Forum Index > Gear Talk > Re-filling your gas canisters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 5:36 pm 
If I am going for q weekend I just take a pile of partially full ones and drain them. I only use a virgin one for thru hikes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 11:45 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I'd be wary of putting propane in a backpacking stove canister. It might go in a cold can fine but when it heats up to room temperature it might go BOOM. Anyone who has blown up a canister (who me?) knows that the weakness is the crimp joint connecting the canister side (aluminum) to the punted bottom (steel). When it goes, it's a complete failure, resulting in the launching of two projectiles at mach loony speed.
There's a reason those Coleman green propane cylinders are built the way they are, they need to handle the entire propane storage tempature range. The thin backpacking cylinders are definitely for an 80% Iso-butane / 20% Propane mix only.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 pm 
I might have to try this. Looks fairly easy to do. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am 
I just tried my new gizmo. Put the recipient canister in the freezer for a couple hours and in an ice water bath during transfer. Warmed up the donor canister with hot tap water. Worked well. Donor canisters drained to near zero. I had only two donor canisters because I have been pretty good re using a can until emptying before tapping a new one. My strategy might change a bit with this gizmo. I'll be weighing the recipient canisters to ensure I'm not overfilling.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 10:39 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Good luck guys, I draw the line at refilling disposable cylinders. Like my house and hair too much. eek.gif as the King of the Hill says, "propane is a cruel mistress".
Yeah, I am going to give this one a long while to percolate among the early adopters...

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 11:16 am 
BigSteve wrote:
I'll be weighing the recipient canisters to ensure I'm not overfilling.
On one of my tests I got a 5g overfill but just vented some gas off with the button. I think this device will work well for me. Virtually all my trips are one or two nighters so I can always just keep a canister half full and be happy and safe.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 6:43 pm 
joker wrote:
Yeah, I am going to give this one a long while to percolate among the early adopters...
I plan to mark mine with number of refills and recycle after a few refills. ETA: I have no concerns so long as the seals seal well, I weigh cans to ensure they do not not get overfilled, replace the recipient can after <10 or so refills and do all refilling away from flames or sparks (or potential thereof). Should be safer than filling a plastic butane crack pipe lighter. Rubber hoses on propane tanks are more concerning. Note that I've used oxy-acetylene welding equipment for years so working with compressed combustible gas doesn't spook me.