Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This was quite good - Rachel Carson on PBS The American Experience 120min
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 am 
This played last night on PBS KCTS 9 and was a very good biography, and timely once again in the current period of ignorant denial. I had never read "Silent Spring" or either of her two other books and this makes me put that book and perhaps the others on my reading list. Biography of Rachel Carson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 pm 
I just watched it and would have missed it completely if you hadn't posted the link to it. She was a remarkable woman.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
DVR'd it last night, will watch it soon. I read Silent Spring when I was in high school. It was one of a handful of non-fiction books that formed my world view. (Others include Cadillac Desert, Beyond Geography: The Western Spirit Against the Wilderness and Wildlife in America)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 6:57 pm 
It came out when I was in junior high. I did a science fair project feeding rats DDT in 9th grade. Results,were ambiguous not enough adult help to distinguish between acute poising and build up of small exposures over a period of time. Resulted in a lifetime of environmental awareness.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 7:38 pm 
A remarkable human being that showed we can and do have the power to change our environment.

gb

gb
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 2:55 pm 
RichP wrote:
A remarkable human being that showed we can and do have the power to change our environment.
I concur. It is hard to think of another private citizen, save MLK, that had such an impact on American life.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 5:19 pm 
And like MLK, there was a bias against the messenger, in addition to the message. . . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 4:25 pm 
Yes, she was a social revolutionary who spoke truth to power, and a very fine prose writer too. We watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written and directed per American Experience standards of excellence. I'll withhold political comment re looming public funding cuts for PBS, NEA, NPR, etc.