Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How do I stop MS from "upgrading" to Windows 10"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 30, 2016 11:31 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
I always get heartburn and constipated when I read articles on new/upgrade computer stuff....
Milk is good for heartburn. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 02, 2016 8:20 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
If your brother is concerned that MSFT's Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program is too intrusive -- it would be hilarious if he also has a Facebook account and feels that's OK.
He'll have nothing to do with FB, which is ok with me. And your comment "What I think this means on a practical basis is MSFT is no longer providing updates to Win7 for anything other than significant security issues. Which is fine for any practical purposes", is about the way I see it also. I'm trying to decide on which OS to use next. I liked Win2K, it was easy to use, XP was ok, but it seems that everytime MS leads out with yet another version, it' complicates things far more than necessary. Meaning, that they move stuff around so much that it's difficult to figure out how to do whatever it was I want to do. MS should leave the look and feel (about) the same and fix whatever in the background that needs "fixing" and call it good. My wife's MacBook Pro drives me nuts, with the things it does/won't do. Linux (I'm told) takes a lot of messing around to use, and I've gotten way past the point of wanting to muck around inside computers anymore, so I just stay with the old and hope for the best, but it's getting to be time....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
AR

AR
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 8:32 pm 
So we're all good on how to stop "10" from being a pain in the fanny. As far as crazy ass preferences go...for me, it's 8.1 It works well with SSD and can be stripped to the bones of background horseshit. This provides huge amounts of "Torque" if you will. Two second startups and shutdowns. Enormous front and backend number crunching. I like it...alas, to each his own. moon.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 5:17 am 
I generally recommend against "upgrading" the OS, but do apply security patches. The problem with upgrading a several years old machine is that newer OS's tend to want more memory and more computing power, so upgrading results in a sluggish performance. This applies to things like Smartphones as well, I'very seen people regret upgrading to a newer version of IOS, only to find it made their phone almost unusable. So I usually recommend to avoid upgrading , but when one decides to get a new PC to get the current OS.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 12:45 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I liked Win2K, it was easy to use, XP was ok, but it seems that everytime MS leads out with yet another version, it' complicates things far more than necessary. Meaning, that they move stuff around so much that it's difficult to figure out how to do whatever it was I want to do.
This might be what you want, but 16 years with no visual changes is not what computer users as a whole want. It's frustrating when somebody moves the furniture around, but sometimes you have to to get that recliner to fit.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 6:52 pm 
AR wrote:
It works well with SSD and can be stripped to the bones of background horseshit. This provides huge amounts of "Torque" if you will. Two second startups and shutdowns.
So how does one go about stripping it of all the extraneous, useless stuff? I've not settled on any one system yet, am still pondering.... I watched a guy (Paul's Hardware) on youtube the other day describe how to load a new machine with W10, and briefly mentioned as he was working through the installation "here is where you keep it from tracking you". Might be the way to go if indeed it does work.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 7:00 pm 
I wouldn't mess with it. If you have a new computer with Win10 just run with it and don't look back. No real complaints here coming from XP.