Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stealth Hike to Jamul Kiln, 01.30.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm 
I've had my eye on this relic from the 19th century for probably a yr. now. Not much info is found online regarding access to it, primarily to discourage vandalism & the potential for trespassing across private property lines. Located w/in the Rancho Jamul Ecological Reserve, one can see it from the summit of my favorite close-to-home pk., Callahan Mtn. up.gif Like others, I will keep w/the tradition of allowing hikers to discover the rt. for themselves rather than spell it out here. Plus, there appears to be multiple approaches. Our choice resulted in a RT distance of about 8.3 mi., w/little ups 'n downs on the way in & out & a couple creek crossings. Typically there would prolly not be any creeks but after several days in a row of rain, we had some pretty good results. smile.gif We managed to avoid BP on foot or truck, but were continually watched by a helicopter circling above. paranoid.gif I met Barb @ the TH & we set off. The 1st part of the trail was familiar. wink.gif
Familiar
Familiar
We veered east, then south, & finally SE. An unleashed dog came running up the trail, then an older man on a golf cart who said nothing to us who I guess somehow must've veered way off the course. confused.gif Shortly thereafter we reached a pond.
Turning east
Turning east
Disappearing...
Disappearing...
Lyons Pk. in the distance
Lyons Pk. in the distance
Turning SE
Turning SE
Pond
Pond
We followed a ravine down to the base of the hills, continued to traverse SE, then reached another pond w/an earthen dam @ the far end. I had remembered the dam from the satellite photos so was reassured we were still on the rt. track. smile.gif
Green field
Green field
Another pond
Another pond
Went thru here
Went thru here
Skirting the pond
Skirting the pond
Lyons Pk.
Lyons Pk.
We continued to traverse, paralleling a rd., & finally it came into view. Crossing a creek became necessary as the hills were squeezing in. We carefully found a spot thru the cattails & other brush & sloshed our way thru, hoping that we wouldn't encounter poison oak. paranoid.gif We passed a youth work crew w/chainsaws cutting fallen limbs from the recent storms, then continued on the rd. One more creek to cross & we were there. up.gif
Walking thru a depression
Walking thru a depression
@ long last it comes into view!
@ long last it comes into view!
One more creek crossing...
One more creek crossing...
As reports had indicated, it was huge! The main kiln was still mostly intact, & there were a few crumbling brick structures on either side. We had our lunch & took photos, admiring the 126 y.o. craftsmanship. I texted a pic to one of my co-workers who was insanely jealous since he has been wanting to come here ever since I told him about the place. wink.gif
Success!
Success!
Zoom of dudleyas growing in the cracks of the kiln
Zoom of dudleyas growing in the cracks of the kiln
Looking up
Looking up
Jamul Kiln
Jamul Kiln
BC w/the Jamul Kiln
BC w/the Jamul Kiln
Looking up
Looking up
Been up there several times
Been up there several times
Jamul Kiln
Jamul Kiln
Other parts of the old structure
Other parts of the old structure
Crumbling bricks
Crumbling bricks
Jamul Kiln
Jamul Kiln
Me & Barb @ the kiln
Me & Barb @ the kiln
Succulents on the ledge
Succulents on the ledge
Kiln
Kiln
Old chimney or some such thing
Old chimney or some such thing
We more or less took the same route back, crossing over creeks & low hills. All the high stepping through tall grass w/surprise gopher holes was taking its toll. I began to feel really exhausted so we took a break in the shade behind a lg. bush. I had a snack & some water & felt a little better. We continued on, & w/in an hr. or so were back @ the cars.
Bye-bye kiln
Bye-bye kiln
Tiny falls
Tiny falls
Barb had to get going for an early dinner downtown, so this time I enjoyed my post-hike marg @ home from my deck. cool.gif up.gif
Post-hike marg on my deck
Post-hike marg on my deck

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm 
What a cool little adventure, B.C.! What was the kiln used for?

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 am 
Mainly cement, I think.

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.