Forum Index > Trip Reports > 22, Serene, Franklin, Snow, SalmonLaSac Dec-2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 10:55 pm 
I avoid all these during spring, summer & fall ( with the exception of SalmonLaSac ) I refer to them as "roadside attraction destinations", but they do make for fantastic winter scenery and travel especially when the trees are loaded with fluffy white stuff and rivers and waterfalls are showing off their frozen water sculptures. I'm not going say anything that you folks don't already know. Snow Lake Trail is beautiful with all the pillowey snow covering the ground & trees. Snow covered Chair Peak is gorgeous on a sunny & moody day I don't see the appeal for Lake Twenty-Two. This was my first visit as I've been avoiding it for many years. I imagine during spring snowmelt, lots of cascading water from the cliffs is a beautiful sight. Watching avalanches would be pretty cool also. Doubtful I'll ever return Lake Serene is the better destination in my opinion, with many similarities to Twenty-Two. It will also have the same spring displays. My wife likes this location and I'm sure I'll return from time to time. Franklin Falls. I'll leave it to the masses, except when it's frozen. Beautiful! Visit on a weekday ( not during winter break ) and approach it from NF 5800 from above. The approach below on NF 5800 is typically clogged with vehicles SalmonLaSac is a favorite any time of the year. Love that area! Lots of fond memories Took advantage of beautiful weather windows during the month of December At the time, there was nothing technical regarding wintertime or snow travel to Lake Twenty-Two, Lake Serene, Franklin Falls or Snow Lake. My trip to SalmonLaSac was snowy, Forest service road walk with the pups Lake Serene
Lake Twenty-Two
Franklin Falls
Snow Lake Trail
SalmonLaSac
Pretty display of nature. Diamond Dust in the air
Clouds flowing through the valley
Beautiful Wintertime Franklin Falls

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 5:41 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
..there was nothing technical regarding wintertime or snow travel to [...] Snow Lake.
Snow Lake in the winter requires serious caution, though. There are a couple really long sections of the standard trail that cross prime avalanche terrain. Nice pics, by the way.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:41 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Very nice. A lot of great shots in there. And Just_Some_Hiker is right. Stay safe. ~z