Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How Pokemon Go Helps Mental Health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 11:03 am 
I have a few friends who play Pokemon Go. I never watched the show when I was little, and don't play the game, so it's more like a passing curiosity to me. This came to my inbox and I found it pretty interesting. As a hiker, I can relate, but it's also somewhat alien to me (again as a hiker) because I'm used to finding the best place to walk, even though 'tis the season for dumpster diving to hike for the sake of hiking instead of for the scenery. Pokemon Go, the first large-scale “augmented reality” game, is settling past its hot trend phase after becoming the video game phenomenon of the year. Many articles have noted unexpected positive effects of the game; that it has helped some people overcome mental health issues like social phobia, agoraphobia, and depression, as well as encouraging exercise through its bonuses for walking distances. Here I briefly discuss how and why these effects occur [...] https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/culture-shrink/201612/how-pokemon-go-helps-mental-health

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:13 pm 
I think there are many activities where many, if not all, of the same positive benefits would apply. -bug collecting (or any "collecting" of any natural specimens, leaves, rocks, flowers, shells, you name it) -bird watching -an outside game of hide-n-seek -geocaching - the list goes on the more you think about it. I find it somewhat curious, if not humorous, that there are people (whose qualifications are such that this seems like a waste of their time) spending a lot of time and energy to find evidence that Pokeman is something other than what we see at face value...people wandering around staring at their smart phones playing a game for fun.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 am 
Schenk wrote:
people wandering around staring at their smart phones playing a game for fun.
The problem for me isn't that it's just for fun. It's that it's not a lotta fun! Entertainment isn't the same as exciting. wink.gif

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostSat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 am 
Schenk wrote:
I think there are many activities where many, if not all, of the same positive benefits would apply. -bug collecting (or any "collecting" of any natural specimens, leaves, rocks, flowers, shells, you name it) -bird watching -an outside game of hide-n-seek -geocaching - the list goes on the more you think about it. I find it somewhat curious, if not humorous, that there are people (whose qualifications are such that this seems like a waste of their time) spending a lot of time and energy to find evidence that Pokeman is something other than what we see at face value...people wandering around staring at their smart phones playing a game for fun.
I interact with people with all sorts of disabilities at work and many have told me how Pokémon go has encouraged them to do many healthy things. You, as well as I would prefer a lot of other activities like the ones you listed above, (some of which require friends, equipment or transportation that may not be available to disabled people) if a silly game is getting people that struggle out of their houses, walking around and interacting with others, who are we to judge? Judgement is often one of the big reasons these people stay home.