Forum Index > Trip Reports > NE Olympics Loop - Tyler, Peak B, 6537, and Baldy 11/12/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 5:19 pm 
Feeling somewhat desperate for a summit, Jake and I decided to make a trip up to Tyler Peak in the NE portion of the Olympic peninsula. Weather didn't look to promising, and we were both expecting to be hiking in the rain most of the time, but none the less we met at the Maynard Burn Trailhead at a quarter after 7 and we were hiking by 7:20. The Tyler Peak trail gets right to it and is pretty steep. It was raining lightly when we started but after about 10 minutes the rain was fairly minimal and I was sweating in my rain gear so I took it off. We made good time up the trail and soon had some views.
First views from the Tyler Peak trail
First views from the Tyler Peak trail
Rainbow from Tyler Peak trail
Rainbow from Tyler Peak trail
Upon leaving the trees we spotted the cliffs to the south west of Tyler Peak and decided to just head cross country and make a beeline to the summit. We navigated around some cliffs, up a gully, and up to the summit... only it was the false summit and we still had a bit to go.
Tyler Peak (false summit) from the trail
Tyler Peak (false summit) from the trail
We went cross country up to the saddle
We went cross country up to the saddle
Getting closer to the saddle
Getting closer to the saddle
Tyler Peak summit block - west ridge
Tyler Peak summit block - west ridge
Here the wind really started picking up. Brrrrrrr, it was cold! We reached the summit and had some food while taking in the views. Despite the forecast there was hardly any precipitation at all, but the wind was just howling up there! It was strong enough to nearly knock us off our feet at times. Several times we'd have to jump and re-gain our footing when a wind gust would nearly knock us over. I put my rain gear back on to help cut down on the wind.
Me looking goofy in my rain gear - Tyler summit
Me looking goofy in my rain gear - Tyler summit
Tyler Peak summit looking east
Tyler Peak summit looking east
Looking north towards the ocean
Looking north towards the ocean
Feeling good, we decided to extend our trip by hiking up point 6537 and Baldy. On the way down Tyler's west ridge Peak B caught my eye. It had a nice little rainbow just left of the summit and I figured, might as well climb that one too!
Peak B from Tyler Peak's west ridge
Peak B from Tyler Peak's west ridge
Peak B
Peak B
We went up the SE ridge of Peak B which was also very windy, and down the SW face which was a short section of class 3. From there we made our way up towards point 6537.
Jake and Rainbows (below peak B)
Jake and Rainbows (below peak B)
Below Peak B looking towards 6537 and Baldy
Below Peak B looking towards 6537 and Baldy
Peak B with Tyler on the right
Peak B with Tyler on the right
Descending Peak B towards 6537 and Baldy
Descending Peak B towards 6537 and Baldy
Tyler Peak from Peak 6537
Tyler Peak from Peak 6537
On the ridge we ran into an abandoned camp. How someone could just leave all this crap up here is beyond me. ಠ_ಠ
Abandoned camp
Abandoned camp
At this point I started running out of gas. My traditional pre hike Subway decided to no longer be open 24 hours and my backup fast food breakfast was so nasty I couldn't even take a single bite. I only had a couple energy bars for breakfast so, I bonked a bit. Reaching 6537 I was able to eat some more which helped a lot. After taking in the scenery we headed to Baldy.
Hiking the ridge up to point 6537
Hiking the ridge up to point 6537
Point 6537 summit panorama
Point 6537 summit panorama
Peak B, Tyler Peak, and Point 6537 from Baldy's E ridge
Peak B, Tyler Peak, and Point 6537 from Baldy's E ridge
The weather really moved in on Baldy and we had no views, but we had both been here before so it was ok. After tagging our fourth summit of the day, we quickly descended down the SE ridge of point 6537 until we met up with the Maynard Burn Trail which we took down to the car. We took a wrong turn on a logging road (my fault) which cost us 7-8 minutes all together before we were back on the right trail. Soon after we were back at our cars. Probably 9-10 miles round trip and 4300 ft elevation gain in 5 1/2 hours. Didn't see another person all day. We really got lucky with the weather and we were both happy get squeeze in one last summit before the snowy season.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 pm 
Great photography. I especially like the rainbow shots and panoramas. I need to go back up there for Tyler, but I got the rest of them on my last trip. Thanks for reminding me.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 6:33 pm 
I bet it will look quite different up there in a few days.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 7:42 pm 
awesome up.gif i dislike the steep up and down of the Tyler Peak trail. just as bad as upper maynard burn trail. yep, why the $%#@ do people leave their crap. great photos!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 pm 
Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
I need to go back up there for Tyler, but I got the rest of them on my last trip.
That's exactly what we did. Both of us had done 6537 and Baldy before on the way to Gray Wolf Ridge, but Peak B and Tyler were new to us.
RichP wrote:
I bet it will look quite different up there in a few days.
For sure! Forecast shows snow levels dropping below 4000 ft for the first time this year, and lots of precipitation this coming week. I was actually surprised at the lack of snow on our trip, but that will certainly change shortly.
bobbi wrote:
i dislike the steep up and down of the Tyler Peak trail. just as bad as upper maynard burn trail.
Me too! We went up Tyler and down Maynard... the downhill killed my knees. As I typed this I mistyped downhell, and that's kinda what it was. We cruised down it pretty fast though despite the protesting of my knees so at least it was short lived. smile.gif

Phil

Phil
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
Well done ! up.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 am 
That's a fun little route up.gif

RodF

RodF
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 3:11 pm 
Greatly appreciate your sharing your photos of dramatic clouds, sun breaks and rainbows on the peaks! Looks like a bear scattered some hunter's cached camp. Hope they return to retrieve their gear and clean it up before the season's over.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm 
RodF wrote:
Looks like a bear scattered some hunter's cached camp. Hope they return to retrieve their gear and clean it up before the season's over.
It's been there for years... and I believe it's within the NPS boundary (if I remember right)

RichP

RichP
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 pm 
RodF wrote:
Hope they return to retrieve their gear and clean it up before the season's over.
lol.gif Something else I came across up there earlier this year.
A hunter's memorial complete with tequila.
A hunter's memorial complete with tequila.

meck

meck
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 9:50 pm 
Nice trip and photos! I was looking wistfully over there from Townsend later that afternoon

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*