Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Book Cancelled
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostMon Feb 25, 2002 12:57 pm 
I was just notified by Amazon that my two year old pre-order of THE RANGE OF GLACIERS: EXPLORATION AND SURVERY OF THE NORTHERN CASCADE RANDGE by Fred W. Beckey was cancelled as it will not be released. I'm bummed. :angry:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 9:06 pm 
I'm sorry to hear that, Pappy. I just received my very first Fred Beckey, guide, Columbia River to Stevens Pass, Third Edition, and I can't put it down. I've never seen a guide with so much information. Incidentally, I just finished reading Cascade Voices, and Beckey figured prominently throughout the book (were you the one who recommended it?) . Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 11:54 pm 
I second that bummer. I had a pre-purchase "hold" on that book for several months last year at the KCLS. It was purged when the publish date got slid. Now it seems the book ain't gonna happen. Too bad. Anybody know the details?

PostTue Feb 26, 2002 8:04 am 
Glad you liked Cascade Voices. That is full of great stories and characters. As great as Challenge of the North Cascades and the Beckey guides are, I was thinking that Range of Glaciers was going to be the "cherry on top" of his books. All I know is what I got from Amazon yesterday and they used the words "not be released". mad.gif mad.gif

REJ

REJ
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 8:46 am 
FYI: I recently asked the leading US mountain specialty bookseller about the status of the book "Range of Glaciers...": Here is his response: "The publisher, the Oregon Historical Society, has only told lies to me, the author, and the book trade and public. They have never told the truth. Neither Fred Beckey nor anyone knows the truth. The latest word is maybe this year. But I have said that so many times that I would prefer not to say it and think you might believe me, as I do not, cannot know the truth. It breaks my heart that they have done this to Fred Beckey, who at heart is an honorable person and a great climber, and deserves better. So do we as readers and booksellers."

REJ

REJ
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 2:43 pm 
This is the response I got from the publisher to my query regarding the publication status of Range of Glaciers... "Thank you for your interest in the Oregon Historical Society. I have forwarded your message to the assistant editor of the Oregon Historical Quarterly, Joy Margheim. At this time, the OHS Press has not set a date for the publication and release of Mr. Beckey's book. The OHS Press hopes to make the book available to the public during the Spring of 2003. Ms. Margheim will notify you when a date for the release of the book has been set. The society appreciates your patience in waiting for Mr. Beckey's new book. Please feel free to contact the Oregon Historical Society via e-mail at orhist@ohs.org or telephone at 503.222.1741 if you have any further questions."

PostWed Mar 13, 2002 2:55 pm 
REJ, thanks for the info. 2003? Man, are they trying to squeeze the old guy or what? Hope he doesn't need the money now. I've heard stories that he's not well off??

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 12:42 am 
I thought I saw this in the bookstore. It's pretty darn expensive though.

co-operative

co-operative
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 1:15 am 
We could all chip in and buy a copy ---------------------------------------- An expensive book Can still be purchased, yes sir! Pass the hat around...

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 9:24 am 
Library's got it, if you want to get a peek before buying it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 10:08 am 
Yes, I'd like it if you people would buy me a copy, since I've had no time to buy one due to working too much overtime and spending the rest of my time wandering on glaciers. That way I could afford it. So TIA for buying it for me.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Dec 28, 2004 1:01 pm 
Wandering around on glaciers seems like a risky preposition (i.e. a to b to c to d to e to ...) Don't the odds of falling into a crevasse increase linearly with every meandering step? The shortest path would seem the safer preposition (i.e. a to b).

Jake

Jake
PostSat Jan 01, 2005 6:32 pm 
Strange to say the least! I bought it several months ago. I think I got it at 3rd Place Books in Lake Forest Park. I do know it was printed and available. Something wrong here.