Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Rainier's most impressive glacier?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 4:53 pm 
The view from Steamboat Prow is pretty spectacular--and it's a nice day trip, in May, though bringing skis helps make it a great day! https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/sets/72157604634147155/ Mind you, I was just 37 that year and jumping crevasses on skis was no big deal.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Cool Peter! As climbers we did the more common lower crossover dropping onto the Emmons ... then up to Camp Schurman. I have a friend whose husband was a climbing ranger at Schurman who would visit him during the summer via Mt Ruth, Steamboat Prow and the rocky trail down from the top. Here's a video Robert put together of our summit via the Emmons back in 2007. The first night was volatile with high winds ... some tents were blown over and some climbers lost their gear forever. On climb day we had an awesome sunrise, but eventually were engulfed by clouds (no views from the summit) and nearly blown over by high winds. Still, everyone made it to the summit and signed the register. On our descent we all decided to try roped glissades down the Inner Glacier. It was a bit tricky, but a blast.
Mount Rainier Climb, 2007 from Crest Pictures on Vimeo. BTW, here's a photo I just found of the Nisqually Icefall taken from the trail just below Inspiration Point in January, 2011.
Nisqually Icefall
Nisqually Icefall

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
silence

silence
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am 
Thought some of you might be interested in this map of Rainier's 25 glaciers. http://glaciers.pdx.edu/Projects/LearnAboutGlaciers/MRNP/Atlas10.html Years ago I remember descending from Klapatche Park to the N Puyallup, looking up and being totally awestruck by the massive hanging toe of the Puyallup Glacier. That image has stuck in my mind ever since.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 7:53 pm 
Woof, that map has some issues: - They spelled Flett Glacier as "Fleet" - The Stevens Glacier was long gone by 1994, but the Williwakas still existed (technically still might, but chances are it's stagnant now). They might have been legitimately part of the Paradise Glacier 100 years ago but with the retreat of the lower lobe of the Paradise the two smaller ones split off pretty quickly I bet. - They have the Pyramid and Van Trump Glaciers swapped with one another (Van Trump should be between the Kautz and Nisqually). - Didn't even bother to label the Liberty Cap Glacier.