Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > First total solar eclipse since 1979 in US mainland; Aug, 21, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 9:43 am 
I witnessed one on the east coast on March 7, 1970 and still remember to this day the sound of birds and other animals that were going crazy when day turned into night at an odd time.
Quote:
On Aug. 21, the moon will completely blot out the sun for observers in 12 states, from Oregon to South Carolina, in the first total solar eclipse visible from the United States mainland since 1979. The rest of North America, and parts of South America, Africa and Europe, will be treated to a partial eclipse.
http://www.space.com/35171-great-american-solar-eclipse-coming-in-2017.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 12:05 pm 
I watched the 1979 one from a Grayhound bus - this one should be a bit classier for me, though motels in the area (Oregon anyway) are already booked.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm 
I watched the 79 one from the Vashon Harper ferry it was not total here but got pretty dark and birds got excited.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm 
Should you plan to drive down to Oregon to watch this one: All hotel/motel rooms and other lodging in the path of totality, even those as primitive as the cabins at Olallie Lake (just north of Mt. Jefferson) have been fully booked for years by various travel agencies and brokers. Reservable state park campsites in the totality path were fully booked within a few minutes of when they first opened up (at midnight). I expect the same will happen to reservable sites in National Forest campgrounds when reservations open in February, although I do plan to try. ODOT expects considerable traffic jams the morning of the eclipse. I suspect that parking spots may be at a premium. There will be a big eclipse party at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem and another over at Madras (supposedly the best place in the world to view the eclipse, so probably the most crowded). The 1979 eclipse was visible (sort of, because it was getting quite cloudy and the sun was completely obscured just after the end of totality) from my home in (at that time) Moses Lake, so I guess I can't complain if I miss this one. It is a spectacular sight, though, and I'd love for my grandchildren to see it. I understand that some local climbers plan to do their eclipse viewing from the summit of Mt. Jefferson. I hope there will be enough space up there!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 10:48 pm 
Borah in Idaho looks to be a spot to see it too... Tetons on WY. Pretty cool high mtn spots to be.

Toni

Toni
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 pm 
Heading to Bend, the traffic getting there might be a headache!

There is no Planet B
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 2:15 pm 
Bend is south of the path of totality; you'll see only a partial eclipse there. Sisters is just on the edge (totality will last only a few seconds). Madras is right in the middle, which is why (in additiion to its weather) it's considered the best place to watch. There are lots of maps online. If you drive north from Bend the day of the eclipse, you'll probably be eclipse-watching in the midst of a traffic jam!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Toni

Toni
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
If you drive north from Bend the day of the eclipse, you'll probably be eclipse-watching in the midst of a traffic jam!
Yes, driving 97 from Yakima down and back. Staying w relatives in Bend but leaving really early am morning of, join the masses.

There is no Planet B
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 2:59 pm 
At least you'll have a place to stay! If I can't snag a campsite in the totality area, I'll be driving from my home just east of Portland starting at (or before) the crack of dawn, probably on US 26. I wonder how much the Warm Springs Tribes will charge for parking? Maps: Communities in Oregon Great American Eclipse

Toni

Toni
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm 
Thanks Grannyhiker for the info on Eclipse and Maps. And Good luck getting a place to stay or just winging it by getting up early. I suspect lot's of folks will be getting up at 3-4 am and parking in the best place they can along side of road...hmmm? for the 2 min. plus viewing. state patrol will be buzzing I'm sure. But it'll be an adventure to witness something that won't come around again in my lifetime!

There is no Planet B
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm 
Actually, things start to happen once the eclipse gets to about 80-85% of totality. It's fascinating--birds think night is coming. At about 95% a cool breeze hit (of course this was February, in the Columbia Basin, with clouds coming in, so maybe the reduced sunlight had nothing to do with it). The Bailey's Beads just before totality are truly exciting (they are also visible when totality ends). We need to be sure we're parked and watching at least 20 minutes before totality hits. Trying to watch the eclipse while driving is probably not a great idea. biggrin.gif Do be sure to have high quality eclipse glasses or welder's goggles. You can very quickly burn a lovely blind spot in your retinas without them! Back in '79 we used multiple layers of exposed film, but in today's age of digital cameras, that's no longer an option. My late ex-husband watched a solar eclipse as a youngster and got blind spots. Fortunately it wasn't a serious burn and his retinas recovered after a week or so--he was lucky. I plan to go over that way and scout around next spring or summer for places to park. Another option is to backpack in to, say, Park Ridge, but if, as I expect, I have family with me, that's not an option. Unless my current health improves, it won't be an option for me, either.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 am 
Toni wrote:
And Good luck getting a place to stay or just winging it by getting up early.
Yeah, I had that idea also, but doubt that it would work out as planned. Originally I thought that watching from Misery Ridge at Smith Rock State Park would be the best idea (and it would have been if it were just me, but with wife, son and grandkids along, not such a good idea), so we've changed locations. I checked motels at the coast, and the one(s) that are not already full want somewhere between $500-600/night! To update, we (my brother and I) had secured one @$230/night, then when he went to put CC on file the other day, the rate had changed to $800/night with a 5 night minimum! moon.gif rant.gif So we declined, and he found a cabin owned by a friend of a client that's available. up.gif I also secured a motel in Eugene for 3 nights as a backup. I sure hope this is worth it. If for no other reason, I can re-stock my supply of Ninkasi! up.gif drink.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 12:13 pm 
I'm planning a trip into the Winds. I imagine the trail heads even there will be a mob scene though.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am 
A few notes.. - People outside the astro community don't understand that eclipse viewing is practically a religion for a lot of people and they will be coming out of the woodwork from around the world, like me they have been planning for this (and others) for decades. It started being a deal on the casual internets in the last few months...it has a been a deal in the astro community for decades and trust me, they've outplanned you.( And me, most likely. wink.gif) Do not think it's like a few more people than usual for a meteor shower or something. This is orders of magnitude different. - Do not underestimate the traffic. A truly massive number of people will descend upon the Madras area since it has the best chance of being clear in the US and I'm pretty sure the traffic will be biblical, both in and out....if you're planning a drive and return on that day it's pretty risky in terms of making it on time, IMO. In 1979 the little known Goldendale and Horse Heaven hills areas had a very high traffic volume. I was there and there were people parked everywhere in the middle of nowhere, and that was with super poor weather forecasts. - I expect this one to be way more crowded. 11 miles from the path, 19 minutes to go and you're in a 15 mile jam because of a flat tire in Shaniko after the 2 hours for the wreck on 84..you're screwed. IMO the drive down on the day of, even if you leave early, is by far the riskiest option. The sun and moon stop for no one...you can't make the wedding, work will have to do without...wink.gif - Totality is around 10:20 or so in Madras, and the partial eclipse begins about an hour earlier. - If you want to see the corona you *must* be in the path of totality. 90% total doesn't cut it, 99% total does not cut it. You *MUST* be in the path. If you're stuck in traffic outside it, all you get is a better than usual partial eclipse. No stars, no corona. - The closer to the centerline you get, the longer the total phase. For the full 2 min and a couple seconds, you must be within about ten miles of the centerline. - Beware of spending so much time and energy on photos and digital toys that you miss out on uncluttered experience of the total phase...it is only two minutes long. - Our plan is to avoid the chaos coming and going by making it a multiday car camp. I'm scouting dispersed sites along the centerline and E of the Cascade Crest this spring in preparation. - build a pinhole viewer with the kids, a box, some tape and foil. instructions abound on the interwebs. Also, any small scope or binos can be adapted with solar film you just rubberband it over the lenses. The *only* time it is safe to view the sun with direct vision is during the totality phase.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brockton

Brockton
PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Do not underestimate the traffic.
Thanks for the reality check. I have no idea what to expect but I fear that the worst my imagination can come up with for Central Oregon traffic that day won't be enough to prepare me. I don't know where yet we're going to stay the night before but at least we've blocked off the days before and after. Sleep in our car seats the night before? Sure! Hellish day-long traffic jam afterwards? Why not?