families wore the dreaded in the U.S. seal skin mukluks, with a modern sole. One or two girls wore the white ones. Boys only wore dark or dark spotted. The cold spell was then never deemed to have ended. Even as a kid I recognized what was happening. I remember thinking it was a gutless way to change policy.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
I appreciate the well-described, nostalgic memories from the 50's, which is when I grew up as well. Lots of great memories from that era. But just to add some balance, I also remember things from the 50's and (early 60's) that were not so good, like overt racist and narrow-minded attitudes towards blacks ("not in MY neighborhood"), hispanics, Jews, "Japs", "homos", "dumb Swedes", Catholics, Irish, and others. Jim Crow laws and McCarthyism were still in effect then. I also remember "a woman's place is in the home". At least in MY memory, bullying was much more common and tolerated. There was also vast amounts of pollution going into the air (I lived not far from Ruston and it was routine to have sulphur content in the air so strong it would give you a sore throat!). Speaking of pollution, at least from the perspective a kid who lived then, something like 80% to 90% of adults smoked cigarettes and subjected their children to the fumes. Sorry if this sounds negative (I seriously considered deleting my post), but I think it's best to consider both the good and the bad aspects.
Pulp mills were stinky. I remember it being called the "green smell", because it was the smell of money. Logging units were called clear cuts because a couple decades earlier Weyco PR had come up with it as nicer sounding than the traditional term slash cut. Think "clean coal". One thing that was automatic was that if of age and you rang the doorbell you got offered coffee. One neighbor man came to our house probably four days a week. (Later I figured out he was avoiding his alcholic, mean drunk wife.) He'd often stay until Johnny finished his monologue. One long summer's eve we were on the porch. 1968 Olympics were going on. He started on about the two athletes (sprinters?) who raised their fists on the medal podium. Used the N word, and actually said "ship them back to Africa ". My Dad threw him out, said we don't talk like that or think like that and maybe it was time to open his eyes. I can still see and hear it all. As a little guy I was shocked. I couldn't remember adults raising their voices, except over baseball, or someone we knew talking like that. It was a memorable as being in second grade and hearing over PA speaker on wall Kennedy was shot, and our teacher bursting into tears. He started coming for coffee again four or five months later. Until this year I thought all that kind of talk was fading away, never to return.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 3:44 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Pulp mills were stinky.
Ah yes, the "Tacoma aroma." I was born in 1950 and I remember that smell from the mill in Hoquiam. I remember being scared of polio, of nuclear war, of "commies." The polio vaccine took care of one fear but hypodermic needles back then were bigger and blunter than they are now.

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 4:12 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
the "Tacoma aroma."
And Everett aroma and Bellingham aroma...and toxic waste

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 5:36 pm 
I liked the candy cigarettes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 7:44 pm 
I'm more interested in how things will be in 2026. Maybe series of threads on desired hiking situations or conditions, by region, in 2026, would be interesting. Crowd source a sticky at start of each.