Forum Index > Trail Talk > Superstitions in March
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
feldychi

feldychi
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Hello fellow NW hikers, My partner and I are planning a trip to the Superstitions for late March. I day hiked there a very little bit about 20 years ago only. Was in late spring/early summer so very hot so we didn't get far. We are hoping to do a couple of short (2-3 day) or a longer (4-5 day) backpack. Looking for suggestions. I have a few suggestions for must do day hikes but nothing for a backpack. We are experienced backpackers here and in the SW and realize that water sources will be the biggest challenge. Also if anyone has a suggestion for a more local hiking group like nwhikers.net in the AZ area, I would love that too so I can post a similar request there. Thanks in advance for any help, Carrie

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
capbiker

capbiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 pm 
Don't know about a 'swhikers.net', but you might check in with Summit Hut. They have 2 locations in Tucson, and are a great resource.

feldychi

feldychi
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 7:47 pm 
Thank you. I will check The Summit Hut out!

NorthBen

NorthBen
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 1:30 pm 
The Arizona Trail and Grand Enchantment Trail both travel through the Superstitions, to different extents. You might get some route ideas from them and you should be able to find relatively good and/or recent info on water sources and trail conditions. I've been on both, though it's been ~5 years for the AZT and ~2 for the GET, and would describe the Arizona Trail as better maintained and "gentler" while the GET takes some less-traveled trails where you'll get an authentic desert experience with bushwhacking through catclaw and everything. The Arizona Trail, as an official National Scenic Trail, actually sees trail maintenance from time to time and is regularly traveled, while the GET is a conceptual route that simply makes use of what's already on the ground. You'll know best which one sounds more appealing. Have fun!