Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Cost of NPS Senior Pass Going Up From $10 to $80
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Link I already have one so it is not a personal issue for me. And while at $80 it is still worth it, that represents a 700% increase. In my mind that is too much. Rumi
Uh, yeah...that is a substantial increase in one year, but ever since I've been eligible for one, I've suggested to the Ranger that they should be $100 instead of $10 (so actually, this is all my fault, I'd guess). And I've lost track of one or two of 'em so I've actually bought 3 now, and I think I can find 2. I know I can find one!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 7:49 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
WANative wrote:
People who don't use the parks shouldn't pay for them
Are you limiting this logic to just parks, or can we apply this to other government subsidized entities like public education? I have no kids. So should I help pay for Jose's kids to go to school?
I don't use aircraft carriers , why should I have to pay for them?

WANative

WANative
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 pm 
The same logic used by those who want a carbon tax (I.E. you want to make carbon more expensive so less people use it) also applies to National Parks. Higher admission rates mean less users and a better overall experience for everyone. Keeps the riff raff out.

WANative

WANative
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 8:27 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
National defense is a core role of the National Government. Sorry, not outsies on that one.

Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 pm 
cefire wrote:
Klapton wrote:
They would actually be far better for it by being truly responsible and responsive to their customers.
But the large majority of their "customers" seem to want theme parks...Is the 'responsible' thing to bulldoze space for more golf courses and rides?
I disagree. I don't know anyone who would visit a national park to go on rides. Golf? Maybe. But hey... I guess we should have a parasitic ruling class controlling everyone else and taking their money because someone might make a decision you don't like.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:20 pm 
WANative wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
National defense is a core role of the National Government. Sorry, not outsies on that one.
Right after "provide for the common defense" is "promote the general welfare". No outsies on that either. Congress has only declared war eleven times. The last time Congress declared war was WWII. Congress actually declared war six times for WWII: against Japan, Germany, Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania. The last three of those came on June 5, 1942. Everything else militarily have simply been extended military engagements. Almost none of these military engagements could be described as for the "common defence" except in a vary loose sense. Rumi Preamble to the US Constitution: We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:56 pm 
Sports stadiums are built by and named after insurance companies and corporations now. Why not aircraft carriers? USS Microsoft. And build APCs with subdued Pepsi logos on the side. Corporate sponsorship ftw. That's who we're actually fighting for these days anyway.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:43 pm 
Sports Stadiums are built by cities afraid of losing the team and are paid for with taxes. The naming rights are sold to the highest bidder for a fraction of the cost of construction. I know because I have written the agreements in some cases and registered the trade and service marks. Wouldn't work for carriers if planes from the McDonalds blew up a children's hospital in Allepo or some such. Big corps hate bad publicity. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:51 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Wouldn't work for carriers if planes from the McDonalds blew up a children's hospital in Allepo or some such. Big corps hate bad publicity. hockeygrin.gif
Just have the news media lie for them like they do our government. Nothing is wrong when Mericuh does it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 3:34 pm 

Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 pm 
Amen.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Dec 24, 2016 7:02 am 
One F-35 would pay for a lot of deferred NPS trail maintenance.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Dec 27, 2016 4:00 pm 
Somehow, I just knew there had to be an advantage to growing old sooner rather than later!!! doof.gif shakehead.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Dec 27, 2016 5:33 pm 
As I get older, maybe I'll misplace my car keys more often, but now I better not lose my Geezer Pass. +700% is a spectacular ROI.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:41 pm 
Just a reminder - the cost goes up August 1st. Tell any senior you know that might not have one, even if they may seldom use it.