Forum Index > Trip Reports > Artist vs Paradise
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 pm 
Took advantage of the snowy, sunny, clear, crisp and cold days this past couple of weeks. Gorgeous days! Couldn't have asked for better conditions. Virtually no wind at both destinations Destinations almost equal distance from Kirkland. 108 miles south to Paradise and 127 miles north to Heather Meadows. With no traffic, about 2 1/2 hr drive. Visited both areas during the week ( about 1 week apart ) and encountered just a handful of other snowshoers. Paradise
Artist Point
2017-01-13_09-41-09
2017-01-13_09-41-09
Winner ( in my opinion ) Artist Point

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
capbiker

capbiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:19 pm 
Nice photos. I agree to Artist Point as the winner. I was up there yesterday, and it was spectacular. Especially loved the wind sculpted snow, as you have depicted in your photos. And Mt. Shuksan...just 'wow'! Such a gloriously rugged mass of mountain.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:57 pm 
Those wind patterns in the snow are awesome, well captured in your pics. Mt. Baker in one direction and Shuksan in the other, hard to beat that.

glenn_b

glenn_b
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm 
Great pics, indeed. But a 2.5 hour drive is a deal-breaker in my world unless there aren't any other options. From here(Ellensburg), I can drive to Crystal Mtn(WA's best ski area?) in ~3 hrs but White Pass, Stevens and Mission are 90 minutes away, Snoqualmie just 45 minutes when the roads are good. I love Blewett (1/2 hr from my house) but have quit it now that Elk Heights, Manastash and Umtanum Ridges are in. I just don't like to drive any farther than necessary for some fun.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 pm 
Beautiful! I've snowshoed at Paradise a few times, but never been to Artist Point but it looks like the winner to me. I've been thiiiiiiis close to driving the 4 1/2 hour drive (for me) each way to see the sun rise up there. I still hope to do so this winter if conditions cooperate. Any avy concerns when you were up there?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 9:53 pm 
Artist Point is always worth the long drive...as long as it's sunny cool.gif

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:06 pm 
My vote for Artist. Not to say anything bad about Paradise, but other than the BIG show and the Tatoosh, the panorama isn't quite as overwhelming as it is at Artist. Just so many tall, rugged peaks in all directions.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 10:24 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
awilsondc wrote:
Any avy concerns when you were up there?
No. Not where we traveled. Straightforward non technical snowshoeingYes, if you decide to go up on Table Mountain, beyond to the Chain Lakes or over to the Herman Saddle / Herman slopes
FYI, Artist Point if generally safe in current conditions, but there is a know, fatal avalanche zone on the road you snowshoed between the parking lot and Artist Point. Don't go there if Northwest Avalanche Center rates the hazard higher than moderate. That's also true for the summer trail to Panorma Point at Paradise. Not safe in winter. Also the site of fatal avalanches. I agree that Artist Point is an exceptionally beautiful place in winter.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Artist vs Paradise Winner ( in my opinion ) Artist Point
Timberline. smile.gif Generally better weather than the Mt. Baker area, and unlike the lazy MRNP staff, Timberline actually opens their road on time and keeps it open late. Avy danger is fairly low unless you go looking for it. You can wander away from the lodge and have a wilderness experience, and yet ski from the summit down to the bar for a burger and beer. Lots of beautiful scenery.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:56 pm 
Just a liiiiitle bit far from Pugetopolis, yeah?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 12:15 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Just a liiiiitle bit far from Pugetopolis, yeah?
3.5 hours from the south end. Just slightly farther than Mt. Baker. Paradise is significantly closer, sure, but personally I'd rather drive a couple extra hours than deal with the Longmire gate shenanigans and tire-chain cops. Once they open the gate two-hours late and then force you to chain-up on bare, dry pavement, you have all of 10 minutes to enjoy yourself until you have to rush back down the mountain before the gate closes again. LAME.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:53 pm 
Enjoyed it so much, we went back 3 days later with our daughters. A moody day and just as beautiful as it was 3 days prior. Quickly changing cloud play over Mt Baker was fun to watch
Artist Point Table Mountain
Artist Point Table Mountain
Artist Point Mt Shuksan
Artist Point Mt Shuksan
Artist Point Mt Shuksan
Artist Point Mt Shuksan
Artist Point
Artist Point
Artist Point
Artist Point
Artist Point Mt Shuksan
Artist Point Mt Shuksan

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 pm 
Matt wrote:
FYI, Artist Point if generally safe in current conditions, but there is a know, fatal avalanche zone on the road you snowshoed between the parking lot and Artist Point. Don't go there if Northwest Avalanche Center rates the hazard higher than moderate.
During Mt. Baker Ski Area season, when at Austin Pass and at the sign informing you that you are leaving the patrolled area, stick to the general route of the deeply snow-covered road. Important! When you come near an isolated massive mountain hemlock tree, head straight up the hill on your right to a broad basin. DO NOT continue straight past that large isolated tree where the summer road climbs and switchbacks on the steep slopes north of Artist Point. This is the potentially deadly avalanche slope. This area can become disorienting in poor visibility if one is unfamiliar with the terrain. As Matt recommends, it is best to avoid going beyond Austin Pass at all when avalanche is very high or extreme. Although the views aren't nearly as good, fun is to be had relatively safely between the upper parking lot and the large building near the base of Austin Pass, the Heather Meadows Visitors Center (itself closed during snow season).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still