Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Island County Non-Motorized Trail Plan
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 am 
Island County (Whidbey and Camano Islands) is updating their 2006 trails plan with a $200,000 federal grant allocated for the study. I attended one of the open houses in Coupeville yesterday, which was very well attended. You can take the survey and submit comments here. Most of the material presented concerned shoreline access and bicycle trail and route improvements but there was considerable interest in connecting the Ebey Bluff Trail and PNT to the Fort Ebey and Kettles trail systems. This would make for some excellent long day hikes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 4:26 am 
Just took the survey. Walked Ebey Landing beach and biked Kettle Trails Sat. 2/4. Island County does a great job on access, history, stewardship. With difficult infrastructure(i.e. water/salination/NAS contamination) Whidbey especially has escaped some of the intense development pressure of a Maltby or Woodinville. Best of Luck Island County. Tom in Build it Out at All Costs Snohomish County

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 am 
Ahhhh yes....tideland and beach front ownership exclusion/No Trespass. A WA state mainstay. Needs to change. Tom

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Hmmm... Ive been scolded by reisdents who own bluff property between Ebeys Landing and Fort Casey. Walking the beach and them telling me to about face and return to where I came from. There are posted "private property" signs at the nortn end of the bluff trail you mention and right where the trail heads back down to the beach.
The State owns a strip around the property you mention, before you reach the end of the Bluff Trail. No one had the right to scold you on the beach between Fort Casey and Ebey's landing. This is all State tideland and a designated route of the PNT.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 1:39 pm 
On most of the east side beaches of Whidbey, all the tidelands are privately owned. I'm on Greenbank Beach and our title (and we pay taxes on) includes all the way to the lower low-water line. Almost all of the beaches on the west side North of Hancock Lake are public/ State tideland. At the meeting, the County had maps and a guidebook that showed all public beaches and access.