Forum Index > Gear Talk > Keen Durand
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 pm 
Anyone have an opinion? Low or mid? Tried a pair on Thurs and they seemed pretty good. Considering for a shoulder season boot. Something that takes microspikes better than my liteweight summer boots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 7:32 am 
Keen doesn't make BACKPACKING BOOTS as far as I know..there are none with a proper mid-shank in the sole, just floppy non ankle supporting "boots"

mike

mike
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am 
Thanks for your opinion about what constitutes a backpacking boot....but that wasn't the question. Has anyone used these boots specifically?

snowhat

snowhat
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 6:03 pm 
I bought the mid when they first came out last year, and wore them on a Wonderland Trail 10 day trip. They are very comfortable, but not very waterproof (3 straight days of rain). I've since gone back to wearing my Lowa Renegades for hikes now. More waterproof and more comfortable (for me).

wildling

wildling
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 pm 
I have them in the boot version and I really love them. Barely any break in time. They always keep my feet warm and dry. I think wearing gators help keep things dryer in snow or heavy rain. My feet do tend do get a little sweaty or clammy in any shoe after awhile though. I have used them backpacking and hiking over all kinds of terrain, including snow and lots of rain and mud. Have had them for two seasons now and have no plans of changing. I also have wide feet and have tried on tons of boots and these were my favorite fit wise.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 2:20 pm 
Ok for trails once all snow patches are gone. Not for off trail or un-maintained trail. I prefer a boot with distinct sole edges and and traditional heel in rougher ground. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostSun Dec 04, 2016 10:43 pm 
I have been using a pair of Keen Targhee II boots the last year. I was using a pair of Salomon 4d GTX. The Salomon's are a much better boot but the Keens have been more comfortable for me. The longest hike on the Keens that I have done is two 40 mile trips. The biggest drawback for me regarding the Keens has been the foot bed. It is soft. Roots and rocks take a toll on my feet after several miles. However I recently discovered that this same boot is available in a work boot and the only difference seems to be a little stiffer sole. I am going to try a pair. They cost about $10 more. Again, I don't think they are a better boot, I wear them rather lose, they are not water proof at all, but they are comfortable and I don't get blisters or hot spots when wearing them.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 am 
I haven't used the Durants but I do own a couple of pairs of Targhees. I like them a lot. It's the first boot that doesn't feel like it is squishing my feet. All of the other boots I have tried are too tight around the toes. I know some like the harder soles of their boots but I'm the opposite. I like the softer sole - I feel like it grips better than the less flexible boots. As far as waterproof, I don't think they are that great especially in hours of rain or walking through wet brush. however with gaiters, they have been dry in those conditions. And my feet have been fine in the snow too. If I am not wearing my Tevas, these are what I prefer to hike in. My one disclaimer - I will hike in my Teva Terras when I can rather than my boots if it is not wet (cold/wet) or snowy.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 1:37 pm 
I have the women's version of the Targhee, and they have been my favorite boots. So far they have kept my feet dry (haven't done any multi-day trips in the rain, though.) I have worn them with snowshoes (and gaiters) and they do OK, but they are a bit cold, and I'd like a warmer boot for winter when budget allows. These boots are not too hot in the summer, at least they are cooler than my older ankle-high boots. I've found that Keens are about the only boots I can wear now, since my feet have spread wider in my old age. The toe box is nice and wide so I get fewer blisters on my toes. But the ankle area seems narrow enough that the shoe fits me well.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Spot
Spot Mandeux

Spot
Spot Mandeux
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 am 
I just bought a pair of Keen Gypsum II's but was looking at the Durands first and they were really pretty much the same. Wore them for the first time last weekend for a 4 mile hike with a few uneven rocky patches and a couple puddles to skirt around. They are very flexible but I didn't really feel any of the rocks in the mid foot which was good. I only got them submerged an inch or two and they stayed dry. Reviews I read before I purchased them said the waterproofing was more like water resistant. Super comfy - even the mids. For the $$ I say they're a great moderate hiker. Only negative thing I've read in 6 different users reviews was the top two eyelets pull out easily after a few uses. Hope this helps. up.gif