Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Secretary of Agriculture
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 pm 
The nominee is former Georgia governor Sonny Perdue. Among other things, he will be running the US Forest Service, which of course manages the lands on which most of us hike and otherwise recreate. Evidently he's a former veterinarian and an agribusiness owner. Does anyone know anything more about him?

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 pm 
His real business is trading agricultural and resource commodities expect a lot more timber sales. His most mentioned act as govener was to hold a prayer vigil to try to end a drought in Georgia. He waz elected on a promise to hold a vote to overturn the previous decision to remove the confederate battle flag from the Georgia state flag. The vote replaced it with the official confederate flag known as "stars and bars".

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 pm 
From the Washington Post:
Quote:
Trump has said that environmental regulations are “undermining our incredible farmers,” and some observers expect cuts to environmental and conservation programs at the Agriculture Department on his watch, as a Republican-controlled Congress moves to pass a new farm bill. “It should be no surprise that the incoming Trump administration, which has proposed putting executives from Big Food and Big Oil in top cabinet positions, would pick someone like Governor Perdue – who has received taxpayer-funded farm subsidies – to lead the Department of Agriculture,” the Environmental Working Group said in a statement Wednesday night. “It’s certainly hard to imagine that a former fertilizer salesman will tackle the unregulated farm pollution that poisons our drinking water, turns Lake Erie green, and fouls the Chesapeake Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.”

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
His real business is trading agricultural and resource commodities expect a lot more timber sales. His most mentioned act as govener was to hold a prayer vigil to try to end a drought in Georgia. He waz elected on a promise to hold a vote to overturn the previous decision to remove the confederate battle flag from the Georgia state flag. The vote replaced it with the official confederate flag known as "stars and bars".
I doubt it. More timber sales would require more workers hired. The timber program has been gutted. It will take some time to put it back together. A few more timber sales in this area just might get some roads fixed that are used to get to trails and increasing sales is supported by the local community. Remember, the Northwest Forest Plan still exists. I am of the opinion that it needs to be changed or done away with. It has never been followed as far as meeting timber targets and is a joke. It does provide jobs for 'ologists and that's about it. Meanwhile, I doubt the guy even knows he'll be in charge of the FS. The interior nominee mentioned that he liked public lands was a supporter of National Forests...He probably didn't know the difference either. There's not a lot of flags in the woods, other than flagging tape. Take a deeeeeeep breath and calm down.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:22 pm 
Problem is that I distrust anyone with the name "Sonny" (right up there with "Bubba"). Checking online, I find his real name (which he doesn't use) is George Ervin Perdue III. It's surprising how many people think that National Forests are under the Park Service!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm 
I guess he might not be as hideously bad as some of Trump's other picks, though considering how truly evil and corrupt they are that's not saying much!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:47 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I guess he might not be as hideously bad as some of Trump's other picks
There aren't that many to compare him to. As of this writing Trump has nominated only 30 people for 660 executive branch positions. There will be a lot of empty offices on Inauguration Day.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 9:02 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I guess he might not be as hideously bad as some of Trump's other picks, though considering how truly evil and corrupt they are that's not saying much!
I am no fan, but we haven't had time to see what they do. The Tyson Chicken guy was appointed during either Clinton or Bush's time and he eventually was forced to resign due to his connections. Let's see what happens before pushing the WOE button.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:51 pm 
POLITICS!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
contour5

contour5
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm 
Quote:
POLITICS!
No no no no no. It's just Stewardship issues abutting the forbidden realm. If everybody stays on topic we'll be fine here. I know we can do this! Secretary of Agriculture is the chief steward of all the federal forests. He or she can institute policy changes that massively affect peon access and usage parameters. A genius pick might give us a boatload of new trails with clever high tech signage and navigational features, rainbows, unicorns and hot showers at the trailheads. A wrong turn might involve, say, the declaration of some bogus emergency followed by the closure of all trails pursuant to the immediate occupation by military forces for the purpose of conducting live fire exercises up to and including the detonation of incredibly smart and stylishly sophisticated nuclear devices. Really high class bombs, mind you. Tremendous bombs. So I was hoping for an earthmother hippie type hiker sportsman person to win this posting, but such an outcome is looking increasingly unlikely. A plethora of unfortunate trajectories are suddenly become manifest... sort of waiting for the other axe to fall,,,

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 9:34 am 
Department of Agriculture has now joined the EPA as being under a total shutdown of communications from scientists until further notice. We will only be getting "alternative" facts from government agencies from now on. Welcome to 1984. shakehead.gif Same thing happened in Canada under Harper for a while.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
drm

drm
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:07 am 
Trump lauded Perdue's background as a farmer in his nomination, but in our part of the country, the Dept of Ag does not focus so much on growing food. I think the as-yet unchosen Chief of the Forest Service will be more relevant to our concerns as a farmer from Georgia will probably delegate a lot to that person.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am 
drm wrote:
Trump lauded Perdue's background as a farmer in his nomination, but in our part of the country, the Dept of Ag does not focus so much on growing food. I think the as-yet unchosen Chief of the Forest Service will be more relevant to our concerns as a farmer from Georgia will probably delegate a lot to that person.
Open your eyes! I am thinking our Warshington State produces the most spuds, not to mention impressive volumes wheat, fruit, wine, cows, etc. We've got a few USDA research stations around.

drm

drm
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Open your eyes! I am thinking our Warshington State produces the most spuds, not to mention impressive volumes wheat, fruit, wine, cows, etc. We've got a few USDA research stations around.
I was thinking of nwhikers.net than the state in general.

Up There 2

Up There 2
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm