Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR Classic Snowshoe strap replacements or alternatives
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
soreyes

soreyes
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 pm 
I have three pairs of MSR Classic snowshoes. All in pretty great condition except for one thing. The straps have become stiff and spilt. I cannibalized one pair for replacements last year and we had two working pairs of snowshoes. This season We have already lost 5 more straps and I ended up using zip ties to get back to the car. MSR sells replacements for 9.95 per 2 straps. For a pair of snowshoes, this runs $40. It feels like an excessive amount of money for rubber straps. Has anyone come up with a decent alternative?

rebooting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:41 pm 
I have an untested idea. I don't particularly care for the rubber straps, so I've considered trying to rig a buckle and webbing system on my MSRs. What I'd really like is a single zig-zag strap over the top of the boot, like I've seen on some other brands of snowshoes, but I haven't experimented yet to see if it will work with the MSR hardware.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 9:30 pm 
I sympathize with trying to save $40 bucks, but those straps work so well for me that I think I just might bite the bullet instead of fiddling. How many years did they last for you?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 3:49 pm 
I keep finding uses for my old classic MSR snowshoes, even though I have fancier ones. And they are one of the lightest and most compact for packing, plus you can cross dirt and rocks without worrying about them if its too much trouble to take them off. But the straps are getting less stretchy on my old pair too. I wonder if nylon bicycle toe straps would work? It is hard to find them for cheaper than $5 each though. If they are long enough and hold without slipping, they might actually be easier than the funky MSR strap design.

friluftsliv
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 5:34 pm 
A picture of the strap and the attachment to the Snowshoe would be nice, for those of us that don't know that brand. I have a pair of what I call cub paws (Shorter than the old Bear paws ---from the very early 70's) pre the Sherpa brand that started the Aluminum framed ones. They were made out of bent bamboo for the frame and neoprene straps. Still have them and are usable. Maybe a nylon center reinforced neoprene strap may be cut to work. https://www.mcmaster.com/#fabric-reinforced-neoprene-rubber/=160j01b

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 6:02 pm 
After looking at the buckle system on my old pair, especially the heel strap, I would say save yourself a lot of anguish and jury rigging, and pay the $40 to rebuild the pair and amortize the cost over the next ten years that the new pair of straps last. Does the $40 include the heel strap? Any improv is going to cost something anyway, so the savings is less than $40. IMHO

friluftsliv
Shadow

Shadow
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 pm 
Once upon a time when I needed new straps for my MSR's, I made a trip to the Outdoor Research Retail Store in South Seattle and one of the guys in the workshop gave me a whole handful of straps (and the little plastic clips to go with them) and I think he charged me about $5. Might be worth checking out if you're ever in that end of town.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm 
The pricing previously mentioned is on point. I would encourage you to get the new straps. With the material improvements, they might last another decade or two. In that decade, if anything else breaks down on the snowshoes, MSR will also repair cheaply. Their service is excellent.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm 
I had a similar but different issue with my first Denali's. The "L" in the metal cleat that hinges snapped right at the bend. I tried to order a replacement from MSR but they wanted $45 for the part when a new pair was $75. I haven't heard of others having the same issue so I don't think it's a common issue. I still find it hard to believe MSR was able to more than double the cost of the Denali's over the course of the model's life with very little changes in the design!