Forum Index > Gear Talk > Removing Body Odor from a backpack (PCT thru hike funk) - Natural Enzyme Cleaner
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
somegeek

somegeek
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 12:25 pm 
I used this stuff on a day pack I lent to a friend that was thru hiking the PCT this summer and it seemed to work to get two days of his PCT body odor funk out of it. I can only smell very minor BO traces if I put the shoulder straps up to my nose, else the pack smells clean to my relief. I don't rep this company... just noted a nice solution to a problem. Figured I'd share with the hiking community. This is a natural enzyme cleaner, supposed to break down that funk vs cover it up. Rant slack packed the two days we supported him on the PCT. When I got home, I washed this pack in laundry detergent. After it dried, I hung it up in my office on my pack rack. My son walked in the next day and asked why my office smell liked my friend Rant. DOH. This pack had a 2ft bubble of PCT funk on it. I smelled it whenever I was near it or walked past it.
I'd purchased this stuff to clean up two spots in my house where our cat (while he had a UTI) had accients. I pondered using it on my day pack and contacted the company. They advised it should be fine to use on nylon packs. I used two tablespoons to two gallons of water in a five gallon bucket. I put the pack in there and used a cup to fully saturate all surfaces. I came back 30 minutes later and used the cup to saturate it again. Total soak time was an hour. After that, I pulled the pack out and rinsed it in my tub. It dried over night and I only detect a faint stank on the shoulder straps with my nose right up to it, else it smells clean. The real test will be the next time I wear this and the fabric heats up to see if any more odor is released. Some of my older tech shirts do this(release funk when warm). The box of odormute I got was unscented and was $14 for the box off Amazon. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has used this on funky outdoor gear. somegeek

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:37 pm 
I have used Mirazyme for paddling gear in the past. I wonder if this stuff works better?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:37 pm 
I use this stuff for cleaning up hairballs and puke from the cats, and it works wonders on the carpet. I've used it on my bag too and it does a decent job at muting the stank just spraying it on and letting it sit and air dry (the smell does seem to return, but I'm not sure if it's just absorbing more odor from my sweaty self, or if it's not fully going away). I'd bet it'd work about as good actually using it to wash a bag too.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:07 pm 
Vinegar works well to kill the fungus which is causing odor. White vinegar is all it takes. Soak it in a vinegar solution, wash, rinse, then dry. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
somegeek

somegeek
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:44 pm 
I've used white vinegar before but it's not been 100% for me. It puts a dent in funk but not total removal.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 5:06 pm 
Rent an ozone machine? YouTube it, lots of informational video's on it.

mike

mike
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 6:33 pm 
Petastic™. got rid of rat pee on my pack. Took a good long soak to do it though.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:48 pm 
Good grief. If your initial attempt at neutralizing the BO on your pack doesn't work, you should have your smelly "friend" purchase some of the other products that have been suggested to try to get rid of the smell. Or give him your old, smelly pack and ask him to buy you a new one. Then don't lend the new one out to someone who can't manage their hygiene.

somegeek

somegeek
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 3:44 pm 
Take a deep breath. biggrin.gif Ever spent time around PCT thru hikers? The funk is a thing. I was happy to help a friend on a journey of a lifetime (he did finish all 2,650 miles over five and a half months). I was simply sharing something that worked for me.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm 
Maybe the funk is telling you, thru hike. smile.gif

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 am 
In a Seinfeld episode (The Smelly Car), they tried all sorts of things, but the only thing that worked was tomato sauce.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 10:11 am 
Saw this on a bicycle site--- Febreze odor eliminator maybe it will work in your case. http://www.velonews.com/apparel-review/2016/12/febreze-in-wash-odor-eliminator_425051