Forum Index > Gear Talk > Lightweight pack for 5'2" 120# female; suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 am 
Quote:
Osprey Exos
+1

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 1:49 pm 
Women's-specific packs are designed to accommodate the narrower shoulders and wider hips of a woman and will carry better for her. They are not just shrink-it and pink-it versions of men's packs. Many models come in both women's and men's designs. The women's versions will always be more comfortable for a typically shaped woman. Of course, if a woman has wider shoulders, she might find a man's or unisex (which are male-oriented) version more comfortable.

Julia

Julia
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 4:11 pm 
I'm 5'4" 117# with a short/small torso and it isn't easy to find packs that will carry plenty, but small enough to comfortably fit. I've had to get my pack weight down also (knee problems), and have finally found a really good light (but not ultralight) pack that will fit a week's worth in it easily. The Gregory Amber 44 will expand to fit an average weekend or shaved-down week load, or cinch down enough to use as a daypack. The straps are cut to fit narrow shoulders, padded, but not as cushy and heavy as a Gregory Deva, for example. I've had a Mariposa and an Osprey, but neither carried comfortably for me. The Mariposa was just cut for too big a person (even the small), and the Osprey carries weight too far out from my core. Gregory packs come in smaller sizes/torso lengths and carry pretty close to the body--making them work well for my smaller size. It sounds like your friend is probably fairly close to the same size as I am. Hope that helps! smile.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 4:34 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I had a Granite Gear pack that I would say was a good compromise between too heavy and "too fragile"....it was an older Vapor Trail, it carried extremely well at 25 lbs, maybe up to 30.
That is indeed a good pack, I'm 5'2 and under 115 with a shorter torso. The size small in that pack works extremely well, I still have it and use it occasionally (have since moved on to zpacks cuben to cut weight, I don't carry humongous loads) Too bad they don't make the Vapor Trail anymore, don't like the replacement model - Crown VC 60 - as much which my husband has.

EJ

EJ
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 am 
Definitely measure torso size. I'm 5'2" and use a medium torso pack. I originally had a short torso pack and it just didn't fit.

LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 9:34 am 
I'm the same size as your friend and love my Granite Gear Crown VC in a size small. I tried a couple other lightweight packs, but this one is a good middle ground between lightweight/flimsy and heavy/bulletproof. I got it from REI but had to send in the Medium hip belt that came with it for a Small. My other pack that fits my small frame is my Gregory Deva 60 which has such a good hipbelt and lumbar system that I hardly notice that it it nearly 5 pounds. I still use for longer trips when I am carrying a lot of weight.

filbert

filbert
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 4:14 pm 
I'm all for the try-it before buying. My wife is a bit shorter than 5'2", and found that the Exos (and other packs supposedly made for women) were not comfortable. She now has a 30+L osprey pack that was designed for kids, not too badly made but if you look at children's packs you have to be wary of cheaper materials and construction. And she has a Deuter 50+L pack. Neither is UL, though they are on the "lighter" end of standard packs. As others have suggested, torso length etc. are all important in getting a good fit. Hope that helps p.s. McHale packs are _not_ for everyone, didn't work for me. It will cost you to find out.

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 7:18 pm 
filbert wrote:
p.s. McHale packs are _not_ for everyone, didn't work for me. It will cost you to find out.
Not true, Dan will let you try one for free and work with you for a fit.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 10:15 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
filbert wrote:
p.s. McHale packs are _not_ for everyone, didn't work for me. It will cost you to find out.
Not true, Dan will let you try one for free and work with you for a fit.
Thanks Mal. Dan is MORE than willing to work with you. For goodness sakes, the guy works out of his house and busts his butt to make things fit for you.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
filbert

filbert
PostWed Oct 12, 2016 9:12 pm 
I'm not _against_ Dan. He seems to be a well-intentioned guy. But he charged me $75 to try one out. For this he attempted to adjust things so the fit was as good as he could make it. I took it on a day-trip (scrambly mixed trail, off-trail, and snow with appreciable elevation gain/loss). It didn't work for me; I returned the clean, undamaged pack to him; he wasn't interested in trying to get a better fit..end of my interaction with him. I was very disappointed, having heard so many good things from BPJ and others. I still don't have a pack to replace the size that I use on that kind of trip (though my old one is wearing through, will need to get something soon) frown.gif Now perhaps he makes an exception for people who have bought his packs before. But he established the $75 fee by e-mail before I set foot in his house. I can understand his charging people - he spent time explaining his system and fitting the pack to me, though in the end this was unsuccessful. I'm not saying that his packs won't work for any particular person, just that they won't work for everyone, and it will likely cost you to find out.

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 1:15 am 
I tend to be over warm more than too cool. I like the EXOS mesh back. If I get cold I can add a warmer top.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 am 
WE ALSO CHECKED THE OSPREY PACKS AT REI oops shouting... very doubtfull they weigh just over 2 lb....with a full frame... went with an ula, but its a top loader, though they may have a panel front model.... if granite gear still makes a 2lb-2.5lb pack try one out... THAT GREGORY PACK SOUNDS GREAT!!

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostSat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 pm 
I just wanted to second the ULA packs, they do a great job. 6 Moon designs also makes some decent packs that are pretty adjustable and can fit shorter torsos. I have one of each that i would be happy to let someone try on in Seattle.