Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 4:32 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boomheist

boomheist
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm 
I think it's just a campsite now, on Six Ridge Trail, by a little stream on the way to Sundown Pass. I was there a few years ago, didn't see any signs of a structure (but I wasn't looking, either)

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 5:21 pm 
It seems one of the old trail guide books had a photo.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bruce

Bruce
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 am 
REF: Phil 2004 large blaze/sign on the Seven Stream side.......this was the location of a phone box in the days of wire telephones.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
Bruce wrote:
REF: Phil 2004 large blaze/sign on the Seven Stream side.......this was the location of a phone box in the days of wire telephones.
I've long wondered about that! Both the 1930 and 1933 Olympic National Forest map depicts a dots (a phone line) running alongside the trail from Big Log up to Six Ridge Point, and the 1933 map shows it ending at "TLP" a telephone box, presumably for fire reporting.
Don Stoneman at Six Ridge phonebox
Don Stoneman at Six Ridge phonebox
Bruce, might you know what's the story behind what looks like a platform cache (and separate, in the trees on the west edge of the basin, what looks like a "target board") nailed up in the trees in Sundown Basin, on the south side of Sundown Pass? I recall hearing that a hunting cabin once existed there, but these appear to have no connection with that.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Bruce

Bruce
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm 
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 2:10 pm 
So the theory is that the wire ran on the west side of the ridge? Wish I'd found remnants of path used by L.O.'S maintaining wire. I was headed to Lake Failure (aka Success). That short steep sided part where the Olson ridge bumps into Six Ridge was more of a snow covered arrete that year. I spent 10 minutes trying to convince myself it was just a short piece. But not being a climber I decided to go over Six Ridge, and camp at McGravey. I never saw any sign of wire, pathway, route or anything but steep and brush. It'd been much faster and easier to have walked back to intersection with Six Ridge, and then to McGravey. Is shortcut the most misleading word in the English language?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
jask

jask
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:09 pm 
We discovered quite a bit of old camp artifacts (glass, planks, cans, lots of wire) probably from an old elk hunting camp on the Seven Stream side of the divide right where you take off on the way trail to Lk. Success. It's otherwise a nice campsite with water nearby. RodF: There's Don Stoneman again!

RodF

RodF
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 11:57 am 
Pyrites wrote:
So the theory is that the wire ran on the west side of the ridge?
The the 1930 and 1933 USFS maps show phone wire ran up the east end of Six Ridge Trail, from Big Log shelter near the confluence of Seven Stream and the North Fork Skokomish, up to the phone box alongside the trail near Six Ridge Point (point 4126). I've not seen a map indicating the phone line was ever extended further west towards the Mt. Olson/Lake Success trail junction or Belview Shelter.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva