Forum Index > Trip Reports > Walking in circles in the Methow Valley
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm 
Last week I headed to the Methow Valley to get in my last couple big training days with the sled. It was bitter cold over there, which is exactly what I was looking for… although at -10F in the Methow, it was still 20 degrees warmer than temps reported in Alaska last week. Brrr. I had two loops planned out: Day 1 was a Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek loop, as suggested by friend and fellow coach Alison, who not only sent me on a great route, but also met me at 930 pm with a delicious cupcake AND let me crash in her guest room. Thanks Alison! Day 2 was the Chewuch River Loop, which was less scenic than Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek but still lovely. Day 1 – Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek Loop The first route was from Yellowjacket sno-park to Goat Creek sno-park, and then run (walk) the road in between. Caltopo mapped it at 24 miles, but by the time I completed the loop my Suunto was calling it 29 miles. Regardless, it was a long cold afternoon/evening in the snow and a very valuable training day.
Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek loop
Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek loop
I left my house in Seattle at around 5 am, and after stopping at the Rocking Horse Bakery for second breakfast, I made it to the Yellow Jacket sno-park in the Methow by approx 10:30 am. (If the roads are clear, this is typically a 4.5 – 5 hr trip. I went slower because both Snoqualmie Pass and Blewett Pass were covered in compact snow and ice.) I got all my gear situated in my sled and then took off up the trail towards Yellow Jacket Pass. I was getting a much later start than usual, but I wanted to experience some really cold temps and I knew my best bet for that was to be out after sunset.
Rocking Horse Bakery – always worth a stop
Rocking Horse Bakery – always worth a stop
For most of the way up to Yellow Jacket Pass I was walking in approx 4-5 inches of fresh powder. The snow was light and powdery and it was fairly easy going, except for that damn sled behind me. Just before I reached the pass, two snowmobiles went by. Both guys slowed down and waved as they drove past me. They were the only people I’d see on the trail all day.
Views from the trail
Views from the trail
Soon enough I was over Yellow Jacket Pass and enjoying the gently rolling terrain of Black Pine Basin. By now it was about 330 pm, and starting to get dark. Up ahead I saw the same two snowmobilers, who were now headed back to the trailhead. They stopped to chat and expressed some concern about my planned route for the evening, especially given the temps (it dropped below zero as we stood there chatting). They told me of a shelter where I could bivy in case of emergency. I thought it was nice of them to stop and check in.
Trail through Black Pine Basin
Trail through Black Pine Basin
After they drove off it was just me and the snow and the full moon. Wow that moon was amazing! I didn’t even have to turn on my headlamp. Eventually I started the descent down towards Goat Creek Sno-Park, and while I was grateful not to be hauling a heavy sled uphill anymore, I realized that the good part about going uphill is that it keeps you warm. At this point the sun was down, the temps were -5 to -10F, and I was hardly working at all as I cruised downhill. I put on every layer I had, included a down expedition-weight jacket, and was still a little chilly. Note to self: pack even more layers for AK!
Moonlight on the descent towards Goat Creek
Moonlight on the descent towards Goat Creek
Who needs a flash when the moon is this bright?
Who needs a flash when the moon is this bright?
Mazama? Yes please!
Mazama? Yes please!
Eventually I reached the Goat Creek Sno-Park, and noticed a big truck slowly driving up the road towards me. It was Alison! She had brought me an amazingly delicious cupcake, and she also had her two adorable girls in the car (one kiddo, one pup). She invited me into the truck cab, and we chatted briefly as I crammed the cupcake in my mouth. After a few minutes, I reluctantly got out of the truck and headed off. All I had left now were 8 miles of road-walking back to my car. (Of course Alison offered me a ride, and of course I couldn’t accept.)
Alison and her girls
Alison and her girls
The road walk was pretty uneventful, except for the last few miles, as I trudged along Lost River Rd in the dark. I noticed a car coming my direction, and then right after passing me, it flipped a u-turn, pulled over behind me, and turned off its headlights. This was not Alison’s truck. I stopped to face the car. A tall man got out and started walking towards me. “You’ve had quite a night!” I laughed nervously. The road was completely dark and there was absolutely no one else around. “Why do you say that?” He kept coming walking towards me. “Well, you’ve just been out here awhile! With the sled!” And then he stopped and said “I’m one of the guys from the snowmobiles!” At this point he was close enough that I could see his face, and he was was indeed one of the snowmobile guys, smiling kindly. He shielded his eyes from my headlamp and said “Well, I’d offer you a ride, but I’m guessing you don’t want one.” I confirmed, and then he got in his car and drove back the way he came. From what I could tell, the only reason he’d been driving down that road was to make sure I’d made it out of the woods OK. There are good people in the world. Day 2 – Chewuch River Loop I finished the Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek loop, went back to Alison’s house, inhaled a box of mac n’ cheese, and then slept for a few hours. Before I knew it, my alarm was going off and it was time to get back on the trail. On tap for that day was the Chewuch River Loop. This route is not as scenic as Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek, but I knew that the Chewuch Loop was relatively flat + it had been recently groomed=a great way to knock out some miles with the sled in tow.
Chewuch Loop
Chewuch Loop
I saw zero humans from start to finish, and after the first 1/2 mile, my footprints were the only tracks in the snow, other than a few wild critters. It boggled my mind that an entire 25-mile loop could be groomed on Wednesday, and by Thursday night not a single person (except for me) had yet to set foot/wheel/ski on it. Amazing!
The start of the Chewuch Loop. There were 3 sets of footprints that ended after the first 1/2 mile. After that, perfectly groomed for 25 miles.
The start of the Chewuch Loop. There were 3 sets of footprints that ended after the first 1/2 mile. After that, perfectly groomed for 25 miles.
Just me and a couple of coyotes on the Chewuch River
Just me and a couple of coyotes on the Chewuch River
Open water along the east side of the Chewuch Loop. I opted for the snow bridge on the right.
Open water along the east side of the Chewuch Loop. I opted for the snow bridge on the right.
One set of small kitty tracks that I followed for quite awhile
One set of small kitty tracks that I followed for quite awhile
Chewuch River ice
Chewuch River ice
The Chewuch Loop was even less eventful than the Yellow Jacket/Goat Creek loop. It was basically one foot in front of the other, stopping occasionally to eat, drink, and add or subtract a layer. After the previous day, I knew how much colder it would get after sunset, so I pre-emptively layered up as dusk approached. Staying ahead of the chill definitely helped, although I was still shivering by the time I reached my vehicle. These training days in the Methow gave me a new appreciation for the cold. Even at a relatively balmy -10F, I felt like the margin of error was small. You can’t stop moving for long, because you start losing heat immediately. So I made a plan for every stop, thinking about the order in which I would do things to maximize warmth and minimize time stopped (hint: putting on the big down jacket always comes first, no matter how badly you have to pee.) There’s no doubt that traveling through snow on foot, with a sled attached to your waist, is clunky and inefficient. Even so, I’m really enjoying the learning process: dialing in the gear, determining which bars are best when frozen (Lara bars are good, Clif bars are not), and generally figuring out how to stay comfortable in a harsh environment. It’s a skill that I’m far from mastering, but it’s fun to try!
The Columbia River on my drive home
The Columbia River on my drive home
https://evergreenendurance.com/2017/01/18/winter-loops-in-the-methow/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:19 am 
Good stuff. The Methow is such a special place.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 am 
up.gif I can't wait to start my Methow migrations for 2017.

Living in the Anthropocene
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:53 pm 
I typically don't read linked trip reports, but for some reason did so this time. I'm glad I did. That was a fun read. Most excellent. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 pm 
Galiwalker, curious why you don't read linked reports? I sometimes copy and paste text/photos from my blog, but that can get really tedious, especially if I try to fix formatting issues. I don't really care if people read my TR here or on my blog, I just don't want to host all my TRs here. I wish there were an easy way to copy and paste an entire TR, including pictures. I'm open to suggestions!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:04 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
Galiwalker, curious why you don't read linked reports?
Laziness! embarassedlaugh.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:11 pm 
smile.gif I can relate to that. Same reason I don't like to copy/paste!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm 
I enjoyed your account of your training jaunts in the matchless Methow. You will be ready for Alaska! But don't forget your hot-weather training on those Guatemalan volcanoes... biggrin.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
iron

iron
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:28 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
jdk610 wrote:
Galiwalker, curious why you don't read linked reports?
Laziness! embarassedlaugh.gif
i never read linked reports.

jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm 
OK, I'll bite. Why don't YOU read linked reports? Also lazy?

iron

iron
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:39 pm 
to me, it doesn't feel like someone is part of the nwhikers community to me. it's like: "hey, look at my blog and increase my hit count so i can generate an extra $0.001 per click!"

jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:52 pm 
Iron, I get that. For what it's worth, I don't care if my trip reports are read here or if you click through to my blog (as mentioned above). I just like having all my trip reports in one place, catalogued in a way that makes sense to me. Hence the blog. Which then brings me to the question of how to share my trip reports here without seeming self-promotional, and without the tedious copy and paste process. (Especially photos, which have to be individually inserted, but that's probably just because I'm old and not technically savvy.)

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 4:58 pm 
Personally I enjoy reading the full stories on jdk's blog, which I never would have known about without the links she gives in her TRs here. Very simple...read 'em, or don't. So is there a problem? (self disclosure: being retired I probably have more free time to click links cool.gif )

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm 
Thanks for the report. Put me also in the does not usually click camp. Might put something in to make it easier to paste text and images in 1 step for those that compose elsewhere.

jdk610

jdk610
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:54 pm 
Tom, that would be awesome!