Forum Index > Gear Talk > Yaktrax Summit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 11:49 am 
Has anyone tried these new traction devices from Yaktrax? Normally I would not be caught wearing Yaktrax for serious off trail winter travel, but these seem to be very similar to Kahtoola microspikes with the added benefit of plates that prevent snow build up. Just curious if anyone has had a chance to put them to the test yet? https://yaktrax.com/product/yaktrax_summit

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 1:52 pm 
I have been noticing that YakTrax seems to be buying out a bunch of traction device companies, while still hanging onto their original really awful product. Just recently I saw a runner at the top of Pilot Butte with the classic yaktrax, wire wound rubber, wrapped around his ankle, which is their usual position. Costco was carrying a carbide spike type that said YakTrax, and used to be something else. REI carries the icetrekkers diamond grip, which is now yaktrax, but my sister has them with a different brand name on them from a couple years ago. What you linked to seems to be another Yaktrax aquisition. Apparently Kahootla wouldn't sell out to them. smile.gif definitely similar to Microspikes and should be similar in effectiveness. Maybe even an improvement over Microspikes. Getting Spikes on can be a real challenge on a snow icy trail. The Summit can be tightened into place with some sort of cable system. That looks intriguing. The ball of foot plate either addresses the Spikes issue of balling up with ice under certain conditions...or will make it worse. I wonder if they are bulky to stow and if they weigh less or more than Spikes? And that price tag? eek.gif $90 !!! I am already choking on the $75 for Spikes (which seem to last about 3 years before danger of rubber breaking.) At $90 I would also wonder about how long that cable lasts. The Icetrekkers have a cable that holds the "diamond" grippers in place and gets a lot of complaints about that cable rusting through in a season or less. Buy 'em and tell us how they work out! cool.gif up.gif Odd thing, down her in Bend OR. Use of traction devices seems to be about 10 years behind Seattle trend. I get many people asking about and lusting after my Microspikes. The rare few that are aware of traction devices are about 90% using the crappy wire wound rubber Yaks.

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 2:02 pm 
FWIW STP has these for $26 or so with coupon. They also carry various Yaktrax

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm 
Those look cool! FWIW, I bought the "Snowtrax" by Yaktrax from Costco this year. They are different from what they had in the past. I let my hubby use them on our hike to Rattlesnake Ledge yesterday. He was the only one who slipped on the way down, 2 or 3 times. frown.gif The tiny little cleats got clogged with ice and dirt. One of my kids had on a pair of Yaktrax, and the other had on a pair of Eddie Bauer Yaktrax knock-offs. Neither of them fell, though they both said they had once or twice when they slipped a little bit. My son said his hit his boot right where the ball of his foot was, and it got uncomfortable after awhile. I had on Kahtoolas, and I was fine both up and down. Sigh, I love my Kahtoolas so much! wub.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 12:46 pm 
I recently received an email article / video on the Yaktrax Summit with some comparison vs Microspikes.

Living in the Anthropocene
john512
john512

john512
john512
PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:48 pm 
looks cool. is it bang for the buck?

John