Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ultra Lite Water Proof Down Jacket
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canyon10

Canyon10
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 11:24 am 
Looking for a water proof ultra lite down jacket. Normally I research the gear top to bottom, but what the heck. There has got to be a gear junkie like me out there who has a recommendation. My Feathered Friends down jacket is what I go with now but it is kind of bulky and to puffy. Looking for a back up. USA made is a big consideration.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 2:01 pm 
Water proof or just a really good DWR?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 3:50 pm 
Most makers make separate "waterproof" and insulating garments. From my knot hole a waterproof down Jacket would be of limited utility. Good for working as a parking lot attendant or other relatively stationary outdoor job. For myself, I find down insulated jackets / parkas too warm to be worn while moving unless Temps are below 20F, where having the garment be waterproof rather than water resistant is of little use, since precipitation falls as dry snow instead of rain or wet snow.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 4:56 pm 
Agree with RH--it's hard to think of a good case for a waterproof down jacket. I also don't think I've ever seen one. Might you be talking about the new treated down that's supposed to be less prone to absorbing moisture? I think the jury's still out on that stuff, but if that's the concern, along with worries about the puffiness of down, why not go for a synthetic jacket? It'll be thinner and less vulnerable to moisture absorption.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Water proof or just a really good DWR?
(emphasis added) Moderators, please move this to the oxymoron thread. smile.gif

Bronco

Bronco
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 5:03 pm 
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:07 pm 
What's your intended use for this jacket? I agree with the others that it's probably best to have a down jacket for warmth and another layer for precipitation. Not too many down jackets are truly waterproof. Here is a nice list of some of this years best down jackets: http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-down-jackets I'm in the market for and ultralight down jacket myself and have been researching for the past several months. I'll probably go with a Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer hooded jacket when I can find one at a good price. REI's co-op down jacket looks like a great value at $99, but no bottom hem cinch was a deal breaker for me.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:20 pm 
Most hard shells are not truly waterproof either and if you have a puffy underneath it will get wet if the outside temp is over 10 F.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Canyon10

Canyon10
PostSat Dec 24, 2016 9:11 am 
I can spend much of the day in winter conditions either at work or at pleasure here on the East Side of the Cascades. So the shell material of my down jacket has to have good resistance to moisture. I was able to purchase a Featured Friends Hyperion down jacket (the last year they were made in USA) at a responsible cost with a Pro Discount. I am a big believer in Made In USA. However, the Pertex shell allows moisture to get into the down. For me a down jacket with a DWR or Gore-Tex or Event for shell fabric at about 12 ounces would fit my requirements. I could use it at work and it would be packable and light weight for backpacking. The Eddie Bauer looks good, but it is imported. Western Mountaineering has a good jacket made in Canada is a candidate, but the price tag is high. Thanks for the helpful suggestions and Merry Christmas.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:54 pm 
Canyon10 wrote:
Featured Friends Hyperion down jacket (the last year they were made in USA) at a responsible cost with a Pro Discount. I am a big believer in Made In USA. However, the Pertex shell allows moisture to get into the down. For me a down jacket with a DWR or Gore-Tex or Event for shell fabric at about 12 ounces would fit my requirements.
Pertex is a company, not a fabric. Pertex makes numerous kinds of fabrics. Hyperion shell is Pertex Endurance, which is merely a light ripstop with DWR. OTOH, FF uses Pertex Shield on its expedition down jackets. Pertex Shield is as weatherproof as GoreTex, IME more weatherproof than eVent. If $$ is not a problem, have FF custom make a Hyperion with Pertex Shield.

Pliny

Pliny
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 pm 
SITURATIONS AND CONDITIONS VARY TOO MUCH; ME THINKS You may know more about the conditions you work/play in, but from my experience conditions are so variable that layering is the way to go. I made some mistakes today dressing to warm on a steep hike and made several clothing changes. I don't see having one garment that is both waterproof/breathable and warm (down) would be an advantage over a high quality UL Montbell 800 down sweater and a separate recent generation breathable fabric shell (that is what I carry, with a fleece too if it is really cold). If it is raining it probably isn't below freezing so a w/p shell and a base layer works for me if I am hiking up-hill. When I get to the summit I can put on my down jacket under my shell. The other item I almost always carry is a very light wind jacket that has a DWR finish that has proved to be surprisingly resistant to a drizzle and is extremely breathable. The wind jacket over the Montbell is adequate for a wide range of winter conditions. So I guess my conclusion is, after all these years, to take a combination of things because conditions change and you need different things depending on how hard you are working.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:19 am 
If it's raining it's too warm for down. There's a reason FF makes its expedition down coats with WB shells, and it aint about rain.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jan 27, 2017 6:40 pm 
For three season hiking I carry both a 100 weight fleece jacket (North Face TKA) and a down hooded puffy (L L Bean Ultra Light). For added warmth or signicant rain I'll just throw on my rain gear on top of these. If I'm moving; the fleece and raincoat are almost always enough. I really only use the down when I've stopped and start to get chilled. Nothing like a warm down hoody first thing in the morning, makes it easier to get out of your sleeping bag. Useful Layering options is the Key. My selections were primarily on availability in tall sizes, and excellent versatility.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau