Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:32 am 
We always used to do it by heading up hardscrabble and summit of Big Snow. Exiting through Tanks, La Bon Gap, and Williams to Middle Fork. Unfortunately, Middle Fork road adds 20 mi. now. Took until second trip to find shortcut to Williams from Tanks. doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 12:41 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We always used to do it by heading up hardscrabble and summit of Big Snow. Exiting through Tanks, La Bon Gap, and Williams to Middle Fork. Unfortunately, Middle Fork road adds 20 mi. now. Took until second trip to find shortcut to Williams from Tanks. doh.gif
That was such a great entrance to the high route. Loved that little bit of routefinding to get up to lower Hardscrabble where the scenery begins immediately with the towering cliff of Big Snow's Southern flank then the views open up as you get to upper Hardscrabble. Really irked me when they closed that road, loved to take newbie hikers up to Hardscrabble and it also provided really good access to other lonely spots along that ridge that require much more effort than a weekend can accommodate now. However, there is a reasonable alternative by going up Dingford to Big Snow Lake. That's a pretty fun route too, but a bit more challenging in a couple of spots.

Highsierraguy

Highsierraguy
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 2:46 am 
Any suggestions for a loop or semi loop around Olympic NP?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We always used to do it by heading up hardscrabble and summit of Big Snow.
Bedivere wrote:
there is a reasonable alternative by going up Dingford to Big Snow Lake.
I've done both as ALHR egress. I give the edge to the latter for reasons I will not discuss here. This summer Anita and I did the ALHR as described in Beckey I, going in from Lake Dorothy to Gold Lake. Pretty cool. Might do a TR.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm 
Highsierraguy wrote:
How many days? Do you have glacier travel chops?

Highsierraguy

Highsierraguy
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm 
We'll land in Seattle late on a Sunday and will have till Friday. So 5 days. Glacier Chops...not sure what those are....

kenbee

kenbee
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:46 pm 
If you're thinking of the Olympics, here's a possibility which doesn't require glacier chops (i.e. skills and experience on glaciers, basically): https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8013687&highlight=muncaster+basin Muncaster Basin is definitely off the beaten path--a combination of trail and off-trail (some of which is occasionally brutal), and some spectacular high Olympics scenery. The trip report I linked here was a longer one than you have time for, but we did at a leisurely pace...you sound like hikers who could do it in your time frame without marching yourselves to death. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in details--in the meantime, you can't go wrong with any of the other suggestions so far!

Highsierraguy

Highsierraguy
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 am 
Thanks for the ONP suggestion!! That looks like an amazing trip! For some reason I thought the ONP was mostly coastal with a lot of beach camping....but from that trip report it looks much more mountainess. Are there any good loop trips on the Washington Coast (in the ONP or likewise)?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 am 
The Skyline loop in the Quinault area is another good possibility. We did it on a long weekend but that was pretty rushed. There could be snow at the high point this summer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
Highsierraguy wrote:
Thanks for the ONP suggestion!! That looks like an amazing trip! For some reason I thought the ONP was mostly coastal with a lot of beach camping....but from that trip report it looks much more mountainess. Are there any good loop trips on the Washington Coast (in the ONP or likewise)?
Only loop on the coast I'm aware of is Cape Alava/Sand Point. But it's relatively short, approx. 9 miles. About 1/3 of the distance for each leg getting out to the beach and 1/3 of it is on mostly rocky beach between the two trails. The coastal strip is only a sliver of the overall area of ONP. The vast majority of it is river valleys and mountains.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
Highsierraguy wrote:
For a nice "almost loop" in ONP that offers a good combo of on/off trail (with the "off trail" mostly following beaten paths), the northern part of the Bailey Range is nice. Enter via Olympic Hot Springs to Appleton Pass / Oyster Lake. From there, take the "way trail" to Swimming Bear Lake / Cat Basin. Then across Catwalk, traverse Mt. Carrie, and then pick your way of choice to Ferry Basin (could stay low for Cream lake or high for "Stephan" lake if lakes are your goal). From Ferry Basin, up Mt. Ferry and drop off to Ludden / Scott saddle, where you pick your way to the old CCC trail along Ludden to Dodger Pt. Then out via Long Ridge trail to Whiskey Bend. Ingress / Egress trailheads are not the same, but close enough to make a bike shuttle or hitch fairly easy.