Forum Index > Gear Talk > ThorFire LED Headlight CREE XP-G2 R5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hetrekker

hetrekker
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 12:47 pm 
Cartman: in looking over this thread, I've come to realize how ungracious and wrongfully harsh I was in my response to you. I'm ashamed, feel badly, and am very sorry for that; you deserved better. Now I'm looking at my little light and can't imagine something less bulky, higher tech, while still having a zoom lens. Perhaps you or someone else can point me to some examples. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm 
No worries. I use a BD Storm as I like the compactness of it (I've never been crazy about rear battery packs); if the rear pack and top strap were removed from the Thor, that's about how big the Storm is. However, I'm not real fond of it for seeing more than ten feet away, and it has no flood or zoom features. So perhaps the Thor would be a tradeoff; a bit more weight and bulk for superior functionality. If anyone knows of a headlamp that's more compact than the Thor (front battery compartment preferred) and more powerful than the Storm, I'd like to know about it.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 pm 
hetrekker, it is nice and unusual to see anyone ever apologize on the internet. Though I know nothing about you it raises my opinion of you. Thanks.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 3:55 pm 
Cartman: one of the lights I purchased before the thor was the new BD Spot 2016 - one impressive little light. We would happily be using this if we hadn't tried the thor. Once shetrekker used the thor there was no going back for her. Like you, she and I dislike rear battery packs, but this one is about a third the weight of the BD icon pack, and we can't really feel it. Have you checked out the new BD Storm? 250 lumens compared to 160 for yours, so should make quite a difference. The new Spot we have is 200 lumens and seems more than ample. Should anyone want a comparison, the thor "headlamp body" is 1/4" narrower than the Storm; the lense sticks out 1/8" more at flood setting, and another 1/4" at zoom, and weighs about half the Storm's weight with batteries. JimK: "unusual"? More like weird; but it's the least I can do for treating someone that way. It's over now, and hopefully I'm adequately humbled.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostTue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 pm 
REI now has this headlamp on sale in the garage (formerly "outlet") with your 20% off coupon for about 32 bucks. It's labelled "alps mountaineering trailstar 250 headlamp" and there are a few reviews with it. This light is still available on amazon for 20 bucks. We still use these lights a lot, but 2 things have become evident: if you use its amazing brightness at full power it will drain the batteries big time. Even the adjustable lower levels give us ample light for most trails but momentarily use the high and zoom functions for faint sections of trails and checking things out in the middle of the night. As cartman has accurately pointed out the rear battery pack is bulky especially in small backpacks. Its size shows originally it housed 3 AA's and they converted it to 3 AAA's - wish they hadn't done that. We always carry extras. PorcupinePhobia: how did the flood setting work out for nighttime trail running? Good or bad that info would be good to hear.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 10:58 am 
Have not used it on a full-on night run yet- not much night this time of year. Ha! Will report back when I have some good info

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 11:17 am 
PP: much appreciated.

bk

bk
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 12:25 pm 
Instructions for linking: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=718428 Thanks for the headlamp notes.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSat Sep 17, 2016 9:46 pm 
Trail running report, fresh back from Ragnar Cascades- ridiculously bright, wide lighting, used on miles of rocky, hilly trail and it never shifted or bounced, easy to operate. I can't think of how it could have performed better. I could easily illuminate the ground beneath my feet and about 15 feet in front of me with the wide beam aimed down low.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostMon Sep 19, 2016 1:19 pm 
Awesome, PP. Glad it worked out well for your purpose. Kinda fun to find gear that does the job so well, especially at that price.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 am 
ALERT: Some good news and some bad news. The good news is that this headlamp that PorcupinePhobia owns and reviewed is now on sale for 16 bucks on amazon. A few days back I noticed they came out with a new version. I ordered one and received it Saturday. This new version is a pathetic and downgraded version from the one that we have (old version). Assuming the old version (still available) will be gone in the near future, I suggest getting the old version NOW before it sells out. I just purchased 8 more to give as gifts. Presently the old version is also available at REI in the Garage for 38 bucks with an Alps label on it. What has changed with the new version?: The zoom lens is no longer silky smooth to adjust and now requires two hands, one to hold the lamp base and one to pull the lens. The lens no longer floods as wide (though still wider than any other lamp) or zooms as far. Except at full flood, the beam is now a square with a sharper edge from light to dark instead of a consistent round with a soft edge. The on/off button is now more deeply recessed and harder to actuate. The lamp tilt click stops are very weak and just barely hold the lamp in position. The rear battery box flashing red location light is now a small dot and in my sample did not function. Summary: if you have been spoiled on the smooth function and features of the old version you will be disappointed with the new version. The new version still retains its brightness and has the adjustable dimness function that REMEMBERS where it was set from last time it was on. Except for the old version at 16 bucks, the new version at 19 bucks is by far a best buy over any other model I have tried.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:01 pm 
I own over 150+ headlamps. It is obviously a disease. When a new BD Spot, Storm, Sprinter, or Icon Headlamp (or any other brand for that matter) comes out, I snatch it up and test it's capabilities. My personal preference (right now) is the Princeton Tech Vizz due to its functionality with the red light feature at night. It is a mere 205 lumens, so within the ballpark of it's competitors. FWIW, I purchased the older version of Thorfire Headlamp and was actually thoroughly impressed considering that I didn't blow $50 on it. The marketing and packaging was pretty decent and the lamp itself actually kicked butt! I would never hike/climb with a rear mounted battery headlamp for the sake of weight, but this headlamp would be great for someone that is not literally counting every single gram. The adjustability for the spot/flood is like nothing that I've ever seen and the quality seems very adequate. Lumens are far less than my 300+ lumen Zibralights or Terralux headlamps. However, these are expensive lights and weigh a TON! I'd never bring these headlamps hiking/climbing either! For the price, the lumen output seems more than fair, and it's really a great headlamp. Probably overkill for what most folks need to hike and camp though, but cheap enough not to give a rip, especially for a newbie. I actually bought 10 of these lights to give/lend out to people as well. I've never seen a headlamp for that price which actually delivers. No, I haven't tested this headlamp out in the weeds or on the summit of Rainier. I am just not a fan of rear-mounted battery packs due to the additional weight that they add. However, the quality/lumens appear too-good-to-be-true, for the price, IMO. It's now my go-to for working on the car, doing yardwork, or work around the house in general, due to that slick zoom feature. No other lamp (that I've see) can go from spot to flood so effortlessly!

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 5:18 pm 
As of today, November 13 Amazon has only six of these left so if you're gonna get one of the old style lights per the OP's recommendation you'd best hurry. On my scale it weighs (with batteries) 6.0 ounces. The headlamp that I use the most, the Petzl Tikka RXP, which is rechargeable and has no batteries weighs in at 4.0 ounces. I bought two of these Thorfire lights, one for each of my cars. I don't have an aversion to back mounted battery cases so I may opt to use this on the trail also. The use of the Thorfire is certainly a no-brainer as you push the only button one time for low, two times for high, and three times for flashing. As the OP pointed out, the zoom feature on the old model is buttery smooth from wide to narrow with one little extra click for super narrow. The included manual is minimal and doesn't mention the fact that you can hold the on/off button down to variably adjust brightness on the low setting and I just picked up on that from re reading this thread. Nice feature! I'm not a trail runner and don't foresee me using the high (battery draining) 250 lumen setting all that often but it is extremely bright should the need arise and just a little lower than the 300 lumens of the Tikka RXP. Both of these make my trusty old Surefire Saint Minimus at 100 lumens look like a dim bulb! For sixteen bucks (and I got free shipping, no tax) this is an awesome deal!