Forum Index > Gear Talk > How do you keep your water from freezing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kirt

Kirt
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:50 am 
With these colder temps I'm snowshoeing in, I'm finding it a challenge to keep my water from freezing. If I don't remember to drink from my water bladder every few minutes, the tube freezes up. Last night my water bottle froze at the neck. Lesson learned there, I'll bring the wide mouth bottle. Any tricks that folks find helpful when it comes to using a water bladder in colder temps?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:26 am 
You can get an insulator for the tube. Winter packs have a channel in the shoulder strap which is insulated. You can also get an insulated pad for wide mouthed water bottles. At night sleep with your water.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 am 
I don't use a bladder/tube combo. But friends who do use the tube insulator and they blow into the tube after each drink in order to clear the water out of it. This mostly seems to work but they do seem to have to fiddle with the tube and mouthpiece more on really cold days. Lately I've been using a platypus inside of an envelope made of Insul-Brite fabric (can be stapled if sewing is not your thing...) all inside of a lightweight stuff sack. I had a little slush in the bottom at the end of a very cold and long day last week, but it was still drinkable (and I've had slush at the end of the day in similar weather with nalgene bottles in thick closed cell foam - I think a heavy glass walled thermos is about the only thing that will prevent that throughout a long day when temperatures get down around 0F...).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:03 pm 
When it gets really cold a thermos is the only thing that works, even then I had a plastic handle break off one in Quebec at -20.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:19 pm 
Pee in the tube. Sometimes 8000+ meter climbers had to pee in their oxygen tube because of moisture buildup.

Art is an adventure.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:27 pm 
The tube is usually going to be the first thing to freeze. So you probably just want to skip it and go with regular bottles in ultra-cold temps. Also... keep bottles inside your clothing, up against your warm body, or inside your sleeping bag. fill them up with hot/boiling water to start off.

Col.Bobby

Col.Bobby
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:47 pm 
For day hikes in sub-freezing temps I fill my wide mouth nalgenes with ward-hot water or sweet tea at home. Bottle is insulated with a cozy made from aluminized bubble-wrap. This will keep the drink from freezing for maybe 4 hours. Bonus: I make my own "goo" using brown rice syrup thinned with light Karo syrup. In cold temps I winterize the mix with about 1/2 shot of vodka per 3 or 4 oz of "goo". This actually works!

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:50 pm 
http://shop.camelbak.com/antidote-insulated-tube/d/1134_c_321_cl_966 Or make your own from a dollar store Window Reflector and duct tape. Same works for a bottle cozy.

Col.Bobby

Col.Bobby
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
For day hikes in sub-freezing temps I fill my wide mouth nalgenes with hot water or sweet tea at home. Bottle is insulated with a cozy made from aluminized bubble-wrap. This will keep the drink from freezing for maybe 4 hours. Bonus: I make my own "goo" using brown rice syrup thinned with light Karo syrup. In cold temps I winterize the mix with about .5oz "1/2 shot) of vodka per 3oz of "goo". This actually works!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:56 pm 
Keep your water above 32 degrees. That means an insulated water container. A water bottle with handmade or purchased cozy, or a thermos, or a double-walled vacuum water bottle . Unless someone provides a clever solution, ditch the drinking tube. It's winter. Or hike below the freezing level.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 pm 
I use to put items in a stuff sack wrap them in a base layer or socks then use a hand warmer pack.

Living in the Anthropocene
Nosferatu

Nosferatu
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 5:44 pm 
A tablespoon of vodka per liter of water will keep it from freezing and kill off any bacteria!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 6:25 pm 
Yup, lose the tube on <25F days and wide-mouth bottle for sure. I drink little water on very cold days because it's easy to regulate temp and not sweat much. (By contrast I drink lots of water in summer.) OTOH I see lots of people overdressed while moving on cold days. On longer tours I bring a stove to melt snow and make tea for lunch. Some people carry a bottle inside their jacket.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 7:15 pm 
OTOH, a tablespoon of water in a liter of vodka will keep your libation liquid, even in a tube.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm 
10% ethanol (wine) reduces the freezing point to 25F 20% (port MD 2020) a table spoon of vodka in a liter would only reduce it a degree or so. Straight vodka freezes at -15F.