Forum Index > Trail Talk > R.I.P. David & Karen's Hiking Page 2000-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm 
I have all the html files - that's not the real issue. Free hosting just doesn't exist these days, especially for a low traffic personal website. If we are going to pay for hosting it will be for a low cost photo only service like Smugmug

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm 
If you don't have a mission critical site, web hosting is pretty darn cheap. You can probably get hosting w/ domain for $40/year.

rossb

rossb
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm 
I agree with Tom. I also think there are lots of free web hosts out there. The tricky part is finding ones that don't have too much annoying ad content. I would search the web design forums (or other tech forums) for recommendations. I don't mean to imply that it is an easy process (you can spend a lot of time hunting around for a good host) but it would be really nice if you could preserve the really good format of your existing site (I really like it). If you moved to a picture site, it is hard to keep the nice organization (with the detailed trail descriptions).

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 pm 
David, you might want to look into the guys I use, their offering a year of hosting + a domain for $46 right now. Comes with every possible bell and whistle you can imagine. They have tons of one-click install packages too (Wordpress and Gallery among others). Probably lots of stuff you woudn't ever use, but its there just in case. Considering Smugmug is charging $40 right now, its at least worth considering spending the extra $6 and getting the domain and all the extras. Also, FWIW, I'm dumping Smugmug and moving to Flickr Pro - I just can't justify the extra $15 for Smugmug when I don't use their printing services and Flickr gets 10x the traffic, so if you don't plan on printing through them, thats another thing to consider.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm 
Host it yourself. What do you use for your ISP at home and do you have a desktop you wouldn't mind leaving turned on? That is all you need aside from some webserving software and for that, just go get apache, or even easier, get xampp, which uses apache as its webserver, but also includes php, mysql, and a couple other great tools/applications for websites and its all free. I've been hosting my website http://madcampers.com for about a year now through a Comcast cable connection (which allows hosting, provided it isn't commercial). I had to buy the domain, but that is like $10 from any registrar. I used godaddy for mine. I've spent a lot of time on my site, but most of that is due to a whole administration page for girlfriend so she can edit anything on the site. Also, the plotting of GPS data onto google maps took me a bit to perfect (It still isn't perfect though). Honestly, it takes sometime, but it is fun and not as hard as it looks.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 10:16 pm 
I use Dreamhost for my webhosting, and joomla for the template for my business website. Fairly cheap, and very reliable for a business. (Includes excessive bandwidth, mySQL databases, debian, unlimited POP/IMAP email, domain registration, php5/perl/python/etc. support, backups, etc, etc.) Overkill for a personal website, but if you're thinking about doing something for the professional photography, might be worth considering when weighing options.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 am 
Quote:
spam post removed by moderator
Oh my, you joined to today and revived a two year old thread just to post that link. I'm flattered wink.gif The site has been back up & running all year - hosted by my ISP as part of their standard package.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostWed Jun 16, 2010 7:33 am 
Microsoft will host a website for free. http://www.officelive.com. Basically, all that you would pay for is the cost of registering a domain name (approx $15.00) per year. They offer templates that make it easy to get a page up and going, or you can use third party tools to design the whole thing.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 pm 
OK this time it really is the end of my website I'm not looking at hosting it elsewhere, I am paying $50/yr to host the photos, and with just 20 visitors in the last month, I was already questioning that expense. I would like to thank all the contributors that indulged me over the years, all the trip reports posted here and elsewhere that I referenced, your inspiration has meant the world to me, and I did what I could to pay it forward. Our ISP isn't pulling the plug until March 6th so you still have a couple months if you want to copy any of the info/links.

iron

iron
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 am 
thanks david. it was truly high quality with great content!

gb

gb
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 am 
I'm really sorry to hear that David. The resources you've provided for the Coast Mountains, Columbia Mountains, Rockies, and Far North are particularly interesting. The information provided can be hard to find from other sources. Thanks for providing this website. Hopefully, someone is able to help you find a way to keep your website going. You have obviously put an awful lot of work into it over the years.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 1:14 pm 
iron wrote:
thanks david. it was truly high quality with great content!
Truly! And I only found it by way of this post. I *love* the pics! I'd hope there would be a way for you to continue the site, $50/year doesn't sound like a lot (to me, anyway). My brother suggested having another (related?) "monetized" site that pays for the cost of the hiking site. An idea, I don't know what's involved, but maybe worth consideration. And again, I really like your website and the pics and the descriptions. Well done!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 1:16 pm 
Davidą wrote:
Free hosting just doesn't exist these days, especially for a low traffic personal website.
What about wix.com?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 2:40 pm 
That's too bad David, I've definitely enjoyed perusing your site a number of times.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 3:03 pm 
That's a shame. I admit that I have not visited the site much, but I had filed it away for future reference for other areas, especially B.C. and the Canadian Rockies. And of the course the photos are superb.