Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Pearl Harbor Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 9:32 pm 
My wife's father was on the USS California when it was bombed at Pearl Harbor. He never really got over that day. When I met him he was living in a VA hospital in Palo Alto with not much to say. God bless all the vets that gave their lives that day so we can stay free.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 pm 
While I was at the Y today I overheard a guy the gym talking about his father being on a ship at Pearl Harbor. He recalled seeing the aircraft and then the shock of the attack shortly after. Pretty horrifying on a calm Sunday morning. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:14 am 
My moms best friends first husband was killed at Pearl Harbor and she never really got over it. There are lots of Navy families who felt that way, the pain endures.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 am 
As a navy vietnam vet I share the emotional conflict with all other vets. However there are thruths about these wars that may be harder to take then the actual events. Is the truth worth knowing then?

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 4:55 pm 
I wrote "is the truth knowing then"! Obviously from the lack of response that it is not!! or perhaps this is not the proper forum..

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:06 am 
Both of my uncles were in Navy in '41. One enlisted and was machinist in boiler room on big Enterprise.(?...I forget.) The other Anapolis officer trained 40 mm AA Bofors crews on jeep carriers. One in transit to Pearl; the other called out of harbor for sea trials on Dec. 5, I think. Japanese missed those boats. Cost them the war. Neither uncle spoke much of the close call, but lots of awkward comments RE: our Japanese tourist friends here in USA. My visit to USS Arizona one of the most powerful experiences of my life. Rest well all sailors who go into harms way. Tom

drm

drm
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 5:00 pm 
I saw a three hour interview/discussion with three historians who have written books on the event. The most interesting for me was a Japanese historian who wrote about Japan in the runup. She felt, contrary to many others, that the Emperor Hirohito was to blame for not stopping their country from taking the suicidal attack. Although they were a minority, there were prominent people in Japan who knew how insane it was for Japan to intentionally bring the United States into a shooting war. They also described that despite the terrible death toll, the attack was in many ways a military failure, and not just that the carriers weren't there. They left the fuel tanks and the dry dock alone and undamaged. This allowed most ships to be repaired and fueled up for service fairly quickly. They said only three ships that were in the harbor that day were beyond repair. If the dry docks and oil had been destroyed it would have taken a lot longer to get the Pacific fleet ready for battle. This was on Book TV and I think you can watch it online. They did have a couple of people who were there call in.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:46 pm 
drm wrote:
Although they were a minority, there were prominent people in Japan who knew how insane it was for Japan to intentionally bring the United States into a shooting war.
That would include Admiral Yamamoto himself, the creator of the attack.