Forum Index > Photography Talk > Where to have a calendar printed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:56 am 
I've been asked to make a calendar. A few people want copies. I haven't printed anything in a long time. Can anybody recommend a printer? (I don't mean a device that puts ink on paper, I mean to have them printed and bound.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:34 am 
I still use Costco. Quality control can be poor, and I occasionally have to get reprints done, but they are still (as far as I know) the cheapest...and I've got used to their online interface.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 pm 
I went with Snapfish this year because they had the best sale on Cyber Monday, but I have no idea what the image quality is going to be like. Last year I chose Shutterfly, and I was immensely pleased with what I got back from them (unfortunately I never saw a good sale from them this year). I hear good things about Mpix, but have never used them myself.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:04 pm 
I went with Costco again this year. Their larger size. I tried the cheaper smaller option one year and it was disappointing crap. The large size is a very high quality glossy print. For $17 for 12 prints (plus the cover) its a good deal for getting nice prints on heavy paper. I keep my old calendars. I always buy a "test print" calendar before ordering a pile of them. Then I give a pile away as gifts to friends and family. Note, they usually print significantly darker than viewed on your computer screen, even with a calibrated screen. So it is a bit tricky to brighten them up more than you are comfortable with, when you send them out for printing.

friluftsliv
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 3:25 am 
boot up wrote:
Note, they usually print significantly darker than viewed on your computer screen, even with a calibrated screen. So it is a bit tricky to brighten them up more than you are comfortable with, when you send them out for printing.
I've had this problem from every department store printer I've ever ordered from. So far I've found that with online printers (I've only tried Shutterfly and Blurb so far) it isn't a problem. EDIT: Just got my calendars from Snapfish, and I'm happy to report that they are better than those I've purchased from any other company in the past!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 8:33 pm 
My experiences: Vistaprint- cheap but uneven printing results, sometimes with print lines and blotches Shutterfly- ok quality but pricey Mpix- ok pricing and quality but matte print imaging only Snapfish- uneven pricing but good quality in past years; ordered 15+ 2017 calendars at $11 each including delivery; customizing options also good

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm 
Costco worked for me again this year. I only buy their larger "premium" size. The smaller one is crap quality. I had a dozen printed this year for various friends and family. Everyone loves them. Works for me anyway.

friluftsliv
Kenji

Kenji
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 pm 
I've been using Vistaprint for many years mainly for fund raising. I printed 150 calendars this year. They are quick and discounted often, and the quality is decent. They are not as good as printed at home, but I've adjusted my expectations. I also make a small number of large photo calendars through AdoramaPix every year. They are printed on 12x18 photo papers and look gorgeous...at a higher cost.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 pm