Forum Index > Trip Reports > Of Petroglyphs and Peaks in the Mojave Nov 26-28, 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 3:37 pm 
After my time in Death Valley I parked it at Lake Mead Boulder Campground for a few nights with the intent to do some dayhikes. Being that I hadn't seen much rock art in a while, I had a craving. Most of the sites I had yet to see nearby were short hikes, or even drive ups with a 4WD, so I thought what better way to enjoy them but to add a scramble or two of nearby summits. Thus, a plan was hatched. Nov 26. Petroglyph Wash, Lake Mead National Recreation Area. My Honda Civic left we with a 3 mile hike to the rock art located in a wash adjacent to a jeep trail. From there I sought a pair of summits that, while unknown, I figured would give me great views of the mountainous terrain all around Lake Mead. It did not dissapoint and made for a great Class 2 (touch of 3) loop hike of 12 miles. The map will explain it better than words.
Petroglyph Wash
Petroglyph Wash
Petroglyph Wash and Peak 3323'
Petroglyph Wash and Peak 3323'
P1
P1
P2
P2
P3
P3
P4
P4
P5
P5
P6
P6
Three levels!
Three levels!
Up the wash
Up the wash
Barrel cactus Lake Mead National Rec Area, AZ.
Barrel cactus Lake Mead National Rec Area, AZ.
Scramble out of wash
Scramble out of wash
The wash canyon
The wash canyon
Climbing out
Climbing out
Endless Mtns from Peak 3448'
Endless Mtns from Peak 3448'
Oops, that looks higher
Oops, that looks higher
Funner scramble, too
Funner scramble, too
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ
Arch Mountain to north
Arch Mountain to north
Fun S. Ridge descent
Fun S. Ridge descent
exit canyon with summit behind
exit canyon with summit behind
parting shot
parting shot
Nov 27: I did a fairly long TH commute of 35 minutes to get to the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area. A BLM wilderness (N. McCullough Wilderness) so preserved for its spectacular petroglyphs. Lots of info in the web. The rock art is a 3 mile round trip hike up a pleasant canyon wash with a couple nice Class 2 dryfalls to scramble. The rock art starts immediately beyond the dryfalls. Very impressive displays.
Sloan Canyon mouth
Sloan Canyon mouth
Easy dryfalls
Easy dryfalls
S1
S1
S2
S2
S3
S3
S4
S4
S5
S5
Frogman?
Frogman?
S6
S6
S7
S7
Sutor Benchmark behind
Sutor Benchmark behind
S8
S8
S9
S9
S10
S10
S11
S11
On to Sutor
On to Sutor
Then it was time to head SE up a side canyon to take me on a pleasant scramble of Sutor Benchmark, an area highpoint. The north ridge is mostly a pleasant walk, except for the 30 mph winds of the advancing cold front.
North McCullough Wilderness, NV
Climbing out of canyon
Climbing out of canyon
Over there next; N. McCullough Wilderness, NV
Over there next; N. McCullough Wilderness, NV
pencil cactus
pencil cactus
N. McCulloughs behind cacti
N. McCulloughs behind cacti
From Sutor it was time to descend west to connect two very interesting pinnacles with assorted Class 3 scrambling, occasionally loose, to run the traverse. Fun stuff, even in the wind and light rain. The first pinnacle, Canine Crag, I gained from its Class 2/3 SE slope. Continuing down its solid and aesthetic Class 3/4 NW Ridge, I accessed the next crag via its SE Slope as well.
Many little pinnacles
Many little pinnacles
SE Ridge Canine Crag
SE Ridge Canine Crag
Feline Fang next
Feline Fang next
Great W. Ridge descent of Canine
Great W. Ridge descent of Canine
McCullough over Sutor over Canine
McCullough over Sutor over Canine
I descended the NW Ridge of the 2nd(western) crag, called Feline Fang, via its Class 3 NW Face which brought me down to a maintained trail. Trail 300 returned me to Sloan Canyon and the Visitor Center.
NW Face Feline descent
NW Face Feline descent
The Crags from Trail 300
The Crags from Trail 300
Trail 300 petroglyph
Trail 300 petroglyph
Trail 300
Trail 300
Nov 28. Willow Beach Peaks, Black Canyon, Colorado River. Lake Mead NRA. Up one wash, lots of awesome Class 2 scrambling, down another with a couple fun downclimbs of Class 3 dryfalls. This route connects 3 peaks known by and named by the local Vegas Area mountaineer types. A 5 mile loop out of the Willow Beach Campground/concessionaire area of Lake Mead NRA. In keeping with the theme, a few riverside petroglyphs started me off.
Willow Beach Petroglyphs
Willow Beach Petroglyphs
WB2
WB2
hard to make out curvylinear
hard to make out curvylinear
WB3
WB3
Colorado River
Colorado River
Willow Beach.  Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ
Willow Beach. Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ
Easy canyon ascent
Easy canyon ascent
looking downcanyon; Lake Mead NRA, AZ
looking downcanyon; Lake Mead NRA, AZ
Onto North Ridge of Sarada Devi
Onto North Ridge of Sarada Devi
Further up ridge
Further up ridge
great scrambling
great scrambling
On top
On top
Over there next
Over there next
East Face of Kenny Peak
East Face of Kenny Peak
Came from over there
Came from over there
Willow Beach Peak
Willow Beach Peak
SE Ridge scramble of WB Peak
SE Ridge scramble of WB Peak
Black Canyon, Colorado River
Black Canyon, Colorado River
View Southwest
View Southwest
On the return
On the return
Descending E Face Kenny
Descending E Face Kenny
fine scrambling
fine scrambling
Back over Sarada Devi
Back over Sarada Devi
Descent canyon is steep at first
Descent canyon is steep at first
easy dryfalls out
easy dryfalls out

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 7:42 pm 
The Lake Meade area, with numerous peaks and washes, seems to offer an endless amount of fun exploration possibilities. Heather and I have only begun to scratch the surface there, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite places to hike. Thanks for sharing this beta.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 11:56 am 
This a great area to explore by canoe or kayak, as well. The section of the Colorado River below Hoover Dam is called Black Canyon, (not to be confused with Black Canyon of the Gunnison, a Class V section of the Gunnison River in the state of Colorado.) This Black Canyon is all Class 1, meaning that while the water is moving (i.e., there's a current) the water's surface is entirely smooth and there are no rapids. You can paddle up it as well as down. It's 12 miles from Hoover Dam down to the marina at Willow Beach, where you can rent canoes and sea kayaks. Undeveloped campsites can be found along the shore at various washes and flat spots. Highlights of this section include a half-dozen hot springs, some of which are crystal clear, low-sulfur, and toasty warm. All hot springs contain naegleria fowleri (brain-eating ameobas), so don't snort the water! There are trails from the roads above down to some of these springs, but it's much easier to access them from the water. There are lots of options for day hikes and scrambles and some of those feature petroglyphs. There's also an old wooden plank path high above the river on a cliff face that was used by the men who read the river gauge 50 years ago. You can still walk the plank, so to speak, and it's a hoot. Best of all: the elevation of the river in Black Canyon is 1,250 feet, half again as low as Las Vegas. So if it's 65 and sunny in Vegas (not atypical, even in Jan/Feb) it will be in the 70's or higher down on the river. Super nice, coming from a winter in the PNW!

MojaveGeek

MojaveGeek
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 5:45 pm 
Any trouble getting to the Sloan Canyon trailhead? Last time I was in the area there was a lot of construction around the road in, and I heard that the road in is open only limited hours? Those are very nice petros indeed!!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 9:36 pm 
I did Hidden Valley (east of Muddy Mts.) several times 20 years back and it was fabulous. Otherworldly sandstone, glyphs.

Off trail rambler
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 6:20 am 
MojaveGeek wrote:
Any trouble getting to the Sloan Canyon trailhead? Last time I was in the area there was a lot of construction around the road in, and I heard that the road in is open only limited hours? Those are very nice petros indeed!!
BLM has paved an entrance to a temporary visitor center and Henderson has grown to the edge of the NCA. There is a stretch of 500 yards, yet to be paved but a b ed surface for soon to be paving. Making it paved all the way.
Eric Hansen wrote:
I did Hidden Valley (east of Muddy Mts.) several times 20 years back and it was fabulous. Otherworldly sandstone, glyphs.
Yeah, Hidden Valley and the Muddys are special. Here's a link to my trip in there: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8014873

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.