Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostTue Mar 01, 2016 3:45 pm 
How is backpacking with PF?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm 
Not sure about backpacking but I am likely to find out this summer. I had held off from playing basketball for 3 weeks, then played a couple of games 2 weeks ago and my heel hurt a LOT. So no more bball for a while if at all. My PF has pretty much stabilized, still hurts but tolerable. I bought some heel pads from Freddys for about 8 bucks that are specifically for PF and they have helped some. They have 2 types in stock, I bought the non gel type.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 4:31 pm 
In response to the question about how is backpacking with PF, it only hurt when I put the foot that had it on the ground.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Mar 02, 2016 5:00 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
In response to the question about how is backpacking with PF, it only hurt when I put the foot that had it on the ground.
That was my experience also. As long as you could avoid using the PF foot while hiking, it was no problem.

friluftsliv
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am 
Trail Angel wrote:
I made the mistake of thinking extra padding might help - all it did was move my foot just enough in the boot to cause a huge blister to form where none had ever formed before. I found that a very stiff boot kept the PF pain at bay. But it sure hurt when I took the boots off and put on camp shoes. I was shown a cool massage trick by an ultimate Frisbee "super star" who damaged both PF's at the same time and spent a lot of time in PT for it. Basically use one thumb to mimic the proper positioning of the PF while releasing the tension on the ligament with the other hand by bending the toes forward. Hold for 30 seconds, repeat as many times a day as you can. Now whenever I feel even a slight twinge in my arch I immediately do this. I have been PF free for about 4 years now after battling it off and on for about 10.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 12:45 pm 
Trail Angel wrote:
It ranges from discomfort to crippling, usually somewhere in between.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 4:51 am 
So, it's been nearly a year since the beginning of my Plantar Fasciitis problem and after giving up basketball and very limited hiking throughout the year, my problem is very nearly gone, with only occasional pain...interestingly, even when I simply think about playing basketball again my foot will begin to hurt, lol. So, my question is, should I attempt to play basketball again and if so how far back might it set my recovery and-or should I give it more time? I am 55 and recently retired, and since June 1st have not been on my feet for 8 hrs per day as I was, my condition quickly improved during the 1st few months of retirement. I know the easy answer is "No way!"...don't do it! Problem is I have always loved playing and also miss the exercise. Another concern is that it might set me back far enough to mess up my Summer hiking plans. Please don't tell me to ask my Doctor, they don't know anything, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 am 
Everything in moderation is probably possible. Be sensitive to the signals your body is sending. Various tears might be a bigger concern. You might be moving in ways and at speeds your body is not used to and that can lead to injuries.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am 
Can't address playing basketball. Time to heal is really the only way. I spent a lot of time swimming to keep in shape with PF. I have switched to hiking/backpacking in low rise trail runners. When you don't have a huge heel cushion you will develop a slightly different stride with less heel strike. I also began use trekking poles most of the time as well, which slightly reduces leg stress. I have had no further PF issues after making these changes.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So, my question is, should I attempt to play basketball again and if so how far back might it set my recovery and-or should I give it more time?
Every case of PFitis is different, but the answer is usually "hell no." I can't think of worse footwear for PFitis than basketball shoes.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 12:43 pm 
I was afraid of that. Problem is I have a problem with someone telling me I can't do something, not meaning you Steve or anyone in particular. I also miss the camaraderie of the guys, and if I go to hang out, I'll probably end up playing. Maybe I will simulate some basketball action and see what happens and maybe try stretching it a bit prior.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
What about off the shelf orthotics? I've had better results with those than the $$$ doctor made ones. Arch support is part of the "cure". Now I need to go for a walk... up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 2:44 pm 
Over 50: avoid percussive martial arts and basketball if you want to limit injury.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 pm 
Sounds about right. Turned 50 last year. Don't have PF but high arches have taken their toll. Pranced around in flip flops with nary any issue less than 2 years ago. As of late walking is only tolerable with custom orthotics.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 4:54 pm 
For me, nothing worked until I started wearing the night splint. It seems that when you relax in sleep, your feet go into a pointed toe position, allowing cramping of the fascia. With the splint, my foot stayed at right angles to my leg, so no cramping. (That's why, if you sleep streteched out full length, and are borderline on height, you probably want the longer size sleeping bag.) Of course I tried all the other ideas here, too. The internet is full of ideas, although I tried to stick with recognized medical sites because there's a lot of quackery out there. While since the big attack, there's been an occasional twinge of pain, very gentle stretching before and after hiking/exercise walking helps. Stretching must be gentle so as not to tear anything! I also found that, for me, the green Superfeet really helped (and continue to do so). I haven't had to use the night splint for several years, but I keep it around just in case. Of course everyone's feet are different, so (like me) you'll want to try all the suggestions here to find out what works for you. I didn't find either the GP or the podiatrist to be much help, either.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey