Forum Index > Gear Talk > How do you keep your water from freezing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:42 pm 
FWIW: "8000 meter" down jackets have inside pockets for holding water bottles. A stainless steel thermos with hot tea (or just hot water) will keep from freezing pretty long when carried in a pack. Also useful and lighter are plastic insulated "bike" bottles. Polar is a good brand. SkiMo racers use a bottle carrier that attaches to the shoulder strap and allows easy drinking with a minimum of fiddling around and positions the bottle in a way that doesn't interfere with ski pole usage, balance, stride length or bruise your hip if you fall on it -- unlike insulated water bottle carriers for 1 liter nalgene bottles that attach to your pack's waistband. Hydration tube systems -- even with an insulated hose cover and mouthpiece cover aren't useful below -5C. The only way I've seen "hose" systems work reliably in temps below -5C are slim hydration only packs that are worn over the base layer, but inside your insulating layers. This works fine for skiing with no pack or a very light pack -- but may not work so well when you need to carry a heavier load. I'll echo what Big Steve said about sweat management -- don't sweat in winter -- even if this means striping down to single layer while heading uphill. I was skinning a week ago in -20C , but calm conditions and was down to just a full zip stretch top unzipped fully and all the side vents on my pants fully opened. The feeling on my skin was brisk -- but I avoided sweating. My companions were confused and kept asking "are you hot?" When we gained a ridge and high point and the breeze was blowing -- I zipped up and added an insulating layer and a wind breaker and was comfortable. My companions that had been more bundled up on the ascent had dampness in their base layers, so even with adding more layers they were not interested in lingering and enjoying the view. I also make a practice of being super well hydrated before hitting the trail -- drinking at least a liter or more of various liquids in the morning.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 am 
OR makes an insulated water bottle holder for winter use. Works well.
RandyHiker wrote:
My companions that had been more bundled up on the ascent had dampness in their base layers
I always bring two extra top base layers in winter to change into when (not if) I sweat.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 am 
cartman wrote:
I always bring two extra top base layers in winter to change into when (not if) I sweat.
Yeah that works most of the time in the PNW where Temps are moderate. Have you tried changing wet base layers when temps are more like -20C (-4F) and a breeze is blowing?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 am 
Next-to-skin semi-VB top for the win

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 11:11 am 
Yup, pretty much what other folks have said. On day trips from the car, hut, or tent, I start with warm water in a wide mouth bottle. I cover that with a fuzzy wool sock, doubled up (1/2 way inside out on itself). That usually keeps water from freezing in my pack for 10+ hours as long as I keep the bottles surrounded by other gear too. A stove in winter is a real good idea, but getting one going and waiting for hot water or food can be a chilling experience in some weather. I use a vacuum bottle mostly for hot food, and occasionally for hot liquids to drink. Sugar will also decrease the freezing point of water. Koolaid, and the like, have been used for a long time as winter drink mixes.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
jared_j

jared_j
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm 
I use a 40 Below Insulated Bottler Boot 0.5L strapped to my shoulder strap (such that it rides down by the hip) and find it works well. I use my usual MSR Dromlite in the pack for carrying most of my water. I find that the walking / sloshing motion prevents the dromlite from freezing on both overnight and day trips around the PNW. I like the 0.5L bottle since it is smaller and doesn't annoy me flopping around or whatever. I find that I want to take breaks just frequently enough to refill the little bottle from the Dromlite that a lack of capacity isn't an issue. The big 1.0L cozies seem massive to have hanging off the pack. I've never had luck blowing back into a reservoir hose in winter conditions where the temps are below freezing and stay there throughout the day.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 am 
I ski toured in <10F temps for about 8 hours a bit over a week ago with someone who kept her water flowing from her bladder/hose combo with the blowing trick. She did seem to be having a little trouble at one point but somehow got it flowing again, maybe by thawing the mouthpiece. Too much hassle for me...

Kirt

Kirt
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Thanks to you all for the great tips/ideas/comments. Looks like I'll go with 1 tablespoon of water for every liter of vodka and the drink may not freeze. But, I may not wake up until spring time... lol.gif Seriously, I always appreciate the wealth of knowledge this group has and is willing to share.

avlfive

avlfive
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm 
I haven't used it yet but I got one of these Nalgene Insulated Sleeves.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:18 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
cartman wrote:
Yeah that works most of the time in the PNW where Temps are moderate. Have you tried changing wet base layers when temps are more like -20C (-4F) and a breeze is blowing?
Yes, on the summit of McCausland with temps in the single digits and a stiff breeze on top. Was much happier with the dry layer on.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:36 pm 
I was out skiing over 6 hours in probably mid teens F the day after Christmas. Cold enough for frost to form on the outside of my hat anyway. I used a bladder w/ insulated hose, hot water inside, then in the bladder sleeve of my backpack which is right next to my back where I keep it nice and pitted out, lol. I still had to blow back into the bladder to keep the mouthpiece from freezing up, but the water was still surprisingly warm when I got back to the truck. FWIW: I managed to run out of Cliff bars et al at home so in a little pastic flask I mixed up a paste out of some latte flavored Hammer Perpetuem powder I had at home. This went into an inside coat pocket next to a large zippo hand warmer + lip balm... worked like a champ. Gotta be careful about food in cold weather as some bars, gels, shot bloks, etc. will practically take a filling out when they get cold assuming you can get your teeth through them at all. There was a terrible story from the Yukon Quest years ago about a musher that had done really well up until a checkpoint where he grabbed a handful of peanut M&Ms and just tossed em in... they had frozen down so cold that he instantly frostbit the crap out of the back of his throat and had to drop out of the race to get medical attention. eek.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
OTOH, a tablespoon of water in a liter of vodka will keep your libation liquid, even in a tube.
That's a stiff drink dizzy.gif