Forum Index > Trip Reports > Acatenango - Dec 29, 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:43 pm 
On Dec 29, I hiked up Volcan Acatenango, just outside out Antigua, Guatemala. I asked around, and the general consensus was that hiking solo, especially as a woman, was not recommended. For this trip I went with OX Expeditions, which was a fine tour company, but Old Town Outfitters (the company that took us up Pacaya) remains my favorite. Regardless, it was a fun day, and I surprised myself by having a great time hiking with a relatively large group of approx 10 people. My Suunto watch says it was 8 miles round trip and 6100 ft of elevation gain – a stout hike for sure, especially since we started at an altitude of 7000 ft and ascended to just over 13,000 ft. While Acatenango is definitely not family-friendly like Pacaya, it is certainly achievable as a day hike if you’re willing to do a bit of slogging and have a little Type 2 fun.
The first mile of the hike is through corn fields. The summit of Acatenango is still out of sight, but it’s possible to catch glimpses of Atitlan (shown here).
The first mile of the hike is through corn fields. The summit of Acatenango is still out of sight, but it’s possible to catch glimpses of Atitlan (shown here).
Paintbrush and toilet paper – both commonly seen in the high alpine of Acatenango. We brought down 3 garbage bags full of trash, and didn’t even put a dent in things.
Paintbrush and toilet paper – both commonly seen in the high alpine of Acatenango. We brought down 3 garbage bags full of trash, and didn’t even put a dent in things.
Fog rolling in and out
Fog rolling in and out
Misty rainbow
Misty rainbow
Taking a break at the saddle just before the summit
Taking a break at the saddle just before the summit
Summit push
Summit push
Volcan Agua, tucked in by clouds
Volcan Agua, tucked in by clouds
Last stretch of trail before the top
Last stretch of trail before the top
Approaching the summit crater
Approaching the summit crater
Warming our hands in volcanic vents
Warming our hands in volcanic vents
Lunch in front of Volcan Fuego
Lunch in front of Volcan Fuego
Pastoral views
Pastoral views
Fuego letting off a little steam
Fuego letting off a little steam
Descending through the cloud forest
Descending through the cloud forest
https://evergreenendurance.com/2017/01/16/volcan-acatenango/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 11:01 pm 
up.gif I especially liked the first pic on the link.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:36 pm 
We were just in Antigua a few days ago and I spent a lot of time looking at Acatenango, Fuego and Agua. Unfortunately, our schedule didn't allow time to climb any of them. Hopefully later this trip we'll get up Tajamulco, and if so, I'll report on that. But the fun thing we experienced was a minor eruption of Fuego visible from our roof top restaurant while we were enjoying mojitos. For the locals this was no big deal, but a highlight for us. The photo isn't great, but it was dramatic in real life as lava flowed down the side. Acatenango is the double peak on the right side.
Fuego eruption
Fuego eruption
Tragically, six people just died of hypothermia on Acatenango. The story as I heard it was that a group was being led by a person that had been up many times. I don't think they planned on camping up high (many do), and the weather closed in and they got disoriented and could not find the trail down. One member of the group headed off on her own and they said "you'll get lost and die if you leave" (paraphrase, not a quote), but she was the only one that survived.

jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm 
Wow, that's the first I'd heard about the deaths on Acatenango. Very sad. frown.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:19 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Fuego eruption
Fuego eruption
Monty! That is WAY cool up.gif Enjoy your trip! cool.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'