Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Bears Ears made national monument
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 28, 2016 4:23 pm 
Thanks President Obama smile.gif Latest National Monument adjacent to Canyonlands

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

The only easy day was yesterday...
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 pm 
+ Gold Buttes! smile.gif up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
gb

gb
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 10:27 am 
There is no question that the Dark Canyon Plateau along with adjacent Cedar Mesa is home to many of the most valuable and complete archaeological sites of Pueblo pre-historic culture. A friend of mine has long explored both of these areas and I've joined him a few times. Unlike many of the locals, my friend respected the archaeological sites and recognized them as a valuable part of the pre-history of the United States as well as of the legacy of Native Americans. Though the sites were protected by the Antiquities Act of 1906, that didn't keep many locals from breaking the law to the detriment of the cultural resources. The most recent blatant example of that came a few years ago when a group of Blanding locals were put on trial after decades of law breaking. Convictions were obtained, heavy fines levied, the offending parties shamed, and with a ring leader committing suicide. In the mid-90's I visited a site in the greater Grand Gulch area that my friend knew about that had a number of pots (one of which had been repaired with pitch), both corrugated and painted, a baby's headboard and carrying basket, painted gourds, corn grinding stations, a bundle of arrows, and what my friend recognized as gaming pieces similar to those found in Mayan cultures of Central America. I visited this site and we showed the utmost respect, erasing our tracks and leaving everything exactly as we had found it. A few years later my friend reported that all of the cultural artifacts of this very unique Pueblo work site had been stolen in a crime against the pre-history of the United States, and the legacy of modern Americans. By now, the lawlessness of certain locals has taken a toll making it unlikely similar surface sites or surface artifacts will be found. Nonetheless, middens still contain valuable archaeological resources. For it's part the Utah congressional delegation has made noises about protecting the Bears Ears area with the area of the proposed designation being along the same lines as that of the new monument. The leaders of this "effort" were Bishop and Chaffetz, but one has to question the honesty of their effort, especially given recent statements of another member of the delegation that the holes dug near these sites were the work of Badgers; an obvious lie. Had the Utah delegation been honest about their efforts they could easily have worked with the President in passing meaningful legislation so protecting this area. The proof is in the pudding. They did not. The plan of having Native Americans act as Monument guardians is a brilliant one as Native Americans care deeply about their heritage.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 11:34 am 
I have heard great things about this area, both in terms of the artifacts as well as the recreational opportunities. From friends as well as from UT locals who I've met while travelling. I look forward to its being (somewhat) protected by NM status for years to come, presuming the coming undivided government doesn't find a way to undo this protection.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 3:37 pm 
I found a GIS server with pics in the Bears Ears area by Tim Peterson. Click a red dot for the pic link.
View larger size in new window

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 5:23 pm 
party.gif Presidents are constrained in how much they can affect environmental issues, but setting aside land is one way that's concrete and effective. This makes my day. These actions often take place at the end of a presidential term, but I don't expect a repeat 4 years from now.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 am 
This might be the last land to receive any form of federal protection for the coming years.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
gb

gb
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:32 am 
Here is the official proclamation which details the resources, cultural and otherwise that are found within the new monument: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/12/28/proclamation-establishment-bears-ears-national-monument

RodF

RodF
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 2:50 pm 
President Obama wrote:
Proclamation -- Establishment of the Bears Ears National Monument The area's human history is as vibrant and diverse as the ruggedly beautiful landscape. The remains of single family dwellings, granaries, kivas, towers, and large villages and roads linking them together reveal a complex cultural history. The Doll House Ruin in Dark Canyon Wilderness Area and the Moon House Ruin on Cedar Mesa allow visitors to marvel at artistry and architecture that have withstood thousands of seasons in this harsh climate.
Bears Ears Inter-tribal Coalition wrote:
The Bears Ears cultural landscape is known to contain more than 100,000 cultural and archaeological sites, making it the most significant unprotected archaeological area in the United States. Perhaps nowhere in the United States are so many well-preserved cultural resources found within such a striking and relatively undeveloped natural landscape. Cedar Mesa has archaeological site densities that rival and perhaps exceed those found within many nearby national parks and monuments.
Are these lands deserving of Wilderness protection? Are they even eligible?
in Dark Canyon Wilderness, USFS
in Dark Canyon Wilderness, USFS
in Fish Creek Canyon Wilderness Study Area, BLM
in Fish Creek Canyon Wilderness Study Area, BLM
Two among the thousands of new targets for Wilderness Watch, for whom Wilderness is untrammelled by man, without permanent improvement or human habitation, and with no structures, full stop and don't read them rest of The Wilderness Act. Remove them all! Or, as historic value is a Wilderness value, preserve them?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:51 pm 
National Monuments are under the Antiquities Act which is very different from the Wilderness Act. In fact, the Antiquities act was expressly passed to protect First Nation relics from pot hunters, and not wilderness. Under Teddy Roosevelt it was expanded to cover natural wonders. There is not the slightest conflict.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 10:46 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
National Monuments are under the Antiquities Act which is very different from the Wilderness Act. In fact, the Antiquities act was expressly passed to protect First Nation relics from pot hunters, and not wilderness. Under Teddy Roosevelt it was expanded to cover natural wonders. There is not the slightest conflict.
up.gif Didn't take long for someone to try to sidetrack the thread toward a separate cause...

RodF

RodF
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 3:39 pm 
Malachi, National Monument designation does not supercede or nullify Wilderness designation.. Bears Ears National Monument includes Dark Canyon Wilderness (designated in the Utah Wilderness Act of 1984) in Manti-La Sal National Forest, Natural Bridges National Monument (72% of which NPS has determined is suitable for wilderness designation, and manages as wilderness), many BLM Wilderness Study Areas (also managed as wilderness, pending designation), and several USFS inventoried roadless areas which are eligible for wilderness study in the upcoming management plan. Note Bears Ears is a unique national monument, with joint agency management.
The President wrote:
Proclamation -- Establishment of the Bears Ears National Monument The USFS shall manage that portion of the monument within the boundaries of the National Forest System (NFS), and the BLM shall manage the remainder of the monument. The lands administered by the USFS shall be managed as part of the Manti-La Sal National Forest.
I agree with you that there is no conflict between the Wilderness Act and the Antiquities Act. Indeed, section 4(a)(3) of the Wilderness Act states "designation of any area of any park, monument, or other unit of the national park system as a wilderness area pursuant to this Act shall in no manner lower the standards evolved for the use and preservation of such park, monument, or other unit of the national park system in accordance with... any other Act of Congress which might pertain to or affect such area, including, but not limited to, the Act of June 8, 1906 (34 Stat. 225; 16 U.S.C. 432 et seq.) [the Antiquities Act]..." However, it includes no such explicit deference for areas managed by the USFS, including the Dark Canyon Wilderness within Bears Ears NM. Wilderness Watch does not agree with you. They argue "the Wilderness Act trumps historic preservation in wilderness" and again "The Wilderness Act's requirements to preserve wilderness character trump the more general goals for historic preservation". Their recent lawsuit (Wilderness Watch v. Creachbaum et al.) was over 5 historic structures, some built in Mt. Olympus National Monument when it was managed by USFS before 1933, or managed by NPS after 1933, or as a National Park after 1938. The court rejected their argument, but they've made it several times before and will probably continue.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
drm

drm
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 4:35 pm 
gb wrote:
For it's part the Utah congressional delegation has made noises about protecting the Bears Ears area with the area of the proposed designation being along the same lines as that of the new monument. The leaders of this "effort" were Bishop and Chaffetz, but one has to question the honesty of their effort, especially given recent statements of another member of the delegation that the holes dug near these sites were the work of Badgers; an obvious lie. Had the Utah delegation been honest about their efforts they could easily have worked with the President in passing meaningful legislation so protecting this area.
What I heard was that their support for this was a bargaining chip. They would support Congressional protection as long as other areas were opened up for commercial access, whether by transfer to the state or just classifying in a way that would allow the same use.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 6:02 pm 
Abert wrote:
Chaffetz Urges Trump to Revoke Bears Ears
In response Patagonia drops out of Outdoor Retailer over Utah leaders’ opposition to Bears Ears. From the article: "Patagonia's statement came one day after show organizers announced they are opening the door to proposals from other potential host cities after holding the enormous, twice-yearly gear show and convention for two decades in Salt Lake City. The search for a host city follows complaints by some in the outdoor industry — including Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard and Peter Metcalf, founder of Utah-based Black Diamond — that political leaders in Utah are hostile to the public lands that the recreation businesses depend on." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."