Forum Index > Trip Reports > Talapus and Olallie Lakes 1/12/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm 
Talapus and Olallie Lakes Snowshoe (with FSRD 9030 walk) 1/12/2017 || 11.66mi || 2,251ft Elevation Gain || Total Time: 5:29 Links to GPS, Photobucket, and Hillmap at the bottom. I got to exit 45 on I-90 around 6:15am. The exit was plowed. I proceeded left, under the highway, and decided to see how bad FSRD 9030 was. According to previous trip reports, it’s best avoided, so I was expecting a really bad road…which is about what I found =). The road is blocked off right at the bottom so people can’t even try to get up to the trailhead, which is probably a good thing. The road going up to the trailhead has some deeper snow at parts and you can see where people got stuck. I would have been a bit nervous even in my 2017 Forester (AWD, High Clearance, etc..) with a full set of Hakka R2 SUVs on it, but didn’t even need to make a choice. Today’s hike started off on FSRD 9030 (as many do during this time of year) with my snowshoes on right from the car. You could probably microspike it for a while if you don’t have snowshoes, but later on up by the lakes, you’ll need them. It took me about an hour and a half to walk up the FSRD to the trailhead. The hike from the trailhead up to the lakes was quiet and cold. I had my snowshoes on the entire time and enjoyed listening to the birds and watching the sun rise among the trees. I wore a wool buff over my face for most of the way up, which froze from my breath (I had another facemask packed for this very reason – it’s cold out there!). Water was also freezing, which I expected, but be aware of this. The trail wore a bit thin on the ridge right around 2900ft; You can see on my GPS trail where I made my own little switchback. With the NWAC forecast for the day at Moderate, and at this specific piece of this trail having about a 34-degree slope, I wasn’t taking any additional chances (already hiking alone which isn’t ideal). I reached Talapus Lake and had a quick snack, took in some views, and continued on to Olallie Lake. I was breaking a decent amount of new trail to Olallie and was very happy to have my snowshoes. Took a few more pictures at Olallie, ate some more, and then headed back down. I met two other parties on the trail today. Two men and their dog and then three women. Everyone seemed kind and I was happy to have given them a trail to follow. In hindsight, I wanted to chat more with each party, but was pretty cold and ready for some lunch. All in all, a great snowshoe to a couple frozen lakes. Garmin GPS: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1522441946 Photobucket: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Perry_Campbell/library/Talapus%20and%20Olallie%20Lakes%20011217 Hillmap: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDIsOGgCgw
Video:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
Looks like a great day in the mountains! Beautiful weather for it today too. up.gif

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm 
You are doing some excellent outings! up.gif