Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rain covers or trash compactor bags?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 12:06 pm 
silence wrote:
Super cheap and super ez to make ... pick your fabric, plus some elastic cord
Agree. Silnylon, my fabric of choice for pack covers, is a big slippery for sewing novices so urethane coated ripstop might be the better choice for a noobie.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 12:17 pm 
Oh, and a toggle for $.60 unless you have an old one around. Note, the fabric comes very wide. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/barrel.jpg Oh, and sorry Steve, didn't catch your post about making it yourself, too. And yes, we use them as covers at camp as well. If the forecast doesn't call for rain, we'll take a lighter garbage bag instead ... just in case.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 pm 
Neither. No damned stupid covers that fly off, or snag on brush and pull off. No damned stupid space hogging liner bags that get in the way. Seam seal your backpack the same way you would your tent when you buy it. Silicon rubber diluted 50-50 in mineral spirits. Manufacturers do not as this would take quite a bit of time on their part and would cost quite a bit. Bottom of pack will need to be seam sealed later in life as well. Same goes for the roll enclosure or pack lid. Duh, wear points...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm 
spamfoote wrote:
No damned stupid covers that fly off, or snag on brush and pull off.
Mine don't. I win.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
spamfoote wrote:
No damned stupid covers that fly off, or snag on brush and pull off.
Mine don't. I win.
1) You have to bring it with you... down.gif Forget to bring clown.gif , lose it on the trail up.gif 2) Bravo, you have to take it on and off every damned time you need to get in your pack. Bravo. Brilliant "win". shakehead.gif 3) When a seam sealed pack + all the external junk that doesn't really fit under the pack cover... goes through the wet brush, 100% of the time, it remains dry. I don't have a pack cover to snag on brush. 4) If, it is high summer, you can ditch the rain cover at home and carry a marginally lighter pack. ~1oz saved from seam sealing... Pack cover weighs more(3oz). So, uh... well... uh.. For most who only go weekend warrior style, they never take a rain cover anyways as it doesn't matter if stuff gets marginally wet. 1/2 win for you? 3.5 : 0.5 embarassedlaugh.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:21 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
In bad weather, I use both.
I will admit, I do this in Spring and Fall seasons sometimes, just depending on my gear. I have a very nice and very light weight silnylon pack cover from Integral Designs. It stays on and is pretty good but it eventually will wet through in a steady long rain. It also gets in the way if I am carrying an Ice axe or need to strap my hiking poles to my pack. A trash compactor liner will reliably keep things dry not only in rain, but also in deep stream crossings and such. A pack cover can abrade, puncture, or rip and thus compromise its water shedding ability. But a liner is much less subject to that because it is protected by the pack itself. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:44 pm 
Interesting to see several ideas. I like plastic or dry bags for the gear I want to keep dry on long day hikes. I think sacks and a cover are a good idea for longer treks.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:15 am 
They are a little spendy, but Hyperlight Mountain Gear makes backpack shaped "Pods" that slip down into your pack and use space very efficiently. I use the small size for clothes and the big one for my sleeping bag. You can also jam them into your outside stretch pocket since they are 100% waterproof.