Forum Index > Trail Talk > Springtime in Sedona, AZ
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 am 
Spending a few days later this spring in Sedona, AZ. Anyone been that can offer up some advice....hiking trails, places to eat, etc?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 6:39 am 
My wife and I did Doe Pass and Soldiers Pass from our hotel room in town and had a great time. You can see the trip report here.

gb

gb
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 am 
We did one hike out of Oak Creek Canyon but didn't find it that impressive as it stayed in forest in a valley bottom. I recall that Wuptaki National Monument was very photogenic at sunset. I would find out more about the Sinagua culture of ancient pueblo peoples. There is also, for instance, Walnut Canyon National monument, which I didn't visit. The ancient ruins of the SW are one of the best parts of visits to the SW.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 am 
Following! We're going down to that area this spring for a few days, too. There are so many options that it's hard to pick what's most important to see.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
MultiUser

MultiUser
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 3:07 pm 
Check with the bike/outdoor stores to get trail conditions. A snowstorm or rain can have some trails in bad shape for a period afterward and snow can linger for a surprising amount of time. However having been there in Feb twice, there has always been a location where dry trail could be found.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 pm 
Based on your TRs you're ok with a little scrambling. So find some information for hiking up Capitol Butte via "The Lizard" formation. It's not in the guide books but I was able to find a GPS track online. It's a fun open rocky scramble with minimal exposure. The GPS is useful for getting started up the right trail but higher up just follow the boot track and an occasional cairn. Note how you got up so you can repeat the route down and not get cliffed out. I really enjoyed a hike up Wilson Mountain too, but it's not a red rock hike. Trails go near the summit, but not all the way. Aren't there peak baggers in Arizona? IMO, you really can't go wrong in Sedona. There are dozens of great hikes. Bear Mountain is fun too. I'm heading back for another visit in May. My mom used to live there.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:49 pm 
Thanks for the info, and keep the tips coming. I'll be there the first week of May, so feeling that should be ideal time for some hikes. Capital Butte via Lizard Head is definitely on my list.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 9:58 pm 
More for photography than hiking, but Montezuma Castle National Monument is pretty cool. Someone else mentioned Waputaki - I'll second that. It's a neat place for sure.