Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 am 
InFlight wrote:
For vehicles with chain clearance issues; there is a product called a tire sock that can be used. They are apparently approved by WSDOT as a "chain".
have you read the reviews of those things? I had high hopes for them just to stuff in the car for emergencies. But they do so poorly, and may only last a few feet, that they only give a false sense of security. Unless they have vastly improved them since I looked into them about a year ago.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 2:11 pm 
Once upon a time, 'lo those many years ago, I put chains on the first 4wd subaru I owned. It was a '78 or thereabouts. I doubt that I needed them at that time and never put them on again. Always carried them though in case the "chain" sign was up.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 8:41 pm 
By the time WSDOT requires chains, you really don't want to be on the pass anyway. That's about a hour from them closing it down all together.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 pm 
ditto.gif I have had AWD/4x4 since 1984 and I have never put chains on them even though I had chains mostly because they were required. If they are requiring chains on 4x4 s you do not want to drive there. Never had an accident due to snow but have been run into when stopped a couple times.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 am 
Quote:
By the time WSDOT requires chains, you really don't want to be on the pass anyway. That's about a hour from them closing it down all together.
Quote:
If they are requiring chains on 4x4 s you do not want to drive there.
Harrumph (I agree)! wink.gif I've decided to try a full set of Hakka R2 SUVs on my 2017 Forester until March. I'll have to do more homework to figure out what to put on then...maybe all-weathers? Not sure how much snow I'll see during the summer (sounds like a stupid question...but, well...mountains, right?). In any case, with those tires and AWD if I need chains and wasn't planning on it...that can't be a good situation, lol.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am 
PaleoCook wrote:
I've decided to try a full set of Hakka R2 SUVs on my 2017 Forester until March. I'll have to do more homework to figure out what to put on then...maybe all-weathers? Not sure how much snow I'll see during the summer (sounds like a stupid question...but, well...mountains, right?).
Nice winter setup. Although ice can form after March in WA, a good AS tire should do fine in for the snow you'll see after March. Good plan to change out ice tires (Hakkas, Blizzaks and X-Ice) in March in these parts.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm 
It appears WSDOT waits until the semis jackknife and bumper cars start before putting the chains sign up. Maybe that's an unfair statement, but it does seem the crashes are their cue rather than actual conditions. Yeah, I always thought if conditions deteriorated to the point chains were being required even on 4WD/AWD, I didn't want to be there. But as a practical matter, one might need chains on a 4WD/AWD for a very short distance to extricate from a tough spot.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm 
I have been in the mountains of this area for over 25 years....and more trailheads than the majority of people on this website. I have never bought snow tires. I have never bought ice tires. 99% of time is on a paved road. Seriously. 70 miles of driving on paved road with 6 miles of gravel...or snow. I have always made my climbs. I will say...sometimes I have used chains. That is all. And guess what? I have made all places. Sometimes it would be nice to have a Suzuki Samurai to go another 4 miles...but I can walk, or ski. In my opinion, people are paying money for something they don't get the value out of.

Art is an adventure.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am 
Stefan wrote:
In my opinion, people are paying money for something they don't get the value out of.
Probably true, more often than not. Just like an air bag.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 am 
I get value by not having to lie on my back in the slush when the chains light comes on.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am 
Stefan wrote:
In my opinion, people are paying money for something they don't get the value out of.
On the face of it that view has validity only in the short term and/or if you frequently buy a new car. If you keep your vehicle for the life of two sets of tires (say 80,000 miles) the cost of summer + winter tires is roughly the same as 2 sets of year-round tires purchased consecutively. (This assumes you timely swap tires with the season to avoid undue wear on winter tires.) In terms of getting value, the right set of tires for the season is the least expensive and most effective way to significantly improve a vehicle's safety and performance. If you plan to keep the car for 60K+ miles you'll get more value in the form of better performance and safety for roughly the same cost with summer + winter tires vs. two sets of consecutively purchased year-round tires.

ejain

ejain
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm 
boot up wrote:
I had high hopes for them just to stuff in the car for emergencies.
I keep them in the car for compliance (they don't take up any space). Can't image a situation where they'd do much good (unless you have bald summer tires).

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I get value by not having to lie on my back in the slush when the chains light comes on.
up.gif

friluftsliv
over the hill

over the hill
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 1:24 pm 
Thanks all. I just ordered the Nokian WR G3's for our 2013 Forester from Point S tires in Everett which were readily available. A little less than the Discount Tire price. I'll post a report after awhile of use.

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Jan 27, 2017 9:04 am 
I'm a little late to weigh in here but I did find the video posted by Randy Hiker to be quite informative and in line with my experiences in Eastern Washington, Montana, and Idaho. I have two SUV type vehicles - the one that my wife drives in winter is equipped with Michelin X-ice tires on all four wheels and I have Michelin all season on mine. I realize they are two different vehicles with different drive trains but the X-ice equipped vehicle has never failed to negotiate any kind of snow/ice covered road period. My vehicle on the other hand struggles a bit in dicey conditions. The X-ice tires go on the vehicle (they're mounted on snow wheels) first week of November and come off at the end of March. I've never noticed any degradation of performance on dry, warmish roads with these tires. I would not have studded tires. In fact, I think their use borders on criminal and I'm in the camp that feels that if you want to drive with these you should pay a heavy cost to fund the road repair that inevitably results from their use.