Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Enhancements to read/unread post tracking
Previous :: Next Topic  
zephyr
aka friendlyHiker

zephyr
aka friendlyHiker
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 9:19 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Okay.  Maybe I am not doing it right.  I went to the profile page and checked the box to mark posts automatically read "after each visit".  I clicked the Submit button. 

But when I leave say Trail Talk, go to the Saloon, then come back to Trail Talk, the same threads are still showing unread. 

So maybe it meant to close out of the Forum entirely and then reopen a tab and re-enter.  I tried that and the same threads are showing unread.  Does this mean I have to log out of NWHikers for this to work?  I have it set up so that I am always signed in.  I don't want to have to sign out and in with each visit. 

Used to be that as I would leave a subject  area and return, the threads would mark themselves automatically read.  I thought this was the feature that was being brought back.   I must be missing a step or it doesn't work for me for some reason.  Thanks,  ~z

Note:  I may have figured it out.  I am using Mozilla Firefox.  Even after leaving NWHikers, I had been keeping a browser window open for my email site.  So I decided to close out of Mozilla entirely and voila' I now see that all my posts are marked read.  That must be the key.   Close out of the browser and when I return it thinks it's a new session.  I am sure others can describe it more technically. 
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 22, 2016 5:37 pm 
I think you are mistaken about how things used to work.

A new visit begins after any of the following events occur:
- 1 hour of non-activity
- closing and re-opening your browser
- browsing from a different device or browser
- logging out and back in

When a new visit begins it will mark everything read thru the end of your last visit if you have selected the option in your profile.  The end of your last visit is defined as the last time you clicked on a page (with a 1 minute margin). This is is how things used to work as well.  Let me know if it is not working as described.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendlyHiker

zephyr
aka friendlyHiker
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 9:32 am 
Tom wrote:
This is is how things used to work as well.  Let me know if it is not working as described.

Thank you.  Yes, very helpful.  I appreciate it. ~z
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 2:35 am 
Another related enhancement.  I bumped the "new posts" (active topics) display to 1 week (was 1 day) to make it easier to find unread topics you might have missed.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Enhancements to read/unread post tracking
  Happy Birthday Captain Trips, Backcountry Blake, Flower Sniffer, nwcjc!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: