Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommendation for winter boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:38 am 
My Merrell boots have expired and I need to replace them. I liked how they fit and wanted to order another pair. No such luck, Merrel is coming out with a new version later in the year. I'd like to get another pair of boots asap as I'm in the middle of enjoying all the snowshoeing opportunities. While I realize that matching up feet and boots/shoes are fairly particular to each person, I'd enjoy hearing what boot you like to wear snowshoeing. This may help expedite my search and/or make me aware of options I'm not thinking of. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jared_j

jared_j
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 11:03 am 
Do you desire to do other things with these boots in the snow like kick steps in firm snow, occasionally wear them with crampons on steeper firm slopes, etc? The reason I ask is that I'd recommend a boot that is relatively stiffer in the sole if you want to do these activities. If not (e.g. purely for snowshoeing and walking around on less steep terrain), then I consider the stiffness to be less critical. There's usually a good dust-up in this forum when discussing winter boots and issues of waterproofness (or lack thereof). Many boots on the market feature a GoreTex layer of some sort, and whether or not this is a useful or effective feature is a hotly debated topic.

Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 11:28 am 
JJ, great questions/comments. These would be strictly for snowshoeing and kicking around in comparable terrain.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm 
My Columbia Bugaboots are serving me well in Bend OR, where the weather has been mostly teens or negative for that last month or so. I wouldn't want to do a 15 mile hike in them, but for snowshoeing and tromping around and spending hours standing in the snow shoveling out my house/driveway/sidewalk they have served me well. And you can usually find them on sale.

friluftsliv
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 am 
Vasque Sundowners are my summer and winter boot. I occasionally spray waterproofing on in winter but haven't had a problem with wet feet even when I don't do that for awhile.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 am 
In the link you posted it seemed like most of the sizes are available in the brown (espresso) color, and on sale? Are those the boots you liked so well?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Kirt

Kirt
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 12:28 am 
I tried to order them and was told they are out of stock. Tried at two local stores and online. I ended up buying these.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 12:47 am 
I, like many other hikers like Asolo boots, I paid $220 for mine online, and they can be re-soled.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kirt

Kirt
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 9:43 am 
Which Asolo boot in particular do you have?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 pm 
520 gtx...I seem to recall some hikers having sole separation issues with Asolo's but don't recall which model/s? https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=asolo+520+gtx As a side note, Shoe Goo is an amazing product, I have repaired a myriad of items with it, new age duct tape and bailing wire! The stuff dries rock hard, I just repaired a magnesium gearbox cover with it, worked great.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 1:11 pm 
LichenHiking wrote:
Vasque Sundowners are my summer and winter boot.
They were mine too, they come in wide which I need, all-leather upper for water resistance, very comfortable, until I moved to this small town where I can't try them on. So now I have Hi-Tech Altitudes, they also come in wide, also all-leather upper, much cheaper, very comfortable for me, holding up well.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 1:34 pm 
I had a pair of Hi-tech boots and they held up amazingly well for the price.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:07 pm 
Those look really cool, I am very tempted to make an impuse by at that price! Do you you know how the sizes run? I wear from a 9.5 to a 10.5, My Asolos are 10's.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:57 pm 
Dang it, this thread just cost me 90 bucks! Almost held back, but my Asolos are a bit short for Winter boots, especially where I'm at in Idaho where the average yearly snowfall is 80 inches.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 10:04 pm 
Ya, plus they might be a bit more waterproof? I will also use them for snowmobiling here in Idaho. How do the sizes run? I ordered a 10 which is usually good, hope they run a bit big so room for thicker socks. Always a bit of a gamble ordering online, but it was a good price.