Forum Index > Partners > Wind Rivers 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
General ****

General ****
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm 
Looking forward to the trip. Appreciate all the work you are doing. Thanks, General

The General primarily backpacks solo.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
over the hill

over the hill
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 5:10 pm 
Lead Dog, It seems to me that the new permit requirement is more geared toward larger organized groups like the Scouts, NOLS, church groups etc. and/or involving the use of a packer and not small parties like yours. Looks like Titcomb and the Cirques popularity has led to the new policy and restrictions. Good luck with your trip and glorious fishing. Hope to make it back this year on the new bionic knee.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 am 
Covering all my bases. They are free and it is a-just-in-case thing to have. They expanded the areas a lot. Ecklund, Hobbs, and other lakes leading I camped at as a group leading into Titcomb Basin are now also on the no group camping/stock use list. Had to fill out paperwork I never had to before also.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 3:48 pm 
ya I think that 6 or so people doesn't matter...but covering base is good... second day cross lake area... up.gif third night-4th nite base camp...gotta have 6 nights total in the range!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 am 
ok so here's my plan..I am driving w/2 others...leaving late wed.july 19th..CAR CAMP montana for overnight...arrive pinedale thurs.4pm... car camp that thurs. night....fri.pm motel?.....hike sat-sat...drive home sunday 30th-mon. 31st....probably no work on august first!! perhaps the second day we are going 5m...this time its a short second day!! sheep lake..?...AND WE WILL HAVE A SET OF RADIOS..to call...end up at cross lake or just north of there...several areas to explore !! hockeygrin.gif thats 11 days total up.gif

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 2:12 pm 
I can't leave until Friday night on the 22nd. Have to be back on Sunday the 30th. Will meet up with you at Cross Lake on the 24th. Look for 2 old codgers shuffling along! tongue.gif wave.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 3:34 pm 
we'll figure it out...and I will leave a radio for u ...(small one)....in a box at the hotel...sounds like we can meet up at cross lake on your second night- plans may change but I def. want 2 nites to aclimatize and forget about driving 16-20 hrs with no sleep,then hiking the next day.. but u guys arn't starting till sunday... annnd sat when we get out showers and a nights rest before driving 2 days home... jab.gif ..... souse.gif souse.gif

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 am 
On the way over. I plan on going South thru Boise then up thru Utah then into Wyoming to Boulder. On the way back going thru Divide to the North, up to Butte, then hit I-90 home. The GRAND LOOP!!!! Funny thing is, it's almost the same distance and time driving both ways.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 pm 
hmm.. boise is an 10 hr drive...car camping past there...so u guys can't hike till sunday?.... we have time to change any plans .... up.gif hope that by monday pm we are at base campp somewhere past cross lake...

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm 
That's the way it worked out. Sunday would be when we could go in. And that's after driving all the way at one time Friday into Saturday. Staying at Deer Lodge Montana on the way out. Should all meet up at Cross Lake on Monday afternoon. up.gif

General ****

General ****
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 pm 
Lead Dog & Forest Gnome, I sent you both the same PM. Please read when you have the time. Thanks General ****

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm 
PM received, read. and replied. Taking your post home and getting out the maps! Taking tomorrow off to make a huge Dutch oven of homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs and watch the inauguration. Takes all day, so in between sampling the Sauce, having beers and watching the festivities I can take the time to see the "Possible new" plan. drink.gif chow.gif blowout.gif

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:39 am 
Reviewed the maps and route. I give it up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Base camp near or at Pyramid Lake and fish that basin, then go over the slight ridge to the west a mile and fish the 3 lakes in that basin. Beautiful views and campsites!! Same distance it is to hike in also!!! Great idea General!!!!

General ****

General ****
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 11:08 am 
Lead Dog, I agree, the Pyramid / Maes Lake area looks really well positioned. I like the fact that Maes holds 5 different species of trout, and that Pyramid is less than a mile to the north, Skull a mile south and Twin Lakes just to the northwest. Good location. General ****

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 pm 
Maes does look better. You are right about the tree cover and friendlier camping spots. The Wind can really rip up there! And shade is always a plus at 10,000+ feet!