Forum Index > Gear Talk > Bits and pieces to keep the old gear running.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hotfoot1951

hotfoot1951
PostSat Sep 21, 2002 11:08 am 
Can anybody suggest favorite websites, sporting goods stores, junk stores, etc. that are good resources for replacement pieces. You know, the kinda things like: frame tube plugs for a very old Kelty, a new filler cap for a Svea 123, etc. Yep, I still hike with this old stuff! clown.gif I hate to sideline a good piece of equipment just because I can't find a two-bit part that would keep it running.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Oct 07, 2002 11:10 am 
Hotfoot - you found the right person here. I collect and use old stuff. More often than not I still use my old external frame pack from the mid-1970's as well as my original SVEA123 and my Optimus 99. I also collect old stoves and backpacking gear. There is a fantastic thread on TLB (The Lightweight Backpacker web page) in regard to the SVEA123. If you log over there you can find it under the title "SVEA123" in the main discussion room. Here are some old stove repair links from that discussion: Try asking at these sites (if you haven’t yet): http://stovecollector.tripod.com/Default.htm http://www.packstoves.com/ http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions%203.htm http://www.canoecountry.com/ http://www.myccr.com/ http://www.paddling.net/ I've used the A&H Enterprises outfit in Irvine, Cal., for a few parts for my Optimus 99, and they also have parts for the SVEA. The one based in the UK is a fantastic site for parts and diagrams, literature, etc. Another great site - and a funny one, is the "stovecollector.tripod.com" site above. The operator looks like a madman, which I like. These are for stoves. On the subject of old gear and parts for older external frame packs, I really don't know of any websites or stores that specialize in them. My hiking buddy and I like our old gear, even though we own new stuff too, and we shop around junk shops, garage sales, etc., for old packs and use them for a parts supply. We've been very lucky at garage sales. I made a post right here on nwhiker.com several a few months back asking for old broken down external framed packs that people might want to get rid of, and very nice person gave me her old REI Crusier, which we canibalized for it's mesh backband and hip belt, likewise the cotter pins and posts come in handy, too. As a last resort, you might try Rainy Pass Repair, here in Seattle, for parts or repair on old packs and gear. I think they have quite a stockpile. Good luck. Cliff
hotfoot1951 wrote:
Can anybody suggest favorite websites, sporting goods stores, junk stores, etc. that are good resources for replacement pieces. You know, the kinda things like: frame tube plugs for a very old Kelty, a new filler cap for a Svea 123, etc. Yep, I still hike with this old stuff! clown.gif I hate to sideline a good piece of equipment just because I can't find a two-bit part that would keep it running.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 07, 2002 1:13 pm 
Great info Cliff. I've got two Svea's and I've been looking for the cleaning needle for my oldest one. Do you think they (A&H) carry them and the little rubber ring gaskets for the caps? You've inspired me to go out and get the stoves out of the garage and fire them up. It might be fun to take my Svea and sigg set on an overnighter again. wink.gif Anyone else here ever buy and use the original MSR thunderbird ice axe? It was all orange but a great improvement on ice axe design by Larry Penberthy. For that matter, did anyone else ever meet Larry? He was a fascinating person and he made me a pack that I used for over 30 years(back in my heavy gear packing days) Cliff, I used a trapper nelson when I started backpacking in the Sierras a long time ago. It was state of the art then. Ah, you're making me wax nostalgic. I think we've seen a complete change in gear (IMO, for the better) and sometimes it makes me feel even older than I am. rolleyes.gif Dean

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
salish

salish
PostMon Oct 07, 2002 2:18 pm 
Dean, I would think A&H would be the first place to look. Somewhere in my garage I have their parts list, but I know I won't be able to find it. The gal that answers the phone (if she's still there) was a big help. I think they will probably sell you the entire cap, as opposed to the o-ring, but who knows? I don't have a Thunderbird, but a co-worker of mine still has his original, and it's orange, too. My co-worker is in his mid 60's and could probably outclimb most 40 year olds, and he recalls when the change was made (by Penberthy) to the more modern axe. He's climbed long enough to know the differences and swears by the "new" pick design. My Trapper Nelson is a Trager model and is built for kids. Still, I can sometimes get away with using it as a heavy day pack. I've had it since 1966 or so. It was a great improvement over my other pack, which was a BSA Yucca pack. I agree with you on the improvement of gear over the past 40 years or so. I do know some people who think backpacking gear reached it's zenith around 1976 or thereabouts. Not so sure I agree with them, but I know I I keep going back to that old stuff for some reason I can't understand.... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 07, 2002 3:58 pm 
I have one of the original Thunderbirds and still use it at times. Penberthy had been wrapping wood shafted axes in fiberglass to prevent them from breaking after there had been some problems observed by the safety committee of the Mountaineers. He sold the first T-birds below cost which was cheaper if you bought three or more as I remember it cost $10.95 when a good wood shafted axe was around $30. His object was to drive the wood shafted axes out of existence. He also developed what he called positive clearance which meant the axe dug in rather than skated on hard ice. This was a bit to effective in some cases. You could also get them in blue. He was an interesting person and even ran against Scoop for senate.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn