Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Grizzly Bear Restoration in North Cascades
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 pm 
.625 deaths per year for the current 1,500 bears times 13.33% (200/1500) yields .83 deaths per decade. So I'll revise my previous estimate from several per decade to about one every ten years or so. Whether that's ok or not, I haven't commented. I find statistics plenty useful for framing a discussion like this. I also recognize that these are just rough estimates, but if we do put grizzlies into the environment, eventually someone will be killed because of that decision.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm 
My Mom told me a story tonight about when they first reintroduced Grizzly's here in N Idaho, that they would take old horses who were no longer useful, tie them to trees in the woods and leave them for the bears. Not sure of the authenticity of this story, but if it's true that's just sad and wrong. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:49 pm 
That surely sounds like an old Moms tale. lol.gif I was not aware that grizzlies were ever introduced to ID. They have always been present as far as I know.

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Dangerous? The issue is the relative risk or likelihood of bear attack and the statistics show that it is just about the same. You are way more likely to be killed by lightning than a bear.
That is a totally bogus statistic. Ask yourself what percentage of the population live where lightening occurs and what percentage of the population are where grizzlies inhabit. I'd rather see a baseline of hikers in grizzly inhabited areas versus attacks, not just deaths.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:56 pm 
There was one tourist charge by a grizzly and it killed her little dog just outside of GNP the summer I spent there. There was also a family struck by lightning, none of them died. Two employees of the main concessionaire died falling while hiking/climbing in separate incidences. A tourist fell off the highline trail and was killed when it was not yet melted out and still closed. A woman pushed her husband off a cliff and he died... There were no deaths attributed bear attacks that summer, and I think no more deaths although I could be missing one. The most common cause of death in Glacier is drowning, followed by heart attacks. This is a very populated park with a healthy grizzly population...

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 1:28 am 
Humptulips wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Dangerous? The issue is the relative risk or likelihood of bear attack and the statistics show that it is just about the same. You are way more likely to be killed by lightning than a bear.
That is a totally bogus statistic. Ask yourself what percentage of the population live where lightening occurs and what percentage of the population are where grizzlies inhabit. I'd rather see a baseline of hikers in grizzly inhabited areas versus attacks, not just deaths.
It is what it is. I see your point. But since it seems you don't have that baseline number you seek, then any objection is premature. Additionally the baseline itself could be endlessly argued. The fact remains that my statistics are true, yet very few people have an irrational fear of lightening. Florida: 1,414,284 strikes per year with an average of 24.7 per square mile. -Five fatalities in 2012. A total of 32 since 2006. -463 deaths from 1959-2011, which is the most of any state. Yet people don't seem to be afraid to travel or move to Florida In the US, 1047 people have died in an avalanche from 2000 to 2016, for an average of 65.44 per year. Maybe that is a more relevant statistic for you. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
drm

drm
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 am 
RumiDude wrote:
yet very few people have an irrational fear of lightening
Many if not most of our fears are not rational in the sense of being proportional to statistical risk. Just compare the risk and fear of driving vs commercial flying. Just how often have you heard somebody say that they have been afraid to fly since 9/11? Bears and planes, odd to pair them, but both create irrational fears.

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
It is what it is. I see your point. But since it seems you don't have that baseline number you seek, then any objection is premature. Additionally the baseline itself could be endlessly argued. The fact remains that my statistics are true, yet very few people have an irrational fear of lightening. Florida: 1,414,284 strikes per year with an average of 24.7 per square mile.-Five fatalities in 2012. A total of 32 since 2006.-463 deaths from 1959-2011, which is the most of any state.Yet people don't seem to be afraid to travel or move to FloridaIn the US, 1047 people have died in an avalanche from 2000 to 2016, for an average of 65.44 per year. Maybe that is a more relevant statistic for you.
Your statistics may be true but it is not a valid comparison. Hikersarenumber1 makes your point much better. It is not my job to validate your comparison by providing different statistic. I doubt anyone is afraid to move to Montana because they fear grizzlies as people are not afraid to move to Florida because of fear of being eaten by a gator. Just the same the average hiker probably doesn't wish to come upon a grizzly in the trail or a gator in the trail. I don't think there is any irrational fear in that.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 pm 
Humptulips wrote:
It is not my job to validate your comparison by providing different statistic.
I didn't say you did. I only noted you have no statistics to validate your objections, thus your objection is premature. Here is another set of numbers for us all to consider. Last year, 2016, there were approximately 8.5 million visitors to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier National Parks, the areas where grizzly bears seem to be concentrated. There were zero deaths to grizzly bears in those parks in 2016. One death near Glacier NP did occur but I have no numbers of how many people visited the surrounding areas near the parks. EDIT:
Humptulips wrote:
Your statistics may be true but it is not a valid comparison.
I think what you are really saying is that you don't think my statistics are relevant. Regardless, my statistics are valid. I clearly stated what they represented. A person is more likely to be killed by lightening than a grizzly bear. People on this forum often cite a similar idea when the claim "you're more likely to die in traffic accident on the way to the trailhead than ..." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm 
There were 2 attacks just outside Yellowstone when we were there in September. In one attack, 3 campers were mauled and one died. A Bozeman couple were also attacked just North of the park.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm 
Schroder wrote:
In one attack, 3 campers were mauled and one died.
According to the stats here, only one death by grizzly bear in 2016, Brad Treat riding mountain bikes on U.S. Forest Service land near Halfmoon Lakes south of GNP. Other than that, I could not find any other lists of bear attack deaths. Rumi

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:10 pm 
Maybe Schroder is referring to this? Looks like 2010. According to this headline deaths from grizzly attacks in the Northern Rockies are averaging more than 1 per year since 2010, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 9:15 pm 
And if there are only 1,500 bears, one death per year is a pretty high lethality rate. Grizzly bears are a least 200 times more dangerous than black bears given that there are at least 300,000 black bears in the continental U.S. One grizzly encounter, is more dangerous than 200 black bear encounters. This number could be even understated because black bears generally live closer to people and may have many more encounters per bear. It's not irrational to be concerned about an encounter with a grizzly if you are likely to have such an encounter. Statistics based on people driving through a park are meaningless. What matters is the outcome of encounters in a wilderness setting. What percentage of the time does a grizzly encounter in the wilderness lead to an attack? If 1,400 of the 1,500 grizzlies in the continental U.S. have no encounters in a given year, then 1℅ of the remaining bears are killing someone every year. Filling in the details on these type of numbers would be much more interesting than talking about lightning. Very likely the only real way to avoid fatalities, is to avoid encounters and the only way to avoid encounters is through voluntary or non-voluntary restrictions.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Statistics based on people driving through a park are meaningless.
Why? I spent a whole summer in Glacier National Park, hiking 4-5 days a week. I saw bears along the road, lots. I saw bears outside my house, a few. I saw signs of bears in the back country, but I saw absolutely no bears.
Bernardo wrote:
What matters is the outcome of encounters in a wilderness setting.
How many of the attacks listed are in a wilderness setting?
Bernardo wrote:
What percentage of the time does a grizzly encounter in the wilderness lead to an attack? If 1,400 of the 1,500 grizzlies in the continental U.S. have no encounters in a given year, then 1℅ of the remaining bears are killing someone every year. Filling in the details on these type of numbers would be much more interesting than talking about lightning.
How many attacks were the result of ignorance? How many were due to improperly hung food, or over confident photographers? In 2015, 2,367,000 people visited Glacier National Park. Over half of those people report taking a hike. You can peruse this list of bear attacks, I have no idea on accuracy, but keep in mind, 1 out of every 16,000 North Americans will murder someone every year.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 am 
You are lucky you didn't see a bear while hiking given how dangerous they are! Just kidding. My point is really that grizzlies are very dangerous animals. There are relatively few deaths, because there aren't that many encounters, not because they are docile. There are only 1,500 in the U.S. yet they kill someone every year. That's a very dangerous animal. You may be ok with that, but I don't think we should downplay how dangerous they are.